Author Topic: Tires  (Read 8232 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Tires
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
While reading up here on tires, I notice a lot of people mix and match front/rear tires.
Why?
My 2004 will need a new set by the end of summer.  What should I look for in a tire?

TIA

Offline medicevans

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »
Where's my popcorn, where's my popcorn.......... :popcorn:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:56:55 AM »
While reading up here on tires, I notice a lot of people mix and match front/rear tires.
Why?
My 2004 will need a new set by the end of summer.  What should I look for in a tire?

TIA
Air. :rotflmao:

Probably due to sizes available, wear, feel, you name it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Johnj

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
The stock tires leave something to be desired by most riders. And the bike has odd sized wheels. So for example I'm running a Dunlop E3 (wingsize bias-ply) on the rear and a Bridgestone BT-45 (I think) on the front. Others run AVON's, or other brands. It depends on what you want out of your tires.

I think I'll go pull on my flame-resistant coveralls now and see what others have to say. ;D
Practicing the dark art of turn-signal usage since 1976

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »

Depends on what you are expecting out of a tire. How do you ride. do you cruise along and smell the flowers or do you ride like your hair is on fire? What kind of riding, do you ride the big highways most of the time or do you search out the roads with the twisty bits? Do you expect big mileage out of a tire or do you value quick turn in, traction and feel. It all depends on what you want out of a tire.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:36 PM »
The stock tires leave something to be desired by most riders. And the bike has odd sized wheels. So for example I'm running a Dunlop E3 (wingsize bias-ply) on the rear and a Bridgestone BT-45 (I think) on the front. Others run AVON's, or other brands. It depends on what you want out of your tires.

I think I'll go pull on my flame-resistant coveralls now and see what others have to say. ;D

Depends on what you are expecting out of a tire. How do you ride. do you cruise along and smell the flowers or do you ride like your hair is on fire? What kind of riding, do you ride the big highways most of the time or do you search out the roads with the twisty bits? Do you expect big mileage out of a tire or do you value quick turn in, traction and feel. It all depends on what you want out of a tire.

Thanks.

I commute on city streets during the week and ride the freeway to the twisties/hills/coast on the weekend.
Won't be riding much in the rain but may get caught in it.

I am a fairly sedate rider but have been known to drag a foot peg or two.  I'd say 90% cruise and 10% getting with it.

Out of a tire I'd like, in order, good all around traction, good tracking, comfortable ride and long life.  Probably a tall order.

This sounds like a hot topic but I assume we are all adults.  Well, most of us.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
...Won't be riding much in the rain but may get caught in it....
Out of a tire I'd like, in order, good all around traction, good tracking, comfortable ride and long life.  Probably a tall order.

This sounds like a hot topic but I assume we are all adults.  Well, most of us.

Rain - stay AWAY from Metzelers.  Had them on my Yamaha cruiser - scary when wet (and that bike had lots less power than the C10).   
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »
There are more opinions on tires than there are brands of tires. A lot depends on the individual. You either have to rely on others experience or try lots of tires yourself to find what works for you. A few years ago when I was a new GL1800 wing owner I was satisfied with the original tires (Dunlop D204 radials) except for the life I got out of them. Most recomended Bridgestone radials so I bought some, big mistake, I curse them every chance I get. Found out there is nothing worth a flip on a GL1800 except a car tire on the rear and a bias rear tire on the front. Had a couple of 1100 wings before and if it's round and holds air it works on those. I'll be looking for tires for the connie after I get it on the road and I guess I'll just find out for myself what works best.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
Trying lots of tires would probably be the best most expensive way.  Then I wouldn't have money for accessories.  ;)

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »
It's nice to talk about the differnet qualities one can look for in tires.  Unfortunately given the limited choices available for the C10 our options are few.  My 2000 now has Michelin Pilot GT's in the GL1500 sizes, and after 20,000 miles they will need to be replaced when I get home from Salt Lake City.  Great tires, unfortunatley NLA.  I'm thinking Avon Storm 2 Ultra on the front with Azaro ST on the rear.  Any other specific suggestions would be welcomed.

Charliedog
Bristol, TN 
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:46:15 AM »
Kenda Kruse in gw size, great "smell the flowers tires" . Easy on the wallet. I have 2k on a rear, looks like new.
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Bergmenized

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »
Where's my popcorn, where's my popcorn.......... :popcorn:

Right here:

Dan

Offline medicevans

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Rain - stay AWAY from Metzelers.  Had them on my Yamaha cruiser - scary when wet (and that bike had lots less power than the C10).
I will +100 that sentiment. ME880s are stupid slick on rainy surfaces. I hate them all around.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »

How do you like that combo?  I've had E3s on a cruiser and unthinking about them on the Conc.

Offline Johnj

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
I ran the E3 rear and a stock Dunlop on the front on my 87 Connie (still have them on it) for a couple of years, and would have put the same on the 99 but I was trying to get rid of the howl. Which the new combo seems to work ok.
Practicing the dark art of turn-signal usage since 1976

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »
My recommendation mount an Avon Storm Ultra II on the front in the 110/80/18 size along with a Avon Azaro 150/80/16 on the rear. Your not going to get big mileage on the rear tire, you will get somewhere between 6,000 and 8,000 mile from it, and you can get considerably more from the front. This will give you a baseline of how good your bike can be with good tires. The Avons will give you quick turn in, precise steering, great grip and very good feel.

I've been riding ZG1000s for 21 years, I've averaged over 30,000 miles a year in that time, I've gone thru a lot of tires. This combo is as good as it gets on the C10.

If you feel you need more mileage from your tires fit your bike with the same Avon Storm on the front and fit an Avon Venom bias ply on the rear. I've ridden this combo and it feels pretty good. I can detect the rear steering a little slower but most riders will probably not feel this.

You can run Goldwing size tires if you are comfortable with heavy slow steering, you will get more mileage from them but at an expense I could never deal with or recommend. God luck with your choice and enjoy your Concours.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

Offline Charliedog

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 09:38:23 PM »
That's exactly what I was planning on doing. I tried a set of Azaro's a few years ago and experienced that dredded low speed wobble-which I later found out may have been due to loose steering head bearings.  At any rate the Storm 2 Ultra sounds like a better idea anyway.  If anyone's an authority on C10 tires, it'd be you.

Larry  aka  Charliedog
Bristol, TN 
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline medicevans

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
Don, is that rear the MTHB-90-16 size?

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 05:32:59 AM »
Don, is that rear the MTHB-90-16 size?

It's the Avon Venom AM42, it's available in the 150/80/16 size as well as the 160/80/16 tire. They are both reinforced tires with good load carrying capacities.
The nice thing about the Venom is that while it is a Cruiser/touring tire it does not have the flatter profile of many of the tires of this type. The tire has a nice rounded profile much like the Azaro.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Right now, my newer to me C10 has Dunlop Sportsman Touring tires.
120/70ZR/18 on the front.
150/80ZR/16 on the rear.

Aren't most of you running bias tires?