Author Topic: More ethanol in gas this summer  (Read 1777 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
More ethanol in gas this summer
« on: April 12, 2022, 04:31:21 PM »
WTF.

I am not happy. I don't want to be clogging my carbs and paying more for diluted gasoline. Just means it may be cheaper but I will get less distance??

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/04/12/gas-prices-biden-expand-ethanol-availability-ease-pain-pump/7283707001/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: More ethanol in gas this summer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 04:47:18 PM »
I've started using E15 in both my 16 Tacoma and 21 Prius.  It's 30 cents cheaper than regular.   It's not widely available though and only a few Sheetz around where I live carry it.  I wouldn't use it on a carb fitted engine though or small engines.  I don't see any issues with it on the vehicles though.  Can't tell the difference in performance and the gas mileage is the same as near as I can tell. Both of those vehicles state that it is ok to use up to E15.

You guys with carbs, I mean even with E10 it causes issues if you leave it in too long.  I don't see stations dumping E10 to go with E15.   They have to be set up for it.  The Sheetz I use had two pump handles on the left with flex fuel and E15.  The right side has a pump for all the rest.  I can see newer stations adding the E15 and Flex or retrofitting existing stations for the new stuff.

I don't think you have anything to worry about yet.  They can't change E10 to E15.  That would cause too many issues.

I'm phasing out all my gas powered small engines as they die out and going to battery or electric.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:29:38 PM »
Interesting. I just learned that E15 is worse for the air than E10. Surprising. Damn corn lobbyists.

Will it cause issues on older cars from the 90s? For a 10c/gal reduction and slightly worse mileage, I don't think it is worth it. I would like to get an electric car when the prices come down and charging stations are readily available. My neighbor is having a hard time installing one and they are expensive as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:47:11 PM »
Interesting. I just learned that E15 is worse for the air than E10. Surprising. Damn corn lobbyists.

Yep.  Ethanol was a bad idea from the start, especially using corn.

Will it cause issues on older cars from the 90s? For a 10c/gal reduction and slightly worse mileage, I don't think it is worth it.

I can't prove it, but I think ethanol is what ruined my ZRX carburetor which plagued me with problems for years.  And I think it is what has chronically screwed up my C14 gas cap.

I would like to get an electric car when the prices come down and charging stations are readily available. My neighbor is having a hard time installing one and they are expensive as well.

I have been wanting an electric car for years now. Fast, quiet, smooth, reliable, and convenient.  For my needs/location, charging stations almost don't matter.  But apparently no car maker yet makes what I want.  I don't want an ugly "cyber" car, nor do I want an SUV nor a truck or econo box.  I also don't want self-driving nor a driving video game with no real controls or dashboard.  They can't seem to understand, yet, that many of us just want an electric version of what we currently are familiar with (in my case, a great-looking, Japanese luxury sport performance sedan with great build quality, feel, options, and controls).  Then there is the cost.  I am getting impatient, but keep hoping...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 03:50:49 AM »
I would not use E10+ in an older vehicle not designed for it.  In other words if it doesn't specify it in the manual, don't use it.  It can potentially affect fuel lines and the rubber thingys in the fuel delivery system.  I've replaced more than a few small engine carbs on my lawn equipment because of the E10 fuel.

Max,   you hit that one on the head.  We want what we like and drive now in an electric version.  The Japanese hybrid vehicles are some of the best and I've been using them since 2004.  As far as all electric goes, I would want something from Toyota personally, but that's me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »
Max,   you hit that one on the head.  We want what we like and drive now in an electric version.  The Japanese hybrid vehicles are some of the best and I've been using them since 2004.  As far as all electric goes, I would want something from Toyota personally, but that's me.

For me, I would love an electric Infiniti Q50.  CHANGE NOTHING ELSE- same car, looks, features, choices, interior.  Just electric.

I don't know why the Japanese (Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Accura, Toyota/Lexus) are so late in the game.  Perhaps they are just waiting for the right tech?  Or they are being overly cautious?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 09:25:19 AM »
higher content ethanol will be available... they aren't going to change or replace the e10 to e15. just fyi. (no need to panic) . And its under 5% of gas stations nationally are even equipped to distribute e15.  It is just allowing what is already sold at these stations to be sold in the summer months, which it usually isn't in some areas.

My ford edge runs just fine on e15, (designed to) but everything else i own is a no go.

Funny how nobody really bitched in the same way last time this was done.   :facepalm:

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
It's been so long. I don't know exactly what my manuals specify. But I know no more than E10. I have 3 old cars that I rotate around. Can't seem to get rid of them. And me taking the metro to work, they barely get any considerable mileage. My worry is clogging the injectors but I think the pressure will keep them clear. Don't know if this is even a thing.

And my bike gets even less use! But definitely no more ethanol for her. The closest E0 gas is 40 miles out and I get that when I feel the winter will be bad.

I want to change to electric but only after my current cars all die out. That will be after I die out! If I were in CA or WA I think they are passing a law prohibiting new registration of older gas cars starting 2030 and no more gas cars built after 2030. As$hole hippies.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
I would have bitched. But I was probably too young to understand the ill effects or too young/poor to buy a good car.

Funny how nobody really bitched in the same way last time this was done.   :facepalm:

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
you were too young 3 years ago?  :o

I have 14 bikes, 2 vintage cars, most of my bikes are from the 70s. No issues here due to pump gas. (not kidding). 
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 10:01:57 AM »
hahaha. I thought you were talking about the 90s when ethanol gas was first introduced.

If you have no issues with so many vehicles, why are people bitching about ethanol? I feel better.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
because, people like to bitch.

Letting any vehicle sit is an issue, regardless of fuel type. stabilizers came out wayyyyy before ethanol was introduced. think about it. just my opinion. Im no fan of ethanol, make no doubt, i think its BS how it even came around, but its here and I've had no issues.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 04:22:04 AM »
hahaha. I thought you were talking about the 90s when ethanol gas was first introduced.

If you have no issues with so many vehicles, why are people bitching about ethanol? I feel better.

Actually gasohol was introduced in the 40's..lol.  And I distinctly remember at least one station using it in the 70's where I grew up...southern VA.  It was during the Arab oil embargo that it was reintroduced. I think I may have used it a few times then.  However, that station (Pilot) had a bad rap with their gas and I stopped using it.  Don't remember the issues I had but I avoided that station like the plague afterwards.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 05:10:01 AM »
i meant 3 yrs ago when the 15% was allowed to be sold in non winter mos.  8)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 07:54:03 AM »
Why the hell am I learning all this new sh!t just now?

Maybe because the prices were never high enough for me to care enough.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 11:23:27 AM »
Not so sure the corn lobby had much to do with the logic behind this move, sure, they will make money but I think it is secondary to what is going on.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
the whole reason its in there in the 1st place IS the corn lobby.  Gvt subsidized industry farming. And yes, they pushed for it as a 'solution'. regardless, its still not prolific, as stated in original article, though. They have aggressively been trying to get e15 pushed for year round sales since 2007 ish. 

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 03:04:49 PM »
we are all entitled to our opinion, and ours conflict. yours is corn lobby, mine is a prez forcing to drive electric cars with policies over time will make it untenable to drive a non-electric cars. We'll disagree. :)
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
Don't forget to cover your red barchettas before you put them away.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »
Well, only two vehicles I have right now both call for NO MORE than E10.  So unless local pumps start to switch to something higher, I should be OK.

As for the lawn mower and generator, I put stabilizer in all the gas I use for those.  Not sure if/how it works, but haven't had any problem with either, and they are pretty darn old (and the generator sits unused for VERY long periods of time with VERY VERY old gas in it).