Author Topic: What's with low mileage Connie's?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Bourne2Ride

What's with low mileage Connie's?
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
What's with all the low mileage Connie's. I was doing a quick scan of eBay and Craig's list looking for used farkles and there are dozens of 2008's and later bikes with 8K miles or less!
I've had my 2011 since March, and in the 5 months since have ridden it over 6K miles.
Could it be that the only bikes for sale or that would sell are low mileage examples? If so, why buy a Super Sport Tourer if you're not going to get some miles on it. There were a lot cheaper bikes available when I purchased my bike, and if I weren't going to put miles on it I would have chosen a different (read: less expensive) motorcycle.

I guess what I'm saying is why buy the Concours14 / GTR1400 if you don't intend to - well, tour? Seems like a huge waste of money on a "mistaken" purchase.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: What's with low mileage Connie's?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
It's always been that way with all makes and types of bikes."Some own them, some Ride them."
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
You're right! I had an 08 and put 44,000 miles on it in 18 months. And I have a 2010 that is now 7 months old with over 13,000 miles on it. I think with a Sport-Tourer you should be looking to ride 15,000-25,000 per year. Unless you don't ride often, but when you do, it is on freaky long tours.
Joel from Maine.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »
It's always been that way with all makes and types of bikes."Some own them, some Ride them."

+1 to that.

My 2010 has over 17K on it now, and that's trying not to ride in the rain, in the Pacific North West Wet.   :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »
Some people just have too many toys. I prefer to have two sets - Summer, C14 and Mountain bike, and Winter, Snow Skis.

There's only so my fun you can have and two wheel, two skis seems to work for me.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline flippedr6

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
Some of us just can't ride as much as we want.  I'm a pilot and work 7days on away from home and 7 days off at home.  During the week I have a ton of house work to do.  I can't ride the bike to work due to luggage and headset bag.  But when I do take it out it gets miles.  First trip in 08 8 day trip from Boston to Nova Scotia, last year 7 day trip back roads Boston to PA, this year 7 day trip Boston to WI.  When I ride with my friends on some  weekends we usually do 500 mi days.  I wish I could ride it more but the time isn't always there.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
What's with all the low mileage Connie's. I was doing a quick scan of eBay and Craig's list looking for used farkles and there are dozens of 2008's and later bikes with 8K miles or less!
............Seems like a huge waste of money on a "mistaken" purchase.

what you are seeing is exactly that, the result of people who just "had to have" the super-tourer with the big image, when it was introduced.
Many of these purchasers did not fit the bike physically, or mentally, but they had cash, and bought it thinking they could make it fit....to a sad realization that they could not.
Many installed lowering kits, bar replacements/adjustments, farkles out the butt, in an attempt to make it fit them, or their style, with great expectations, and realized it just wasn't gonna happen.....but they did get to brag about having "the baddest" bike around for a year or two before quietly placing it up for sale....

people today have a slight edge, and can read all the diatribe that has now been placed in print, and can make a better decision when looking for a ride, at least if they read all the different opinions of this bike for the last 4 years, they had more to go on than those buying the bike "cold" when it was introduced.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »
I've had my 2011 since March, and in the 5 months since have ridden it over 6K miles.
Could it be that the only bikes for sale or that would sell are low mileage examples? If so, why buy a Super Sport Tourer if you're not going to get some miles on it. There were a lot cheaper bikes available when I purchased my bike, and if I weren't going to put miles on it I would have chosen a different (read: less expensive) motorcycle.

I guess what I'm saying is why buy the Concours14 / GTR1400 if you don't intend to - well, tour? Seems like a huge waste of money on a "mistaken" purchase.

There are still new leftover models out there for sale, so 8k miles really isn't telling much if the bike was just bought new within the past year...

I also agree with Stewart, multiple toys (or other hobbies) will definately play into that, I'm guessing that the "majority" of folks with high miles only have one bike in the garage...

I'd also make the argument that just because one does not ride across the country or put a lot of miles on their bike doesn't mean they still don't enjoy owning and riding one for shorter weekend/day trips and even commuting...

Nothing wrong with low mileage bikes IMO, for some of us (like me) there are many reasons for not racking up high miles year after year... family, work, and travel often come before riding for me.  :-\

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »

I know a dealer around here just picked up around 10 '08 demo units that all had anywhere from 4k to 20k from Kawi, so that may be part of it.

