Author Topic: final drive leak?** UPDATE with question! ***  (Read 24739 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: final drive leak?** UPDATE with question! ***
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 08:01:27 AM »
There has been no deterioration of the cush drive that I have noticed. The leak was a long time ago too- years and more than a few thousand miles.

Yeah, the diaper is pretty low tech- just a piece of soft paper to catch the drippins' just like a regular diaper. No need for the stretchy leg openings though as the rear wheel does not crawl. :-)

Brian

Warranty repair, just pre ordered the seal so they had it in hand so i could wait for it. If they need more parts, i can leave it there.

Any quick sketch or picture of that diper? Lol. Must not be too creative. Oil didn't hurt the cush drive at all?

Thanks
Joel.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2012, 03:56:16 AM »
well my first update: went on my 400+ ride saturday, slight slinging one time, wiped the wheel with a microfiber, all was good.
Monday, appointment is at 2:30, because of their lunch or something they like that time. (got done with work at 12:15, had to kill time). Asked them to start with the rear leak, and if we needed more parts to let me know if i can take it or need a ride. so i sit, tablet in hand killing more time. hear nothing, then ok Joel its ready. im confused but say ok. Asked what was done. had 4 things plus a vibration thing. None of the parts i ordered last week came in. 1) replace hard bag seal. Nope not done, no parts and not sure its covered. Leaked from day 1 some, not gallons. 2)replace rivets in hard bag that color lid was replaced from crash damage. Done  3)recall, Done. 4)drive seal nope, not even close 5)rotationaly vibration say at 20 coasting, like clean hub teeth or something. Nope, rode and felt. no clue, no answer, no idea. sweet. i wait 2 hours for 4 rivets and a recall, the rest was a mess and i had to diagnose and sell the final drive seal leak.

the drive seal leak drove me nuts and i wasn't pleased in the least bit. The seal ordered last week, never showed and was not correct even after calling back with the correct complete part number.Now the good part, please keep in mind i have seen the leak location and i am a 20year+ ase master mechanic. i am told that the seal leaking is the outer seal and it was ordered. i asked if they were sure because thats not where the leak is. the tech comes out and i have the picture i took on my phone and ask about it. he said yep the outer seal. i asked why ?? he said that is the one that leaks. i asked if mine was leaking and he said he thought so. i asked about the inner seal and was told he didn't know because he *never pulled the wheel to look* i paused for a moment, rather surprised since i had the wheel off in a few minutes Saturday before my ride. I asked how many sealing things are in there, he said three and took the bait. i asked how he knew what to order if he NEVER LOOKED!!!  :o  he said its always the big one,  i pointed to the picture, to the middle of the hub, where the "sleeve tube thing" is and said it was wet there. he seemed surprised and told me it couldn't be its the outer. told him to pull the wheel and lets look, nope, so now he wants to do the inner and outer seal. fine. Next i ask about a bearing that gets replaced with the inner seal usually?? more technician confusion, he has no idea about a bearing they would replace, or why? had nothing to question that more, so no bearing for me at this time.
to top that off they asked if i could get there earlier, i said sure, 1pm?? too early, how about 2 not 2:30 this time. so here is to a friday 2pm appointment. i politely told them that this day was a waste and i was not pleased. and Not to leave my bike stranded for the weekend, cause i would hit the roof.

This might be enough of an arm twist to get me to another deal in the future. wasted well over four hours yesterday, more friday on the way. and if a bearing took out the seal that doesn't get replaced it will be round two. not pleased.

thanks for the ear,
Joel

Offline Conrad

« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »
Sorry to hear Joel. Sounds like you have the Barney Fifes of MC techs there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
Yeah, that does sound like an incompetent dealer or at least one that is not interest in the outcome of service for the customer. There is no real way to address that problem that I know of other than to go to another dealer, which I understand is not available to everyone as it can be great distances between dealers.

You could do the work yourself at home just to get it done competently and while I certainly understand that this is a warranty issue, the seals are not very expensive and it might be worth it just to move on. It would not be fair or just but it might be the easiest way for you to deal with the problem...?

Best luck with this.

Brian

<snip>

This might be enough of an arm twist to get me to another deal in the future. wasted well over four hours yesterday, more friday on the way. and if a bearing took out the seal that doesn't get replaced it will be round two. not pleased.

thanks for the ear,
Joel
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Dade22

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
JS_Racer....

Sorry your having so much trouble with your dealer.  I went to my Suzuki guy and asked where the best Kawi dealer was.  He only recommended 2 near by.  One 30 min from me and the other 45.   The local one here is a joke.  They have signs on all the bikes, "DO NOT SIT."

Also, the service dept was worthless.  I told them I had the standard 3 year warranty and he insisted that it was an extended warranty. 

The dealer I took it too listened to me. I provided all the photos and stuff that Fred H. had on his site.  He ordered 2 of everything just in case they ran into trouble.

3 Days later it was done. (they were super busy...3 bikes having valve work/tires).

Keep on them.  Also, dont be suprised if you start seeing some type of lube sling from the hub afterward.  I had enough molly 60 to do 4 concours's. LOL.  I cleaned it up when I put the tires on 2 weeks later.

Good luck!

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »
sigh........ next dealer wants to have the bike for over a week to see what is leaking. i asked if they could pull the wheel and confirm the leak, then order parts and i can return. doesn't sound like an option at this place. grrrr why does this seem so hard to get service. I sent an email and spoke with a manager tuesday about the crap effort monday, have heard nothing since. i have an appointment today, but the bearing was not ordered so no since going is my thought. if they don't have the parts to fix it that they know they need, not worth 5+ hours again.

in two weeks, the bike is going in to my regular guy for the valve check, pivot points lubed, fluids again, front springs and valves, etc..... it will be like new again. Might as well have him fix the leak too out of pocket.

Cant tell you how close i am to buying a lift and turning my own wrenches. In fairness my regular guy is excellent!!! problem is that he can't do Kawasaki warranty repairs.  :(

Joel
in twin cities, willing to travel if anyone knows a good dealer for service