4 (16%)
flat black
4 (16%)
mixed - some parts flat , glossy, and semi-gloss black
10 (40%)
semi-gloss (satin)
7 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Need your input - help me decide on powdercoat options??  (Read 10573 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Need your input - help me decide on powdercoat options??
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
127 views and only 6 votes?? What gives? All you have to do is click the button of choice...

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 03:23:23 AM »
I would also go for a mix of whatever seems appropriate to the parts around the part you are coating.  If you are having a hard time deciding on which parts to do what finish on then I would just do all of them in the color that most closely matches the frame.

Word to the wise from personal experience. DO NOT COAT THE BRAKE PEDAL OR PASSENGER PEGS!!! It WILL come off the raised portions and it will look like pooh in very short order. You may be able to get away with the passenger pegs if 99% of the time you ride alone but the brake pedal will go quickly.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »

Thanks GP.

Ya, I'm not sure about the badges, I definately don't want to debadge her, I like having the badges on bikes. But I have been thinking maybe do the badges in more of gun metal type color might look good, but I won't be doing anything with the badges for now...  :-\

Badges? Badges? You don't need no stinkin badges!    :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:15:42 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »
My Connie needs to be disassembled to install the new Ohlins forks and rear shock, so I think while those sections are apart anyway I'm gonna have the following parts powder coated black, I think the black will go nicely with the Ohlins gold.
It must hurt to crap a bank roll every morning!

;D

Badges? Badges? You don't need no stinkin bagdes!    :D
+1

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
127 views and only 6 votes?? What gives? All you have to do is click the button of choice...

OK, there, I voted.  Doesn't make sense though, disassembling the bike is a WINTER TIME PROJECT!  Not something you do during the peak riding season.  Well, that is, if you actually ride the thing.  ::)

Alright, gloss black on everything in the rear suspension area if it's never going to see dirt (if it does ever get dirty, it will look satin anyway).  Satin in the handlebar area (don't need any glare coming off of those shiny black parts).

Are the new fork tubes actually gold anodized?  That would look butt ugly on a black bike, unless you're doing other parts of the bike gold to accent them (like the badges?).  Otherwise, you should have those done gloss black too.

Are you sure installing the rear shock requires taking the rear suspension all apart?  I would be surprised if it even requires removing the wheel.  To powder coat the rear hub requires disassembling it completely, and removing any residual oil from it.  I've considered doing it to mine, but it looks like a very big job.  The rear swing arm and connecting parts would look sweet if they matched my wheels though (gloss black).

Anything around the feet is a wear point, and even powder coating will scuff and look warn quickly, especially if it's black (again, that's if it ever gets ridden).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
When talking powder coating, it's ok if you're nuts...just not your nuts!
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
When talking powder coating, it's ok if you're nuts...just not your nuts!
experience?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Word to the wise from personal experience. DO NOT COAT THE BRAKE PEDAL OR PASSENGER PEGS!!! It WILL come off the raised portions and it will look like pooh in very short order. You may be able to get away with the passenger pegs if 99% of the time you ride alone but the brake pedal will go quickly.

Even with powder coat?? I believe the oem color is powder coat and it hasn't came off yet?  ??? :-\

It must hurt to crap a bank roll every morning!
 ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

OK, there, I voted.  Doesn't make sense though, disassembling the bike is a WINTER TIME PROJECT!  Not something you do during the peak riding season.  Well, that is, if you actually ride the thing.  ::)

Total project will only take 3 days... Day one removal, day 2 powder coating, day 3 re-assemble...

I'm ok riding my Gixxer for those 3 days Rob...  ;)

Are the new fork tubes actually gold anodized?  That would look butt ugly on a black bike, unless you're doing other parts of the bike gold to accent them (like the badges?).  Otherwise, you should have those done gloss black too.

The forks are all gold, like this...

Are you sure installing the rear shock requires taking the rear suspension all apart?  I would be surprised if it even requires removing the wheel.  To powder coat the rear hub requires disassembling it completely, and removing any residual oil from it.  I've considered doing it to mine, but it looks like a very big job.  The rear swing arm and connecting parts would look sweet if they matched my wheels though (gloss black).

The rear shock install does not require removing the swing-arm, but if I'm having the handle bars etc done anyways I'd rather do all of them at the same time, less $ for the powder coating and plus an exact match for color/finish...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »

I need to stop opening this thread and the Ohlins thread too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
127 views and only 6 votes?? What gives? All you have to do is click the button of choice... [/img]

That is because you are missing the option:

"Leave it the hell alone because Silver is Da Bomb!!"  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
:pukeface:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 03:54:19 PM »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

I need to stop opening this thread and the Ohlins thread too

;D ;D ;D 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
That is because you are missing the option:

:thumbs:

:pukeface:

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
+2 on the pegs....they will look like poo.  I did mine black on the ZRX and the nubs on the top started wearing off.

You ARE nuts!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »
+2 on the pegs....they will look like poo.  I did mine black on the ZRX and the nubs on the top started wearing off.

You ARE nuts!

The rider pegs have rubber tops so they'll be fine, the passenger pegs are rarely used so shouldn't be an issue...

Nuts indeed Mike.  :loco:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »

That's because you didn't have "nuts" as a choice.  :o  (wise decision on your part 8))

On a more serious note, find some black rubber for the wear/scuff points on pegs and
passenger pegs, and brake pedal. Rear pegs gloss, front pegs flat, top block flat, semi on bars and risers,
and if you don't get your pipes ceramic black powder coated....well then you just aren't going to have
enough black are you. ..and that's just not Zulu Golf Mike India Bravo, is it?

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
Not sure if this helps ZG, but I have quite a bit of black on mine.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

Yep, indeed you do brutha, I looked up all your pics last weekend for ideas...  8)

I'm not gonna go total blackout though like you did, I want to keep the badges and some other misc highlights, if it turns out like I'm invisioning it should be awesome, at least IMO...  :)

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »

Holy crap.................that's cool.