Author Topic: Newb w/ 01 project bike  (Read 5289 times)

Offline buzz

Newb w/ 01 project bike
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
First post, so greetings to you all.
Have been lurking for a while and appreciated all of the info and support I've noticed in the group. Looks like a great bunch of people to hang with.
Recently accquired a dropped 01 and have been feverishly gathering parts to start the rebuild. Luckily all the damage seems to be cosmetic with exception of the upper fairing  mount bracket, it's alittle bent. Have all the plastic off and thought I'd change plugs, adj the valves, flush the coolant, change oil and filter and put in all new brake fluids bedfore putting the fairng back together.
I'll post some pic's a little later. Anyone have experince with Dunlop Sportmaster tires?

Thanls,
Buzz

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Newb w/ 01 project bike
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
Welcome and congrats on the "new" bike. PLEASE don't tell us your first question for the group is a tire question! Here we go! You will find lots of tire opinions, very few, in my memory, favor Dunlops. I run Avons, there are a few options out there for stock size rims, of course swapping rims is a popular option as well. The madness starts here...
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Read up on Hydro lock and install over flow tubes.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Pictures attached.
The bike starts and runs fine, will do the scheduled maintenance items now plus get the body back togther. Would like the opportunity to get some saddle time in before weather starts to turn cold.
Will have plenty of time this winter to tear the carbs apart and get them up to date and sync'd.
Tires on the bike have plenty of tread and I'm not going to be riding aggresively to test their limits. I was just curious if someone had experience with them.
Looks like this is goinna be fun!!!
Buzz

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
Not sure where you're located Buzz, but I saw this one being parted out on Portland CL...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/2502544341.html

Maybe he has some stuff you need, congrats and have fun with the project brutha!

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »
Buzz,
Congrats on the bike, you might want to check the yr again though. I see a red fender in that pic, now if it has been painted I understand, or if it has been changed, but if not, it isn't an 01.
The 01 was Sonic Blue, like mine. Have fun with your re-build, you will more about your bike then probably care to by the time your done.
Ride safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline buzz

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:07 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
My Bad, yes it is a 2000 model, not 01.

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »
Need help with start up after re-build.
Bike has had a lot of work done to it, but more to come this winter.
New plugs, changed fluids ( oil, brake, final drive, clutch, coolant), new fairing pieces, risers, levers, rear brake pads, bar end wieghts, rear turn signals, RT side peg and brake lever, fairing stay, bags, repainted forks, lubed rear suspension points, re-oiled K & N filter, new mirror, etc......
yes I've put a lot of time in putting things back to the condition they should be. A local painter is finishing last touches on applying deep "BalBoa" blue paint to all of the plastics, should be ready this weekend. Looking forward to putting it all back together.
 I know a lot of you have gone through the same process, what did you do to to make sure everything went together right and what to check before putting it on the road.
Will post pic's once assemebly is done.
Cudos' to the all of members that have provided such as great source of Connie information!!!!!!!!!
Buzz

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
I guess this might be the cart before the horse sense here, but in all of my in-depth repairing, I have a reverse checklist. Hopefully, this is what you have done in this rebuild. If not, just sit back, no tunes, or drinks, just sit back and go over in your head what you have done to this bike.
Take your time, check the odvious things like caliper bolts, axle bolts, tank bolts, screws all in on the plastic, you get the idea.
Check oil level, give the battery a good charge and take the plunge.
Hope this helps, have fun.
Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Silverado

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
Buzz, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new project.  Lots of good information and advice to be had.  Note....you may want to do a compression test on each cylinder to establish a baseline for future reference.  Best wishes on the restoration.....

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
Welcome and look forward to seeing another on the road.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Assembly basically finished. Do have some minor tweeking to do but otherwise it's done.
Took it up and down the street a few times for safety check out and everything seems good to go. Gotta say the in-line 4 engine gives a lot of power and much smotther than the V-twins I currently ride.
Will have to polish out the plastics to get better shine, budget didn't allow for big $$$ paint job.
Pic attached.
Looking forward to first hwy ride.
Buzz

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:25:48 PM »
Looking good, nice job :thumbs:
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline throb

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
Good work!  Always nice to see a bike resurrected!
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
My Bad, yes it is a 2000 model, not 01.

Pfloydgad he was just wishing it was a '01 like ours.  ;D
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"