I purchased my '08 this year with only 3200 miles on it.  The previous owner had two bikes, and his other bike had majority of his miles on it.

I can also say I've only put about 3k on my bike since I bought it, but I don't feel it was a mistake, I just don't get a chance to ride because of other responsibilities with family and work.  Of course out of my 3k, probably 2-2.5k of that was all on multi-day trips through twisties and avoiding interstates.  I'm a believer in quality miles, anyone can set a throttle lock at 75 and go 500+ miles in a day.  Part of the reason I don't waste my time with the Iron Butt.  I love to ride - but I value the quality of the miles over the quantity.

If I had the money (and wife approval) I would probably have kept my little 600cc FZ6 and used it as my daily commuter too.  I love the C14, but there are times I miss having a super light bike for running to work, etc. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
I'm just tickled pink that it is the case,  I bought mine in early June with 2,000 miles.  It was bought new in 08 and just never fit the orginal purchaser.  I've put 4,700 miles on it since and commute with it on most days including recent 97-100 degree days.  I love the bike.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Some of us just can't ride as much as we want. On the days when I can ride to work (usually have to take the truck), it's still only 8 miles total.

The big trip I had planned for this summer, well, looks like it's not going to happen. Too far behind at work and gotta pay for the toys somehow.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
Mines got 5000 miles on it.. 1.5 years old. I guess I never bonded with C-14 ... I suppose  its  the weight thing,not sporting enough. I get on it when I feel like cruising and it does that pretty good.
Why havent I got rid of it ??
I will when the time is right and I see a bike I want to trade for .In the meantime Ive got another bike to ride(06 FZ1) that really gets my blood going. Its my main squeeze.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »

Some have less TIME/opportunity to ride them (that would be me) than others do.
Others have multiple vehicles that get time shared between them all.
Yet others live in areas with really sucky weather equating to a shorter riding "season".
Some of us live 4 blocks from work and walk (that would be me; I put a total of about 4,000 miles per year on my car and bike COMBINED).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
I have a few bikes and the '10 C14 alone has >41,000.  The first 10 months I had it i did laps on the track and a few thousand street miles on an R1 too (sold it lately).  Plus I ride a Honda on knobbies often.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
Thanks for posting everyone. That clears it up for me. I was assuming there were a lot of people with more money then sense out there that wanted the big dog Connie; but only ride her in fair weather to the local bike bar on a Saturday or Sunday.
Since I only have space and money for one bike I picked the bike that suit my need for a Long Distance sporty bike that I could have fun with day to day. I can see if, I could own more then one bike, how I would get a naked sports bike and commute to work with that everyday and have fun most weekends.
The Concours fits my needs adequately. There's a place in my heart for that Naked Sport Bike (I really want a Speed Triple R); but not a place in my life.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline stewart

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
You should be very happy with the Connie. I only had budget and enough leash for one bike. I also wanted something I could tour on with the wife, and something sporty when I was alone.

The C14 has been perfect, its even sporty when the wife is on the back fully loaded up with gear, and comfortable when I'm riding miles on my own.

Its a sure bet, but test ride one to find out yourself.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »
Still better than most Harley owners...........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

valkmc

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
I have a 2009 w/13.5k. Bought it new Dec of 2010 with zero miles and owned two bikes until April of 2010 when I sold my Valkyrie. I rode both bikes when I had two. Don't ride to work often, the commute is only 6 miles. Don't feel like letting the bike sit in Florida sunshine all day for a 6 mile ride.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
Time, I don't know where you all get the time.
I'm not commuting to NYC on my Connie. Ever!
An hour in the Lincoln tunnel sucking fumes and parking on the street, where they park by feel, ain't happening! EVER.  >:(
Only got 2k on my left over 09 since Nov, and I'm content with that, for now. Plus another 1200 on my TBS. After a suck a$$ winter and damn hot summer. Did 700+ day once on the TBS, once. Hence the purchase of the Concours. Not as young as I once was.
But I'm looking forward to it. ;D
To quote Robin Williams... "Reality... What a concept!!"
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:44:27 AM »
Consider this.  I have a 30 month old Goldwing with less than 9,000 miles on it.  Why?  Because it's a two-up bike only for when my wife rides with me, and she won't ride for 6 months of the year due to the heat.  But it doesn't mean I don't ride.  My 20  month old Concours has 23,000 miles on it.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale