Author Topic: Are the rear brakes that bad?  (Read 8765 times)

Offline Shad0hawK

• Arena
Re: Are the rear brakes that bad?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
And when you are braking, all the weight moves to the front wheel and little remains on the rear... which is why the rear brake is usually of little value (same with cars) for just plain stopping or slowing down quickly.

not all, unless you are doing a stoppie the back brake accounts for 20-30% of a bikes stopping power.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
My perception is that part of the insensitivity of the rear brake, apart from the fact that it's got an inferiority complex, is that there is a lot of play from the top of it's travel to when it begins to provide any braking power. You really have to push the front of your foot down in an unnatural position to get it there. My solution was to attach a pedal plate over the rear brake lever, adding about a half-inch to it's at-rest height. It thusly requires less downward movement to take affect.

Offline booger

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
My perception is that part of the insensitivity of the rear brake, apart from the fact that it's got an inferiority complex, is that there is a lot of play from the top of it's travel to when it begins to provide any braking power. You really have to push the front of your foot down in an unnatural position to get it there. My solution was to attach a pedal plate over the rear brake lever, adding about a half-inch to it's at-rest height. It thusly requires less downward movement to take affect.

I think this is the answer.  Do you happen to have a pic or description of how you mounted the plate?

Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
not all, unless you are doing a stoppie the back brake accounts for 20-30% of a bikes stopping power.

True, I should have said "most" of the weight.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 05:22:20 PM »
Sure, here are a couple below. It's just part of a set purchased from Pep Boys or Auto Zone, they have clamps underneath that attach to the stock brake pedal. Not only does it raise the height of the pedal, but it increases the area so it's easier to use while riding barefoot.    ;D

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
I think my rear brakes are much better than the fronts.  Of course I'm working through an issue.   :)

Seriously though, like mentioned previously, bleeding the rear caliper at both valves improved mine.  They aren't like the brakes that were on my BMW but I have been using the heck out of them lately and with a little more pressure they work as I would expect.
T.S.R.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
I love golf.....

Offline mkorn

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
i use my rear brake alot ... and it has improved a bunch ... or i have jsut gotten more used to how it works.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Rawman

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Yep, the more you use it the better it beds in and bites.  I learned trail braking when I started riding, so it comes naturally to me and my rear brake can stop the bike no problem.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline vivo

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I have the un linked non abs 09 brakes and I love em... I don't like overly sensitive rear brakes as they are easier to lock in a panic. I think the balance of rear to front is exactly correct on my bike... The fronts do the bulk of stopping... I settle the bike with the rear and generally apply the rear slightly before fronts during normal stopping... perfect in my opinion...

hate my Guzzi Griso's rear brake because it's too sensitive... better that it be less effective than too effective

Vivo

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 04:18:45 AM »
I think my rear brakes are much better than the fronts.  Of course I'm working through an issue.   :)

Seriously though, like mentioned previously, bleeding the rear caliper at both valves improved mine.  They aren't like the brakes that were on my BMW but I have been using the heck out of them lately and with a little more pressure they work as I would expect.

We know about your issues... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »
There appears to have been a recall http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2009/january/19-25/jan2309-kawasaki-gtr1400-recall/

Also 2010/11 models have 2 settings depending on your riding mode.
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
That was just a shield to stop the gravelly bits from preventing the brake pedal to return to it's normal position.  If it doesn't return, the brakes stay actuated and net result is the caliper melting to the rotor.  Not sure of it's effectiveness as we've seen some bikes still have that problem even with the shield installed.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.