Author Topic: Help - Need C10 2002 Front Wheels Bearings Number  (Read 6534 times)

Offline JDM

Help - Need C10 2002 Front Wheels Bearings Number
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
This is JD's other half, Bev. Need help tonight from you all. JD is broke down in Grand Junction, CO, about 1300 miles from home. There are a couple of parts houses in GJ but he needs to know the part number for the bearings for the front wheel so he can change them and come on home. Does anyone have the bearings number?
Bev
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline txfatboy

Re: Help - Need C10 2002 Front Wheels Bearings Number
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Should be #6203 for the front.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
6203 Fairly common

If he has problems finding/installing them, I have several in stock. Grand Junction is 3-4 hours from here, I can bring tools.

Three oh three seven 4 7 twenty 42

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline JDM

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH, txfatboy! I just got off the phone with JD and gave him the number. It is great that you responded so quickly.
Bev

Offline JDM

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:56:57 PM »
Thank you, Rick! I forwarded your info to him. If he needs help, he'll call. You all are a great bunch of guys.
Bev 

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »
You are very welcome. Hope he gets home safe.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline JDM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
Thank you for your help. With the info you all provided to Bev I was able to get two new bearings from the Napa Store in Fruita, Co. The squeaking noise that was coming from the front wheel turned out to be the speedometer drive, and with a generous amount of 3in1 machine oil and a good soak, the noise went away and I made it home safe and sound!

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »
Well,

with the front bearings it WHEN not IF. so if you've got over 25K on 'em - replace em.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Matt L

Wheels Bearing replacement
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
FWIW, I had the front and rear wheel bearings replaced this week during a tire installation on my '86 w/35K.  I bought the bike from the original owner who kept excellent maintenance records, and it showed the bearings had never been replaced.  The technician showed me the original bearings and they looked absolutely fine. 

Given the cost of the parts and the labor to install, I would think twice about replacing wheel bearings again.

Just my two cents...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Wheels Bearing replacement
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
FWIW, I had the front and rear wheel bearings replaced this week during a tire installation on my '86 w/35K.  I bought the bike from the original owner who kept excellent maintenance records, and it showed the bearings had never been replaced.  The technician showed me the original bearings and they looked absolutely fine. 

Given the cost of the parts and the labor to install, I would think twice about replacing wheel bearings again.

Just my two cents...

Well after adjusting for inflation your .02 does not go very far at all..... FYI the 86 through 94 (?) used a larger front wheel bearing than later years and they did last much much longer than the later models; some would fail within 20,XXX miles. The rear wheel bearing were much larger and do tend to last a very long time often a lifetime. But I question your cost as all four of these bearings should not have set you back much more than a 20.00 bill. What you were charged for labor depends on a lot of variables such as bringing in wheels only or an entire bike etc. I myself can bang out an old set and install new front and rear wheels only in under an hour.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Matt L

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Well after adjusting for inflation your .02 does not go very far at all..... FYI the 86 through 94 (?) used a larger front wheel bearing than later years and they did last much much longer than the later models; some would fail within 20,XXX miles. The rear wheel bearing were much larger and do tend to last a very long time often a lifetime. But I question your cost as all four of these bearings should not have set you back much more than a 20.00 bill. What you were charged for labor depends on a lot of variables such as bringing in wheels only or an entire bike etc. I myself can bang out an old set and install new front and rear wheels only in under an hour.

Thanks Tony.  I think you just proved my point re: how long the bearings can go (i.e. a long time on my '86).  The cost issue is an aside.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49:37 AM »
Tony, slight correction. That would be 86-93. 94 was the first year for the new wheels, brakes, etc.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
Tony, slight correction. That would be 86-93. 94 was the first year for the new wheels, brakes, etc.
   I guess "nut busters" aren't perfect either. :stirpot:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »

Why you think I put (?) in there? If it ain't mine I can't be expected to knows it all..... Just so long as I don't try and torque the head on a Concours to 2,400 foot pounds (yes I said 2,400-fp) I figure I'm doing good!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »

Just my two cents...

Well, with the rears running in gear oil just like semi-trailers do they may last forever. The fronts can go at anytime and when they do it ain't pleasant. I was slowing down from 70mph into Sparta, WI when the whole front end started to wobble. I ended up riding in 1st gear back to the motel and the front end was going up and down like a clown-mobile. I'm lucky I didn't end up in a ditch because those puppies were completely shelled. The odometer showed 26K when that happened.  ???
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 12:38:47 AM »
Well, with the rears running in gear oil just like semi-trailers do they may last forever. The fronts can go at anytime and when they do it ain't pleasant. I was slowing down from 70mph into Sparta, WI when the whole front end started to wobble. I ended up riding in 1st gear back to the motel and the front end was going up and down like a clown-mobile. I'm lucky I didn't end up in a ditch because those puppies were completely shelled. The odometer showed 26K when that happened.  ???

Uummmmm...my 2003 C-10 rear wheel bearings do not run in the gear oil.  They are separate bearings lubed with grease just like the fronts. 

I don't understand??
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 05:11:06 AM »
Well, with the rears running in gear oil just like semi-trailers do they may last forever....

I'm sorry Craig but this is completely inaccurate information... The rear wheel bearings are sealed bearings that are mounted in the wheel and have absolutely nothing in common with the rear differential whatsoever other than the fact that the wheel hub is splined into the differential.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
I'm sorry Craig but this is completely inaccurate information... The rear wheel bearings are sealed bearings that are mounted in the wheel and have absolutely nothing in common with the rear differential whatsoever other than the fact that the wheel hub is splined into the differential.

Duh! Right you guys are. I knew better than that! Too many beers!  :-[
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
Duh! Right you guys are. I knew better than that! Too many beers!  :-[

But I do like your excuse....  :chugbeer:
Tony P. Crochet