Author Topic: Are the rear brakes that bad?  (Read 8764 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Are the rear brakes that bad?
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
I was riding the other day and was rolling up to a stop shaking the numbness out of my hands, and I pressed just the rear brake.  I didn't think I would stop.  Are they that weak?  I rarely use the rear brake, this kinda scared me.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Are the rear brakes that bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »
They are pretty insensitive but they will respond to more and more force. You can absolutely lock the rear wheel using the brakes but you have to apply a LOT of force to the brake pedal. I assume Kawasaki meant to do it this way but of course do not know for sure. At any rate, the rear brake is not defective or anything, just insensitive.

Brian

I was riding the other day and was rolling up to a stop shaking the numbness out of my hands, and I pressed just the rear brake.  I didn't think I would stop.  Are they that weak?  I rarely use the rear brake, this kinda scared me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »
They are pretty insensitive but they will respond to more and more force. You can absolutely lock the rear wheel using the brakes but you have to apply a LOT of force to the brake pedal. I assume Kawasaki meant to do it this way but of course do not know for sure. At any rate, the rear brake is not defective or anything, just insensitive.

Brian

I've been called that before......

;D

Woody is what they felt like, needed lots of pressure.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
The rear brake is pretty weak... or insensitive, as it is put.  It will lock up like mentioned if you apply alot of pressure.  Coming from a Wing and a ST1300 before that, as far as "touring" bikes, I was so used to LBS brakes... and it was a shock when I first used the rear brake on the C14.

Like you said... I didn't think I would ever stop.  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Deathwish

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 03:32:31 PM »
I've been able to greatly improve my rear brake just by bleeding it. Remember, there are two bleeder valves on the rear caliper, though  ::)

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
I've found the rear brake on the C14 to be pretty weak. I would compare it to most sport bikes I've ridden. Good for assisting the front or for trail braking, but not effective for stopping by itself.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »
Two pistons compared to 8 on the front and one rotor vs two.  It's not going to provide the same braking power as the front.  With that being said, I use both brakes.  I paid for two so I use two.  I can feel the difference on my bike when using the rear brake vs not.  They ain't that bad.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
As Jim stated, No, they aren't that bad. 

Until Mama K linked the brakes on the 10+ ABS models, the brakes were sport-bike inspired - strong front, token rear.  But these threads worry me because there may actually be a problem on individual bikes.  Reported instances include: improper bleeding, binding, improper adjustment, loose adjusting lock nuts, and perhaps others I don't recall.  Please check your rear brake system thoroughly before concluding they don't work well.

The rear brake on my 08 ABS works fine, for a sport-bike rear brake.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
I've been able to greatly improve my rear brake just by bleeding it. Remember, there are two bleeder valves on the rear caliper, though  ::)

+1 I noticed a significant improvement after bleeding both rear caliper bleeders.

Also greasing the rear brake pedal linkage and arm will help.
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »
Oh yeah, it has a rear brake, huh.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Oh yeah, it has a rear brake, huh.

THAT is up for discussion.....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
Mine seems pretty good, and I too tend to use all brakes as well.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Two pistons compared to 8 on the front and one rotor vs two.  It's not going to provide the same braking power as the front. 

And when you are braking, all the weight moves to the front wheel and little remains on the rear... which is why the rear brake is usually of little value (same with cars) for just plain stopping or slowing down quickly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
My ZRX had more a effective rear brake.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
I only use it sitting at red lights while I text...  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
My ZRX had more a effective rear brake.

I never noticed it on my ZRX, because I almost never used the rear brake.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
I only use it sitting at red lights while I text...  ;)

That is my next move....I guess my 08 ABS will never see ABS on the rear.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
I never noticed it on my ZRX, because I almost never used the rear brake.

I usually trail braked on the ZRX.  The C 14 is more stable for me in the front end.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »
That is my next move....I guess my 08 ABS will never see ABS on the rear.

I've actuated it once on mine...I like that feature.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Dave Bogue

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 11:07:01 AM »
And when you are braking, all the weight moves to the front wheel and little remains on the rear... which is why the rear brake is usually of little value (same with cars) for just plain stopping or slowing down quickly.

True, but the C14 (unlike a sportbike) has a long wheelbase and is designed to carry a passenger and luggage.  Sportbikes are prone to do wheelies and stoppies, the C14 is not.  Since there's a lot more weight on a C14 back tire when stopping, so it would seem logical the rider can use more back brake.  This is even more true if the bike is ABS equipped.   

A weak back brake may be good for performance riding, but there are times when the back brake should be used because use of the front brake will cause a front tire skid.  And, if the front brakes fail, the back brake is all you've got.

FWIW, my C14 rear brake is weaker than the one on my ZX-10R.  Go figure. 

Dave
Bradenton Fl
2009 ABS 

C14 ABS
SV1000
Ninja 1000