Author Topic: C14 - Let's play dodge the deer  (Read 12162 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
C14 - Let's play dodge the deer
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
I'm going on an after work trip through rural GA to visit daughter. Because it will involve night travel and I always see so many deer in the roads, beside of the roads, herds in the fields, etc etc I almost elected to CAGE IT      

Then I came to my senses. Bike, heated gear, clothes are packed for an after work trip tomorrow 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gsun

Re: C14 - Let's play dodge the deer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »
Hey - time to try a deer whistle!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »
I despise the overgrown forest rats. Big a$$ lights help, but don't do much good when You have oncoming traffic. About the only solution I have is to go slow on rural highways.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline c1obrien

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
I took mine up to Victoria Island B.C. a few years ago, and the local guys told me they swear by deer whistles on their bikes. At first I thought they might be leading me on, but I saw their machines and they all had them. I was sceptical, but bought one anyway (when in Rome). Haven't hit a deer yet, which of course proves absolutely nothing.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »
Last summer leaving Austin at 4am, deer was my greatest worry. It's the main reason I avoid night riding. Would love to see a scientific study on deer whistles. Hmmmm... maybe Mythbusters would do it.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
Haven't read through it, yet. http://www.deercrash.org/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

Read it ...convinced me that they may or may not help   ::)

I've run deer whistles for several years now.  Might not help but can't hurt either. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
Read it ...convinced me that they may or may not help   ::)

I've run deer whistles for several years now.  Might not help but can't hurt either.

:goodpost: The conclusion of the study seems to be very inconclusive.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
I used to go out and do MC tagging @ 2 to 6am... the Ninja Of The Night.  After my last run... 5 or 6 of those things decided to jump IN to the road instead of turning around... I said no more Ninja Of The Night.   
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
After reading what I linked to, I have concluded that, well, maybe ought to re-adjust my clutch that engages my thinking & comprehension skills. Seems to be slipping a might too much.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
Been running these on my bikes after hitting one while doing 60 mph in Michigan. Does it work? Don't know, but makes me feel a better. Still have to keep your eyes open and be lucky at the same time.

http://www.xp3hornet.com/?src=overture

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
:goodpost: The conclusion of the study seems to be very inconclusive.

Indeed, because good studies have not been performed.  Seems really strange, too, considering that performing a proper study would not be that difficult and it would be cheap.  Since the damage costs from deer hits are so high (and the cost of a study so low) one would think the insurance industry would jump all over it (no pun intended).

I love how the sites (like the one listed) just make up totally bogus statements:  "will reduce your risk of hazardous animal/vehicle collision by more than 70%."  Then say it is patented, which is meaningless.  Then offer testimonials, also totally meaningless.  And the theory of operation, yep- meaningless.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Wasnt there a post on here before the crash about one of our guys hitting a deer at like 70 mph and RIDING the irrepressible Connie HOME?!?  I believe there were even pictures of the front end.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
Those whistles also work for elephants and platypuses.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
Wasnt there a post on here before the crash about one of our guys hitting a deer at like 70 mph and RIDING the irrepressible Connie HOME?!?  I believe there were even pictures of the front end.

The one I remember I think was an Ausi member hitting a kangaroo...  :o

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Those whistles also work for elephants and platypuses.

Cheshire Cats too... haven't hit one yet!  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »

The one I remember I think was an Ausi member hitting a kangaroo...  :o

That wasn't too long ago. Post 12... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11444.msg140445#msg140445
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline elektradw

• 21st Century Crusade
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
Iv been using deer whistles on every bike Iv owned in the past 20 years. When riding up in Utah the damn things are everywhere. After 8 bikes and 300,000 miles I haven't hit one yet. Was it the deer whistles? You decide, however, they get put on my bike for every tour through deer country. As the Monkeeys once sang "Im a believer".
'68 Hoda 305 Dream, '76 Triumph Bonneville,  '85 BMW K100, '85 BMW K100 Turbo, '95 HD Heritage, '97 HD Dresser, '99HD Roadking, '01 HD Dynaglide, '08 C14, '11 C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
Iv been using deer whistles on every bike Iv owned in the past 20 years. When riding up in Utah the damn things are everywhere. After 8 bikes and 300,000 miles I haven't hit one yet. Was it the deer whistles? You decide, however, they get put on my bike for every tour through deer country. As the Monkeeys once sang "Im a believer".

Testimonies and anecdotes are not really useful.  I have been driving for 28 years and much of it in areas were there are deer and have had no deer whistles on any of my vehicles and have never hit a deer (or any other animal)  ((thank god))  (((knock on wood))).  I have certain SEEN a lot of deer, though, including some on the road.

Of course, in this case, the devices are certainly cheap enough and don't seem to have any negative consequences, so the "why the hell not" seems OK.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
My research leads me to believe that the deer whistles don't really work.  The air flowing thru the non electronic type whistles is flowing so that the air that exits may be resonating at a freq that the deer may hear(but thats debateable) but the sound is now aimed behind you.  The electronic ones such as the Hornet are very low powered(less than 1 watt) and I doubt that the deer would really hear it until you were right on top of them.

Here is a copy from another forum posted by a guy nicknamed (s)troll.  Its quite amusing but makes sense to me-lol

OK... here goes, I have hit about 800 deer... I hit on the average about 25 deer every year.

I am a locomotive engineer, that's right I run the train in Montana

The locomotive is equipped with a 165db whistle... we call it a whistle 'cause horn does not begin to describe how loud it is. Get in front close and it will damage your hearing forever in one 8 sec blast.

The locomotive also has a very loud bell AND 4 70V headlamps that put out 300,000 candle power EACH... that's right, 1.2 million candlepower. The heat from these actually hurts as we walk into the front door.

Now, add to all this the 90+db from the engine itself plus the high pitched squeal from the steel wheels on the steel track.

Deer respond in any number of ways.
 1. They completely freak and jump 30+ feet, zig, zag... fling themselves into a river etc.
 2. They do absoulutly nothing
3. They don't even break stride, just continue slowly step by step into the path of the locomotive which at 60 mph puts out a bow wave that will nearly tear your unbuttoned light jacket off
 4. Look up, hesitate, turn, turn again, stop, either step in front of the train enough so just the head gets hit and is thrown 300 feet down the track in front of us. (OK, just one time)

Now the abuse that will get me the boot from Mellow possibly... bear in mind I am trying to save a life here and emphasize how STUIPID it is to rely on deer whistles. Nothing works, Deer have very primitive brains and are even stupider than people who believe in deer whistles.

They do however work against elephants, giraffes, zebras etc. I have never hit one of those.

I have had close calls with Eagles, Hawk, numerous birds.

They do not work against elk, dogs, oppossom, porkupine, black/brown bear, people (standing or sitting), snakes, turtles, owls, ducks, white pelicans, rabbits, but most of all they do not work against cows, sheep and (drum roll).....Deer. I have hit all of those so many time I lost count. Many times multiples at one time.

Get real people, everyone here is smarter than this, just cause we would like 'em to work does not make it so.