Author Topic: Rev limiter  (Read 14097 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Rev limiter
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
Captain Obvious strikes again! QCTM

FWIW, 3rd is good for 120mph and change, from what I've heard.

No comment on hitting the rev limiter while choosing off on Harleys, other than it was less embarrassing that you did it in 3rd than 1st.

No embarrassment at all. There wasn't anyone close enough to me to be able to tell what happened.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
I hit the limiter all the time. Especially during burnouts.

They put it there for a reason. To protect the engine from over-reving.
 ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
So, in the spirit of knowing our bikes so that we can better follow the law, we should probably know the speed we hit the limiter in each of the six gears. This seems like valuable data to me.
"No Officer Friendly that couldn't be. I was only in second gear."
Maybe an anonymous stickey from those who aren't afraid to look down in the higher gears.

As always: Professional driver- Closed course. ;)

Offline mike

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »
since were talking about rev limiters....How to Kill a Motorcycle

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
That poor Ninja :( 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »
I hope he caught fire as well...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline vortex2

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »
Love to be parked next to that @#$%^&*!

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I believe I've banged the limiter on the C14 a couple times.  I did it on my Multistrada a bunch of times, same on my KTM 560 SMR, and my wife's TTR 125.  Rev limiter ALL the time.  It's your friend. LIVE IT... know it.  LOOOOOOVE it.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
Wouldn't it be bad to have the engine revving that high? (Valve float?)
Motorcycles do it all the time.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be bad to have the engine revving that high? (Valve float?)

I don't know about the Connie, but I've ridden many inline fours that redline up in the 14,000 rpm range. Maybe that's relevent, maybe not.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Per garmin 665 GPS 113 MPH 3rd gear shutdown. Never before had a bike that pulled like they Budweiser Clydesdales with no hint of fading all the way to the cutoff. The beauty of variable valve timing....!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 04:36:34 AM »
Per garmin 665 GPS 113 MPH 3rd gear shutdown. Never before had a bike that pulled like they Budweiser Clydesdales with no hint of fading all the way to the cutoff. The beauty of variable valve timing....!

Good to know, thanks!

That's what surprised me about it. She was pulling like mad then, hey, where's my power?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 06:03:18 AM »
What was indicated on the speedo?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 07:12:41 AM »
2 things about the rev limiter:

1) sux there is no "shift light" to warn us we are approaching the rev limiter such as the Zx14

2)  you don't want to bang against the rev limter, its like putting on the brakes.  if you hit the rev limter while pushing the bike to keep up with your friends they'll pull away the second you hit it. not good.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »

1) sux there is no "shift light" to warn us we are approaching the rev limiter such as the Zx14

2)  you don't want to bang against the rev limter, its like putting on the brakes.  if you hit the rev limter while pushing the bike to keep up with your friends they'll pull away the second you hit it. not good.

The one time that I ticked up against it, I'd swear that I saw a light flash on the upper left of the instrument cluster, but I was shifting into sixth just as it happened and can't swear to it. I was really more focused on the road at that point with only an occasional glance at the speedo (no GPS to record the event).

And gPink, I too am interested to know the GPS vs. speedo numbers at that 3rd gear shutdown.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
The one time that I ticked up against it, I'd swear that I saw a light flash on the upper left of the instrument cluster, but I was shifting into sixth just as it happened and can't swear to it. I was really more focused on the road at that point with only an occasional glance at the speedo (no GPS to record the event).

And gPink, I too am interested to know the GPS vs. speedo numbers at that 3rd gear shutdown.

hmm maybe we have the shift light. I dunno unlike my sport bikes i shift sooner on this bike when in haul arse mode because it makes the power down lower where my ZX14 made it in the last few thousand RPM
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
I have it on good authority that a C14 will do 120mph & change in 3rd (actual speed). 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
I have it on good authority that a C14 will do 120mph & change in 3rd (actual speed).

yea, they're engineered long in the 1st few gears then tighten up there after.

my ZX14 did 99 in 1st.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »

Kaw built the ZX14 knowing that many would be drag-raced.  They didn't think that the C-14 would be used in like manner -- they don't know Americans -- do they?
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Hayeshfc

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
What was indicated on the speedo?

~120 mph (with GPS indicating 113)