Author Topic: Do You Remove the STOVE KNOB key?  (Read 41619 times)

Offline COGnosticat0r

Re: Do You Remove the STOVE PIPE key
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
e told me to use a teflon or silicone spray in the locks.

Anyone know if this is correct?

I don't know if that is correct or not, but this is what I use in mine as well as lube the chain on my wifes bike
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline PH14

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
Reply to PH14 message regarding Graphite dusting of locks.

I always was taught by my dad to use graphite in locks. A few months ago when I went to a local locksmith, he told me not to use graphite as if it gets wet or get sprayed with silicone it cannot escape the lock and can cause binding / damage to the lock. He told me to use a teflon or silicone spray in the locks.

Graphit is best on locks and every locksmith I have talked to recommends it. I'm surprised the one you talked to told you otherwise. It cannot bind when it gets wet. Silicone will simply attract dirt so it is best not to use it. I used a graphite based lock lubricant once on my C14 gas cap lock about 8000 miles ago and it has been in the rain over and over and over again and the key slips in and out very smoothly. Before using the graphite the key would bind. Since a little graphite was on the key, the ignition works smoothly without binding as well. If you have ever disassembled a lock after someone used silicone on it you will never again use silicone on a lock.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
I don't know if that is correct or not, but this is what I use in mine as well as lube the chain on my wifes bike

I like the new avatar COG!!  :thumbs:   :P

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »

;D  Time for a change  8)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Excellent- here we have a thread about the [best oil to use in KiPass]. Just for the record, I started one of these KiPass- lube threads years ago but it was wiped out in the recent crash.

;D

The jury seems to be out on what kind of lube to use in the keyhole of the various locks on motorcycles and also on what to lube the KiPass activation switch with. I will confess to using a small amount of silicone spray on the key and then using the key to transfer a small amount of it to the leaves (whatever they are called) of locks. It seems to work for me but might be the worst idea ever. ??

Brian

Reply to PH14 message regarding Graphite dusting of locks.

I always was taught by my dad to use graphite in locks. A few months ago when I went to a local locksmith, he told me not to use graphite as if it gets wet or get sprayed with silicone it cannot escape the lock and can cause binding / damage to the lock. He told me to use a teflon or silicone spray in the locks.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »

+1  I asked for the full size version!

Offline Rawman

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
Removed it once after about the first 3 months of ownership, Ki-Rock was needed later that night, coincidence?  Never removed it again and now over 22,000 miles and that was only Ki-Rock incident.......

'09 non-ABS
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »
Hey, that is close enough to proof for me. Sort of like 'kill the virgin so the corn will grow'- they killed a virgin every year and by huckies, the new crop of corn grew.

I think it is OK to remove the stove knob key if you throw salt over your shoulder afterward though.  ;)

Brian

Removed it once after about the first 3 months of ownership, Ki-Rock was needed later that night, coincidence?  Never removed it again and now over 22,000 miles and that was only Ki-Rock incident.......

'09 non-ABS
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline R Nelson

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2011, 05:15:30 AM »
+1  I asked for the full size version!

Full size and real life version!

BTW, I leave my key in all the time.  However to keep people from messing with it and other things on the bike, I always cover the bike when I travel.   A cover helps with that and keeps the bike dry.   :thumbs:
My Current Rides:
2008 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
2006 Ford F150 SCAB, 5.4L

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:04 PM »
Leave in and always lock the forks.   Only remove for fuel and bags.  But only have 400 miles on the bike so far so that could change over time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 06:38:15 AM »
Hey, that is close enough to proof for me. Sort of like 'kill the virgin so the corn will grow'- they killed a virgin every year and by huckies, the new crop of corn grew.

I think it is OK to remove the stove knob key if you throw salt over your shoulder afterward though.  ;)

Brian

Which shoulder Brian? I think that it matters. Face away from the bike too, Connie is on a salt free diet.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
I only removed and used the stove key once. I opened the fuel cap with it. When I closed the fuel cap (key still in) my ape-like hand somehow bent the key right over - it was remarkably soft. I was then terrified that it would snap off because I had to bend it back to remove it from the lock. It is nearly straight now, but I'll never use it again for fear I'll break it off :)
Anybody know if it can be replaced?

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
Yes you must remove it and never leave it on the bike. Anyone with a pair of vice grips can force the key to start the bike and steal it.

True? That is the first I have heard of that - so if I forget my KIPASS fob, I can just muscle the stove knob key and start the bike? Cool!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
You need a valid fob to start the bike. There is no other way. The key could be forced to turn but the bike will not start without a valid fob w/in range.

Brian

True? That is the first I have heard of that - so if I forget my KIPASS fob, I can just must the stove knob key and start the bike? Cool!

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »
You need a valid fob to start the bike. There is no other way. The key could be forced to turn but the bike will not start without a valid fob w/in range.

Brian

KIPASS saves the day again!  :D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
I do not know. I am not much for superstitions other than the amusing factor; it would be a life- long high point to get someone to do the KiPass incantation, including the dance that goes with it. I tried to teach Bob but I think we all know how that went (he couldn't remember anything past " I pledge, to the fob of KiPass, one starting system, undefeatable....." it is 'undefeatable' where he chokes up).

Brian

Which shoulder Brian? I think that it matters. Face away from the bike too, Connie is on a salt free diet.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
I leave mine in when parked, and use it for gas and bags. I've got in the habbit of leaving it in the FSS position, so it's handy to get in the bags if needed when parked. Most of the time, it's in the FSS position. If I leave the bike somewhere shady, I'll lock the steering.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
But if you leave it in the sunshine you don't bother to lock the steering?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Brian

<snip>

If I leave the bike somewhere shady, I'll lock the steering.

Offline MIST

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Key stays in the ignition. Only removed when refueling. Main fob in my pocket. Back-up fob in my watch pocket.

Mike
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline TLOC

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
Yes, only to open the fuel tank, otherwise it stays put, no matter where I'm at. 3 yrs 3 months no problems...T