Author Topic: rear hub mess  (Read 12013 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: rear hub mess
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
You know, they stop that after you neuter them. :stirpot:

You know, it's best not to meddle in the affairs of forum admins as we get testy (more testy than avg) and are inclined to do the most unmentionable unimaginable things and I'm considered the calmer one...... ::) ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kanuk14

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Thanks Brian, I had left a message with the dealer with the same concern, they called me back immediately and was very concerned. They also told me that I was mistaken in that they did not use parts from a used bike but they took a new model off the floor and replaced the entire rear unit. That is why they were so concerned since they are worried that this is new so...what's up. Just to show you how this dealer is...they took the owners demo C14 out for a 30 mile ride and tested the heat from the diff and said that yes it too was somewhat hot.

Basically keep an eye on it and if it really gets wierd bring it back in. I agree with you that there are more important things to worry about...like my retirement in two years and how the heck I will be able to afford to live on the Connie. I'll sell the wife!! ha ha

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
Got a picture?  ::)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 07:12:56 PM »
You know, it's best not to meddle in the affairs of forum admins as we get testy (more testy than avg) and are inclined to do the most unmentionable unimaginable things and I'm considered the calmer one...... ::) ;)

Especially after a few totties! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »

Offline Kanuk14

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:01 AM »
I didn't take a picture of the mess at the hub but it looks just like the picture at the begining of this thread. I detailed the bike last night and the wheel turns smooth so I think I am ok. Can't wait to get her out Saturday. I am doing the oil and filter tonight.

Offline Kanuk14

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Here are my 2 current bikes. 2009 Suz Bandit 1255 and the 2011 Connie with a 2012 dif!! haha

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
I watched the tech do the first service on my bike.  I let them do the first and then I go from there.  Well of course I read the service manual prior to bringing it in and while he was filling the rear drive he spun the wheel.  I said whoa there pardner, please read the service manual.  If you spin the rear wheel you have to wait for the oil to settle otherwise you will overfill.  Sheesh.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline pistole

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
I watched the tech do the first service on my bike.  I let them do the first and then I go from there.  Well of course I read the service manual prior to bringing it in and while he was filling the rear drive he spun the wheel.  I said whoa there pardner, please read the service manual.  If you spin the rear wheel you have to wait for the oil to settle otherwise you will overfill.  Sheesh.

- my mechanic turns the wheel there too , as would any right thinking mechanically minded person filling a gear system like ours. But he fills only the 160 ml of GL5 he had measured beforehand.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
Kanuk14... Did you paint the bottoms of your panniers, or did the 11s come that way?
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Kanuk14

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
Nope didn't paint them, they are stock. The bottom of the panniers are the same color but the texture is something like rough gravel??

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
- my mechanic turns the wheel there too , as would any right thinking mechanically minded person filling a gear system like ours. But he fills only the 160 ml of GL5 he had measured beforehand.

My guy didn't pre-measure.  Just poured from the bottle.  Guess he is not mechanically minded. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
If you open the filler and oil pours out, you have too much in it. This is me but I only put enough in to about 1/4 inch below the filler.  Haven't had any issues for 50k miles.  Do not turn the wheel while filling it as you'll get a false reading.  Consider that the oil sticks to the gears, as it should.  If you fill it full to the lip then it will be overfilled after the oil settles down.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:16 AM »
If you open the filler and oil pours out, you have too much in it. This is me but I only put enough in to about 1/4 inch below the filler.  Haven't had any issues for 50k miles.  Do not turn the wheel while filling it as you'll get a false reading.  Consider that the oil sticks to the gears, as it should.  If you fill it full to the lip then it will be overfilled after the oil settles down.

+1 Do as Jim suggested above, and no measuring required. A perfect fill everytime.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
For those interested in warm rear drives.....I just came off an hour long ride at speed in the low 80's and I can't hold my hand on the drive itself.  Too hot.  I think hot is ok here for the rear drive.
'

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
See? Have I ever lied to you before.... that you know of?

Do you thing the drive is too hot for me to hold your had on it?

Brian

For those interested in warm rear drives.....I just came off an hour long ride at speed in the low 80's and I can't hold my hand on the drive itself.  Too hot.  I think hot is ok here for the rear drive.
'
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
It was too hot to hold 'your' hand on it....or I could just be overly sensitive.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »
That is why I think I could hold your hand on it longer than you can hold your hand on it.  I will wear earplugs and the screaming won't seem so bad.....

;D

Brian

It was too hot to hold 'your' hand on it....or I could just be overly sensitive.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »
I don't know Brian. Jim has a protective patina of dirt and road grime covering his bike. He may be able to hold his hand on his hub longer with that extra bit of insulation.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 08:04:47 AM »
and take into account the armored gloves he's wearing.