Author Topic: Aux tank flow problems solved  (Read 1782 times)

Offline 4cedars

Aux tank flow problems solved
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
The problem I had was unable to get any flow until I popped the gas cap open. I tapped into the tank with 8AN bulkhead fittings for the feed and also the vent line I installed in the tank that runs up through the tank to the "air pocket" that is at the top of the tank. For this I used a short length of 1/2" i.d. PTFE. I had a 45 degree fitting swagged to it at a hose shop. I attached it to the bulkhead fitting on the inside of the tank, (very tricky). The tank now drains out in under 10 miles at highway speed. The tank vent and overflow are both located on the top of the tank on the right hand side. I had to move 1 of the bulkhead fittings to that location because when the bike is on the side stand and you reinstall the aux cap, fuel tends to come out the overflow tube. I wait until the fuel level drops to a certain level and then dump the entire load, that way the tank is either full or empty. The only problem I encountered when installing the air tube in the tank was routing. You MUST route the tube under the factory installed vent lines when the tank is upside down. Otherwise the tube will interfere with the swing of the fuel gauge arm, (experience!). The PTFE hose was able to be shaped using a propane torch and heating slightly while forming the shape I wanted while the hose cooled.  I plan on doing a full write up with photos and materials lists for the forum in the near future, just no time right now. John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Dade22

Re: Aux tank flow problems solved
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »
could ya post some pics of your aux setup?

Good job on fixing the transfer problem

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."