Author Topic: Lane sharing  (Read 11043 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Lane sharing
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
i've been known to reach over and fold um in.

+1
I makes her a couple of inches narrower on each side.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Keep in mind that Boomer lives in the UK where it is legal and normal to lane split and filter... IMHO it is completely different when the cagers expect the bikes to lane split and everyone, cagers and riders alike, are brought up with it from day one of driving/riding.

Sorry, I completely missed that too.  Here (USA) in many areas, it would be just INVITING death.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »
Obviously you know we can lane share here in California.
Its not as dangerous as one might think.
Just have to choose well, and keep your eyes scanning constantly.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stewart

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 07:00:59 PM »
Having driven a car is a lot of different countries I figure I have some experience on this subject. I can tell you that the UK is like Australia and other places, relatively sane and there are a lot more bikes, riders ride rain, hail or shine, all year round. And lane splitting in stand still traffic is normal. While the US is very different from east to west, I can tell you that drivers don't share the roads well and aren't used to bikes unless they ride themselves. I split lanes a few times in stopped traffic and for some reason even though its been very safe, ie: cars are not moving, drivers get very pissed for god knows what reason. Its like you crossed their right by birth to own the road.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Pred8tor

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Obviously you know we can lane share here in California.

I've wanted to ask this question ever since I last visited California and encountered this lane sharing.  What are the rules/laws regarding this?  I was rather surprised the first time I was passed (in my lane) while doing 85 mph heading west on I-40 in LA.
2011 Kawasaki C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
I've wanted to ask this question ever since I last visited California and encountered this lane sharing.  What are the rules/laws regarding this?  I was rather surprised the first time I was passed (in my lane) while doing 85 mph heading west on I-40 in LA.

I am curious too.  Although it is obvious that neither going 85 nor passing someone going 85 is going to be legal :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Flathead

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »

Pretty good info here... BUT it is not 'legal' to lane share in CA, it's just not "illegal" as it is in most states ;)
http://www.laneshare.org/ca.htm

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
Pretty good info here... BUT it is not 'legal' to lane share in CA, it's just not "illegal" as it is in most states ;)
http://www.laneshare.org/ca.htm

I'm not sure I agree. While there is not a CV on the books that outlines lane sharing, this is from the CA CHP .gov site.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html
Quote from: www.chp.ca.gov
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Flathead

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 10:59:41 PM »
I'm not sure I agree. While there is not a CV on the books that outlines lane sharing, this is from the CA CHP .gov site.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

No worries Brent, semantics I guess. Permissible to me has a different meaning than legal.

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 06:57:33 AM »
 I'm with ya , Boomer!

Arseholes,indeed !  You wanna see arseholes ?  Come pay us a visit in Sunny Florida !  You will see some shite
you won't believe !

I'm sure the "Florida Steves " can testify to that  8)
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:14 AM »
Come pay us a visit in Sunny Florida !  You will see some shite you won't believe !
Was in Tallahassee on several business trips in 97,98 and 99. Drove to Orlando, Jacksonville, St Augustine and Daytona as well as plenty of local driving. Central to North Florida drivers are not that bad. Slow, inattentive and rarely in full control of their cars but easy enough to outrun/avoid if yer awake and alert.
I can't comment on the southerners as I never got further south.

Now driving in Istanbul is scary.
Take those same inattentive, out-of-control drivers but feed them on Turkish coffee (Expresso but surved by the bucket) and it's like living in a demolition derby arena. Driving on the sidewalk to pass someone is common, most junctions are a free-for-all and road signs are just another hazard to be avoided. Me, I took a cab and spent most of the trip with my eyes closed!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »
Alas , much has changed in the last 10 years . Central Florida is no longer the slow paced ,peaceful place to ride that it once was.
  Everyone seems angry ,and  looking out for #1 ,at the expense of other drivers ,and especially riders ! Traffic congestion  has increased tremendously in my area -- Lakeland is now either West Orlando or East Tampa -not sure which. ;)

But the number of fools on the road seems to have quadrupled . My 17 year old son just started riding , and I tell him over and over again to assume cage drivers are out to kill him,and act accordingly ! 

As for South Florida, that can now be referred to as Havana North , with all the fiery tempers , congestion ,and insane driving as any other latin american city . Melting pot , my foot !

