Author Topic: Stock saddle bags performance in Rain?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline RIP50AK

Stock saddle bags performance in Rain?
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:52:56 PM »
I am planning an extended trip for the first time with my Concours 1400 and have never ridden in major rain. How are the bags for keeping things dry?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stock saddle bags performance in Rain?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
Mine have not leaked.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
Dry as a bone since 7/7/07, and I have thousands of miles in torrential downpours

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
Excellent, never a drop inside the bag even in driving downpour.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
Me too.  300 miles last weekend in pretty good rain, and all dry inside.  Very happy.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
I am planning an extended trip for the first time with my Concours 1400 and have never ridden in major rain. How are the bags for keeping things dry?

100% dry.  Never a single drop of water inside them.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:47 PM »

Yep, have done 100s of miles in the rain, everything dry.

elp_jc

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:36:13 PM »
I was surprised by how well the Connie bags are engineered. They close and seal super well. Only wish they had the double-locking feature BMWs have, but none other bike has that anyway. And not a huge deal. Need to find some knobs and fix that issue like many here have done. Already have the 2 spare keys somewhere. And yes, they work fine ;).

Offline Shoe

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »
Since Jan 08 and no problems. And I've hauled a lot of groceries without spilling anything.

I imagine if you over stuff or are somewhat careless then they could leak.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
Pouring ran on the PA turnpike for 2 hours and all i could think about was my laptop in the bottom of my right bag. Got to the hotel, and not a drop got into the bag.

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:39:48 PM »
Thanks all, very reassuring to know that is one thing I don't need to worry about.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
I will join the ranks with all the others; hours of riding the bike is rain so hard that cars were pulling over and never, ever a single drop in either bay. For that matter, even the cheezy Gen. 1 glove box stays dry inside no matter what, including having to wipe slush off the top of the bike.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 04:58:29 AM »
No issues here either, and I've done a lot of miles in the rain...hard rain too.

I did have any issue with the left saddlebag on my 08 C14 though...about a foot of the rubber seal came loose and was being a pain...I had to kind of prop it into place when closing the case. I finally glued it back in, and it was fine. In any case, loose seal or not, the cases never leaked, before or after....and I've ridden in the rain for days on end.

PS: I still haven't forgotten the old days...lol. Getting up in the morning while on a bike trip, and putting all your wet gear back on....what an awful feeling...lol. Then, packing all your stuff into garbage bags and grocery bags...before putting it in the motorcycle "luggage" you tied to the bike, and hope and pray that the rain wouldn't work it's way into the bags somehow before the next stop for the night...lol.

Unless you've done things the hard way, you can never truly appreciate things the good way;).

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 05:21:30 AM »
well, figures, mine were the exception. not soaked, but not completely dry. if i recall one of mine would seep, just a bit, but things would get damp.
the fix was easy, just some foam tape on the face where the seal contacts, problem solved.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »
It retains bottled liquids quite well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »
The real test would be after a bag self- ejects into the weeds on the side of the highway, and sits there upside down for three weeks until you find it.

;D

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
 :rotflmao:   I did that with a 6-pack of beer one time (trooper getting ready to pull me).   Came back a week later (all intact) and got it, put it on ice, and yes it was still good.  It was shaken but not stirred.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
I was surprised by how well the Connie bags are engineered. They close and seal super well. Only wish they had the double-locking feature BMWs have, but none other bike has that anyway. And not a huge deal. Need to find some knobs and fix that issue like many here have done. Already have the 2 spare keys somewhere. And yes, they work fine ;).
Bags always kept my stuff dry, through rain storms, road spray and washings. Knobbed my cases, with the added bonus of using either
bag key to unlock the tank without having to take the gloves off, or search in my pocket (which one today) for the FOB! Ahhh!!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline XR6

• 2009 ABS Black
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »
Been in plenty off rain, had no leaks. However, I always pack my stuff in a large plastic rubbish bag also keeps it tight together so that if you have to open the side to get something out,  all your gear doesn't start falling out...... Very easy to do and is xtra insurance if it does leak.
2009 ABS Black, AreaP carbon, K&N air filter, PC V, Flies Out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
I always pack my stuff in a large plastic rubbish bag also keeps it tight together so that if you have to open the side to get something out,  all your gear doesn't start falling out...... Very easy to do and is xtra insurance if it does leak.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGKA-CON14-SDL-R-Saddlebag-Kawasaki-Concours/dp/B001OBVAUI
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc