Author Topic: Oil drain plug  (Read 7564 times)

Offline jrcruisin

• It is what it is!
Oil drain plug
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
Hello Everyone!
   My first bike back in "88"was a Ninja 1000R so I'm liking my 86 ZG1000!  It's familiar!  I bought it off craigslist.  The first thing I do
regardless of the seller's promises is to change the oil, filter, and final ...
   So I want to share something ..The oil drain plug was stripped! It looked liked someone tried to solder the plug to hold oil and pass it on.  That sucks!   It wasn't the plug that was stripped it was the aluminum casing in the pan.  I thought about tapping it ..it can be risky.
   If U ever have this problem ..go to a hardware store ..I had to go to many to find a 12x1.5 and cut it, grind it , and taper it to 2x the l
length of the original.  This will surpass the stripped area in the casing.   It worked for me!   Happy Motoring!!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:32:07 AM »
Good save; your not the first to fall victim to the ham fisted tighter than hell club when it come to the oil pan drain bolts.

Never understood why some people would want to reef so much on oiled alum threads? Thread it in by hand till it bottoms out and just a tiny bump more is all it takes... That and replace the crush washer once in a great while; usually it's the crush washer that gets lost that leads up to this problem.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »
"Replace the crush washer"
I think that is the problem in one little nutshell. Even though they are cheap, they aren't commonly available at WallyWorld, so you have to remember the size and stop somewhere that stocks them. Or buy a batch and then remember where you left them last time...
It would just be so easy if a new crush washer came in the box with  new oil filters. Though knowing how people think, the manufacturer who doesn't include the washer, and charges $0.25 less, will be the market leader.

Offline IraB

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »

A lot of people just tighten everything till it strips or snaps....then back off 1/8 of a turn.

Offline jrcruisin

• It is what it is!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
  I forgot to mention ..U can use a magnet once U get the new plug in.  Back it out and use a magnet to get any aluminum shavings from the stripped casing.  It may filter out however, best to be safe when it comes to your ride!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »
  I forgot to mention ..U can use a magnet once U get the new plug in.  Back it out and use a magnet to get any aluminum shavings from the stripped casing.  It may filter out however, best to be safe when it comes to your ride!

Where did you find a magnet that will attract aluminum??
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Where did you find a magnet that will attract aluminum??
:popcorn: :popcorn:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jrcruisin

• It is what it is!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
OK!  You got me multitasking!  ..and now I want to know a little bit about a quick fix!  I tried to get a 12X1.5 oversized drain plug.
    It wasn't possible ..I can't get aluminum shavings back w/out draining it again. Magnets won't work!  I'm cheap! ..but thrifty!
  I redrained my main oil plug into a clean oil pan ..and filtered it back in w/ cheese cloth!  U can do that however, just back it up, let it run, and put in a new quart!

What's up w/ this sea foam?? ..

Offline jrcruisin

• It is what it is!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
I'm sorry!  ...a magnet won't work!   It can't connect to aluminum ....and U can't get shavings back from your oil pan unless U drain it a little more!  Please forgive me!
  I'm still curious about this sea foam? 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
I'm sorry!  ...a magnet won't work!   It can't connect to aluminum ....and U can't get shavings back from your oil pan unless U drain it a little more!  Please forgive me!
  I'm still curious about this sea foam?

Fuel additive that MIGHT help clear up some very minor carb issues caused by a lack of riding, old and dirty fuel etc....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
..The oil drain plug was stripped!

You know there are TWO drain plugs and the filter right?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline jrcruisin

• It is what it is!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »
    Yes I do know there are 2 drain plugs ..I had a CB750 and it had 3!  I just got my Clymer's manual for this Connie.  I want to say
I screwed up when purchasing this bike!  I checked the gas tank ..no rust! ..I took it for a ride and it was OK!
  I didn't realize the speedometer/odometer didn't work!  Is there a way to know the actual mileage.  I replaced the cable and
now It's all good! 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »
    Yes I do know there are 2 drain plugs ..I had a CB750 and it had 3!  I just got my Clymer's manual for this Connie.  I want to say
I screwed up when purchasing this bike!  I checked the gas tank ..no rust! ..I took it for a ride and it was OK!
  I didn't realize the speedometer/odometer didn't work!  Is there a way to know the actual mileage.  I replaced the cable and
now It's all good!

Improperly routed cables make cable breakage a common failure but truth be known with a water cooled motor as long as they are treated with reasonable prudence they are very long lasting motors and bikes in general....

While this is not a stock Concours front end the picture depicts a proper cable route; many people fail by trying to also route it through the brake stay too.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
For a stripped Oil Plug, go to an auto supply and buy an oversized oil plug.
They are offered in varous "Oversizes".
The lead threads on the oversized plug has reliefs machined into them, so that the plug cuts new/deeper threads as you screw it in.
Worked for me one time.
EZ to do.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Summit670

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
You could use an ez-coil or tap-sert to repair then use the oem plug.  The hardest part for me is keeping the tap at a 90 degree angle.  On my ATV differential, I didn't get it 90 deg and I just use some rtv on the plug/washer to make sure it seals.  I suppose you could use a plug like some autos use which have a built in rubber sealing surface, or use a rubber coated washer made for oil drain plugs.

Either way, I've heard use plenty of grease on threads of tap or on threads of new oversized plug and I'd thread it in a little, then back out to clean the tap/plug, then regrease and thread it in some more, etc.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline julianop

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

While this is not a stock Concours front end the picture depicts a proper cable route; many people fail by trying to also route it through the brake stay too.

+1.
I had a BMW owner friend replace my front tire. He tore up my speedo cable the first time around, and routed the replacement over the brake caliper assembly. Got it fixed now - it wasn't too tough - but attention to detail is never a bad thing!
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.