The C-14, aka Kawasaki Concours-14, the new one :) > Accessories and modifications - C14/GTR 1400

Automatic Battery Charger question

(1/6) > >>

lather:
I bought a Motostance Type 2 automatic battery "maintenance" battery charger. It has a charge rate of 750 mA . The  "maintenance" voltage is 14.4. My other three chargers have a maintenance voltage of around 3.2. MY question: is 14.4 too high for a maintenance charge?

jonathan:
Do you mean amperage, because I don't think that you can charge a 12 volt battery with 3.2 volts?

basmntdweller:
I am guessing you meant 13.2V in the OP. 14.4V is too high for a long term storage type deal. Most battery tenders(over winter type) are in the 13.2-13.7 range. My understanding is 14.4V is slowly boiling off the acid in the battery.

Matt

lather:

--- Quote from: basmntdweller on November 21, 2012, 08:30:05 AM ---I am guessing you meant 13.2V in the OP. 14.4V is too high for a long term storage type deal. Most battery tenders(over winter type) are in the 13.2-13.7 range. My understanding is 14.4V is slowly boiling off the acid in the battery.

Matt

--- End quote ---
Yes, typo, I meant to say 13.2. I also used to believe that 14 volts would boil away the water but according to the Concours voltage display, its charging voltage is 14.2 +/- 2 and that seems to be the spec for most all automotive charging systems. Then, there is maintenance free batteries that don't have water to boil away. BTW, I have this charger on my VFR and I think the batt is lead/acid type.

basmntdweller:
The 14.2-14.7 is standard for lead acid batteries on vehicles. They only charge when running. It is a big difference when it is sitting for 3 months or so being held at that voltage. They are much happier around 13.5V in those conditions.

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version