Arseholes !
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 08:53:07 AM »
Alas , much has changed in the last 10 years . Central Florida is no longer the slow paced ,peaceful place to ride that it once was.  Everyone seems angry ,and  looking out for #1 ,at the expense of other drivers ,and especially riders ! Traffic congestion  has increased tremendously in my area -- Lakeland is now either West Orlando or East Tampa -not sure which. ;)

But the number of fools on the road seems to have quadrupled . My 17 year old son just started riding , and I tell him over and over again to assume cage drivers are out to kill him,and act accordingly ! 

As for South Florida, that can now be referred to as Havana North , with all the fiery tempers , congestion ,and insane driving as any other latin american city . Melting pot , my foot !

Arseholes !
You got that right! My wife and I were almost swiped  off our Connie by a car who tried to lane share with us in Orlando! Even worse...we were in the right lane trying to stay away from these idiots who were racing each other in Sunday afternoon traffic.  :cannon: (wanted to use this smiley for once)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »
To answer the question of the legality of lane sharing in California, every other State EXCEPT California defines and limits how many vehicles can occupy the same lane space, generally one vehicle per lane.  Some States give exemptions for motorcycles (e.g. allowing no more than two to ride abreast) and give exemptions for lane filtering, which is riding past stopped traffic at an intersection.  Most States have specific exemptions for law enforcement motorcycles.

The CHP and DMV do post guidelines on lane sharing but they aren't regulatory.  The California Vehicle Code does not address it.  If an LEO thought that you were lane sharing unsafely, you would normally be cited for a CVC 22350 (violation of the basic speed law that says you cannot travel faster than conditions permit safely, regardless of the posted limit.)  If you were lane sharing in a grossly unsafe manner, you would potentially be subject to an unsafe driving violation (covered in several CVC's.)  You would of course still be subject to CVC 22349a (exceeding a posted maximum speed) like anyone else regardless of whether you were lane sharing or not.

The CVC has several unsafe passing provisions.  Passing as defined by the CVC is an overtaking move effected by changing lanes.  If you do not change lanes it isn't a pass by the CVC definition.  Theoretically, if you zig zagged between lanes you could be subject to unsafe passing.  In practice, unless you are clearly occupying an entire lane space when you pass, and you do it excessively, you aren't likely to be cited for that (there is California case law that sets precedent for allowing crossing of the lane marker while lane sharing.)

I personally think it's safer to lane share, in most instances, than it is to ride in the lane sandwiched by cars.  I've nearly been rear ended on the freeway when there wasn't enough space to split and get out of the way.  I also play by the rules in other States, since in addition to the legality consequences, drivers in other States don't expect lane sharing to occur.  It generally is expected in California and I find that unless you ride like an asshole, most drivers are tolerant and let you by.  There are always the occasional cock blockers that try to cut you off, but I find they are the exception and not the rule.

Talk to any CHP motor cop (I know several.) They expect motorcycles to lane share, and wonder why they don't when they see it.  I have absolutely no qualms lane sharing behind a motor cop, or next to a CHP cruiser.  If a motor cop is behind me, I'll normally get out of the way as a courtesy, and they usually wave in appreciation when I move over.

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »

Talk to any CHP motor cop (I know several.) They expect motorcycles to lane share, and wonder why they don't when they see it.  I have absolutely no qualms lane sharing behind a motor cop, or next to a CHP cruiser.  If a motor cop is behind me, I'll normally get out of the way as a courtesy, and they usually wave in appreciation when I move over.
+1
I couldn't imagine riding a MC and not lane sharing; I consider it a perk. Since I ride more than I drive my car, I find I have to resist the urge to lane share when in my car.

=Laserjock=

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
+1
I couldn't imagine riding a MC and not lane sharing; I consider it a perk. Since I ride more than I drive my car, I find I have to resist the urge to lane share when in my car.

Then you must live in Califorina :)

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
I know I'm resurrecting the dead here, but found this on my Ducati forum... Wanted to share.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Motorcycle-lane-splitting-rules-unveiled-4270272.php

And, the Occifer in the article rides a C14, to boot.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
Yup, one of the main guys that got that written into the CHP website is a regular on BARF the riders forum here in the bay area. Great guy. Its getting a lot or press here.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
Corbin will shave 6" off each lid... $393... ain't cheap.

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/c14door.shtml
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »