Author Topic: Disappointment with AVON  (Read 6660 times)

Offline Stavee

Disappointment with AVON
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
I have a defective front Avon storm 2 ultra. I contacted Avon after having the front of the bike checked out at the local dealer. Avon told me to contact the dealer I purchased the tire from and they should replace the defective tire. I asked that Avon contact the dealer and have them send a new tire so I could have the use of the bike. The up shot was they would not contact the dealer and arrange such a transaction. They did suggest that I purchase a new tire and then return the bad tire for credit, with this the dealer agreed.
For some reason this bothered me. I sat down and put numbers to this scenario and ended with a total outlay of $403.00 and for that I would receive a credit of $124.00.  With this information, I contacted Avon and the dealer,outlining the details. The dealer responded that the best they could do is offer me a $40.00 in-store credit to offset the expense of the tire mounting. I have had no further response from Avon.
Now for the dilemma, do I put my bike out of commission for a week or two and receive a replacement tire and still be out $279.00 with a new tire or purchase a tire and get a replacement tire and an in-store credit and still be out $239.00.
I think Avon should be stepping up to help defray the cost due to their defective tire. What do you think?
First bike '38 DKW

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Re: Disappointment with AVON
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
How many miles are on this tire and how is it defective?

If you are talking a hundred or so miles and there is clearly a defect, and you bought the tire through a bike shop and paid them to mount it, it should fall back on the bike shop to replace the tire for free and take it up with Avon.  I know this may not be a great comparison, but if you buy a new TV and its dead out of the box or after a day or two, you would return it to the store, not contact the manufacturer.

Now if you have a thousand miles or so on this tire, that really blurs the lines.  At that point if Avon admits the tire is clearly defective - not just the bike shop - then they should at least credit you a new tire.  Either way, why is it so much out of pocket?  Are Avons that expensive?

To me whatever gets you on the road fastest is best.  At least up here the season is short, so I would rather eat $40 and have the bike for the two weeks.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Stavee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
The tire was purchased on line and installed elsewhere. The problem was noticed immediately and taken to the shop. Avon was notified at around 87 miles  and all checks and items provided by Avon where followed. Tire and shop charges add up fast. I am looking for them to cover shop charges! Hopefully!
There is definitely a spot in the tire which causes it to twitch on the surface of the street. So how many miles; Well I have 4k + and resolution is still pending. Occasionally I will do 1k day rides.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
The tire was purchased on line and installed elsewhere. The problem was noticed immediately and taken to the shop. Avon was notified at around 87 miles  and all checks and items provided by Avon where followed. Tire and shop charges add up fast. I am looking for them to cover shop charges! Hopefully!
There is definitely a spot in the tire which causes it to twitch on the surface of the street. So how many miles; Well I have 4k + and resolution is still pending. Occasionally I will do 1k day rides.

Buying the tire online does throw a wrench into the equation.  I would still think its fair for Avon to cover the cost of the new front instead of you having to pay upfront for it and if they can't give you money for labor, at least give you a hell of a deal on your next tire (half off or better). 

Given the fact you have 4k on the tire, it doesn't sound like a serious safety issue, so its hard to get too demanding with them, but it never hurts to kindly remind them that you are active on various forums and no one wants bad publicity....

Just my 2 cents here, hope everything works out!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
If you believe the tire is truly defective, and Avon does not offer to pay for replacing the tire, then outline all the numbers to them and why they are relevant, then politely inform them you will be taking them to Small Claims Court.  That statement alone will usually get their attention, and in most cases get them to take care of the customer without any more delays.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Stavee

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Seems I am not alone in this, I have found 3 others locally with the same issue over this past year. Two had the tire replaced and one just lived with it. However, none are considering buying another Avon. That is sort of where I am. Just cut my losses and move on to a more reliable and customer oriented  brand.
I hope you all consider this when thinking of changing tires and brands.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
I was a big fan of Avon. The Venom's and Cobra's were the best tires on my Valkyrie. That's why I gave the Storm II Ultra's a try on my C14 but was disappointed. They did handle better then OEM stones but didn't last as long. So far the PR3's I replaced them with handle fantastic and are holding up well. If Avon agrees the tire was defective and you notified them 87 miles after installation, they absolutely should replace the tire. Anything else is unacceptable IMHO.

Offline august

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
I don't remember the time lines, but if you paid by credit card, sometime's there are ways to get the charge taken off your card.

Might be worth a look, I have contested a purchase before, and had the charge removed from my account balance.
A married man should forget all of his mistakes, there is no reason for two people to remember them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
Total craziness, none of the options on the table from the dealer nor manufacturer sound very good.  Good luck with that dilema!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline DaveO

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
its never good to take parts into a shop that you bought somewhere else.
Like taking food into a resturant and asking them to cook it for you.

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 04:58:36 PM »
I also got a bad front Avon tire, it was scary bad.
 I contacted the distributor I purchased it from and they told me that on their website they had recommended to NOT buy the Avons due to quality control issues but that only seemed to increase sales so they removed that info from their website. They suggested that I repace it with anything but another Avon. Too bad cause I really liked them when I could get a good one. My riding buddy had the same thing happen to him too.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:03:02 PM »
If I am reading this correctly, you put 3900 miles on a tire after you found out it was "defective".  If so, you should be thrilled to get back $124 on the tire.  I find this hard to believe, as it is hard to fathom a rational rider putting four thousand miles on a know defective tire and then complaining about it.  Hopefully I have just misread the posts.

If you put 87 miles on the tire, but the bike has 4k total on it, your complaint may hold water.

If you aren't happy w/ Avon, buy a different new tire, and take the $124 and call it good.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
If I am reading this correctly, you put 3900 miles on a tire after you found out it was "defective".  If so, you should be thrilled to get back $124 on the tire.  I find this hard to believe, as it is hard to fathom a rational rider putting four thousand miles on a know defective tire and then complaining about it.  Hopefully I have just misread the posts.

If you put 87 miles on the tire, but the bike has 4k total on it, your complaint may hold water.

If you aren't happy w/ Avon, buy a different new tire, and take the $124 and call it good.

I hope you never consider me a "rational"  rider

I road through the Rocky Mountains and then off-roaded in the desert (in 110 degree heat by myself) on a plug leaking around 5-10 pounds a day. Then rode thousands more miles on plug back to FL @  $^& speeds.  Damn it was FUN!

PR3s rock off road too, the plug hanging out the tire  is just extra grip. Here's where that plug took me:

Desert

Mountains

Seas
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »

I road through the Rocky Mountains and then off-roaded in the desert (in 110 degree heat by myself) on a plug leaking around 5-10 pounds a day. Then rode thousands more miles back to FL @ %$^& speeds.  Damn it was FUN!

PR3s rock off road too, the plug hanging out the tire  is just extra grip. Here's where that plug took me:

Desert

Mountains

Seas

Jill... Road hard and put away wet/dry/cold/hot...  ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

Jill... Road hard and put away wet/dry/cold/hot...  ;)

Yes sir, "Jill".......... she was a fiesty precious little thing!  ;D

Offline Stavee

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »

Avon told me to keep using it to see if it would improve.

Yes sir, "Jill".......... she was a fiesty precious little thing!  ;D

I had the Avon on for our jaunt up Berthoud pass so we weren't using the squirmy part of the tread or teasing Jill much.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
<snip>
Not to worry.  The word "rational" never crossed my mind when reading your posts.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Any better resolution from Avon?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »

You got 4K out of a tire you're labeling "defective." Do the trade-in and get the $124 which will put you within shouting distance of a new tire and be done with it. Life's too short for this stuff . . .

Offline Stavee

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
Avon wrote back yesterday that they would pay for mounting.
First bike '38 DKW