Author Topic: cracked mirror  (Read 2823 times)

Offline okxd45

cracked mirror
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
So I was cleaning my bike yesterday and noticed that my right mirror assembly was cracked at the lower part of the base.  I haven't dropped it on the right side and can't figure out how it could have happened.  Is this something the warranty will cover or am I out of luck?  On a side note, the mirror is still rigid with no noticeable movement so far.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Conrad

Re: cracked mirror
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
I remember reading on the old site something about dealers installing the mirror assemblies incorrectly and causing parts to crack. I don't know if that's the case here or not.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
Yep, sounds like it.  The right mirror fits in an indention.  If the dealer isn't careful and tightens it down without looking where the mirror is placed it can crack the fairing.  Haven't seen one of those in a long time.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
 my right side mirror was installed wrong from dealer, but luckily there was no permanent damage to fairing. I dont think it would have hurt the mirror assembely  though.I did break a mirror in the same spot as OP when i  misjudged the width of the c14 and clipped a plastic traffic barrel.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
I know when i had my 600 mile service done, the left mirror was very loose.  The guy at the shop said he tightened them both down with locktite.  Maybe they were installed incorrectly, but getting them to admit and repair might be a challenge.  I'll give them a look see this weekend.  Thanks for the heads up!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline koval68

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »
Yep, sounds like it.  The right mirror fits in an indention.  If the dealer isn't careful and tightens it down without looking where the mirror is placed it can crack the fairing.  Haven't seen one of those in a long time.
I've seen several bikes like that at my local dealer. Mine was assembled under my supervision ;D, so they didn't have a chance to f**k it up.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline jonathan

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
He said the mirror housing was cracked, not the fairing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
Cracked mirror, cracked fairing.  It was most likely installed incorrectly.  Same result.  Something broke.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
I know when i had my 600 mile service done, the left mirror was very loose.  The guy at the shop said he tightened them both down with locktite.
I would have tightened with a wrench, but each to their own I guess.......j/k
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline okxd45

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
I would have tightened with a wrench, but each to their own I guess.......j/k

:P
Jeff