Author Topic: I'm Scared to lean now...  (Read 45507 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: I'm Scared to lean now...
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 05:53:39 AM »
Yes, if you drive, you probably will be involved in an accident. The vast majority of people have. The odds of getting hurt on a motorcycle are infinitely higher though. A person can decidedly reduce the odds of being involved in an accident but the only way to eliminate them are to live in a bubble. If motorcycles weren't dangerous, where would the thrill be?
It helps keep the riffraff out too.  8)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 08:22:11 AM »
Speed is only part of the formula when leaning. What about turn radius?

! No longer available

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
After reading about the group buy on rear end plugs, I do not think that is working out too well. Shiver me timbers.  :o

Brian

It helps keep the riffraff out too.  8)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
After reading about the group buy on rear end plugs, I do not think that is working out too well. Shiver me timbers.  :o

Brian
:rotflmao: We're probably ok unless someone starts a 'Try a Plug for Free' thread.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
Not on my watch, they won't!  :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
SMH
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »
Many years ago with my first bike (Honda Silver Wing) I went around a corner and slid out on powdered asphalt.  From then on I always try to keep an eye on the road surface.  I can't say that I'm overly cautious but I do pay attention to what's lying on the road.  I've had a few slips since then but no downs.  I like MCing too much to stop riding.  I think if the desire to ride is there then eventually you'll get your confidence back.  If you don't, it's time to try other things.  I believe what you are feeling is quite normal, though.

Did the same thing on a corner where there had been an accident and a large diesel spill. It was so large it covered the whole corner and I did not realize what was up until it was too late. I managed to almost recover but my feet fell off the pegs and I started a reinforcing oscillation in the forks and had to abandon the ship. It hurt, but I rode home -- looking in all ways like a real mess. So, yes, pay attention to that road surface.

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 01:42:06 AM »
That is like saying, If you are going to drive, you are going to crash.  I think what really mean to say is that if you ride beyond your limits or the bikes limits you are going to go down.  Many drop their bikes when starting out, which is why it is good to start when you are a teenager.

I dress for the crash, but will do everything in my power to avoid it.  Deer and Drunks are the two things that concern me.  Riding at speeds that allow me to stop within my sight distance, and have more lean angle left to adjust my line are important to me.  Too many tractors and old folk putting around to be a boy racer at 50 years old.

I'm way more concerned with idiots texting than drunks and forest rats - there are more of 'em!!  :o
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 02:08:14 AM »
I'm way more concerned with idiots texting than drunks and forest rats - there are more of 'em!!  :o

Me too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »

You might be surprised to know the number of impaired drivers on the road.  Be it from alcohol, reefer, prescription meds, etc.

At least the texter can drop the phone with a blast from the air horn.

I have zero tolerance for texters.  But out in the country where I live they are not as prevalent as drunks and deer.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
True. I live in the Bay Area, so there is a preponderance of texters and DUIs.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 11:59:12 PM »
True. I live in the Bay Area, so there is a preponderance of texters and DUIs.

Born & raised in the Bay Area (SF) I have noticed both an increase in traffic and in the percentage of inattentive drivers.
Been a professional driver with a commercial license for 30 years and have witnessed enough witlessness to accept it as ubiquitous.
Daily I see arbitrary lane changes, pointless speed-ups, unnecessary sudden stops, wild turns, 15 mph below the limit, all kinds of stupid sh#t.

I feel a bit safer in my work vehicle because of its size but when I ride my MC what concerns me the most is the rapidly unpredictable nature of other drivers.
Impatient inattentiveness, ignorance of basic traffic laws, texting + talking +taking selfies +watching movies, etc. on their cell phones, makes the crowded streets more perilous.

Add to that the generally crappy condition of (where I now live) Sonoma County roads and the mouth breathers who can't see me
because their trucks are the size of municipal buildings, and the thrill of riding gets somewhat dampened.

Riding sometimes feels more like an energy draining chore than a soul-stirring experience.
If, on top of all that, I went down on a leaned turn hard enough to total my bike, returning to two wheels would be a challenge.

- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 05:28:52 AM »
Born & raised in the Bay Area (SF) I have noticed both an increase in traffic and in the percentage of inattentive drivers.

No different in Hampton Roads.  I think the situation is pretty much across the whole country.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
No different in Hampton Roads.  I think the situation is pretty much across the whole country.

Ummm...yeah, bad roads and drivers! I was heading home yesterday doing my usual 70-80 mph and splitting lanes where necessary when, out of nowhere, some idiot speeds past me and then changes lanes right in front of me and slows down. I went to the right lane to go around him and he gave me the bird ::). I pulled back in front of him and slowed down some and he proceeded to speed around me, pull in front of me again and then came to a complete stop in front of me...ON THE 101 FREEWAY :o!! This guy had a SERIOUS hard-on for me and wouldn't leave me alone. He was actually trying to push me off the road from the side at one point. He then pulled in behind me and to my right side and was taking pictures of my bike...hope I looked okay 8)! At this point I was pissed and tried to get him to pull over so I could offer him an "attitude adjustment" but like all "tough guys" in their cars he wouldn't do it >:(. I have NO IDEA what I did to offend this guy but he definitely has some SERIOUS anger issues! I believe if I would have let him he would have taken me out...and I don't mean to dinner ;).

My feeling on the whole thing is that he was pissed that I was moving through traffic and decided he was going to let me know about it. He definitely hates motorcycles...kind of like the guy in the movie "The Jerk" who hated cans ;D!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
IMHO there were two motorists with attitude problems.  Hint you CANNOT win a battle with a cage driver, just make your self scarce RIGHT NOW.
08B 73.5K miles

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
IMHO there were two motorists with attitude problems.  Hint you CANNOT win a battle with a cage driver, just make your self scarce RIGHT NOW.

yep, you're correct Gary...I did have attitude as the incident progressed. I should have just left it alone but I couldn't. In hindsight it would have been better to move along and get away from the guy, something I know I should have done but I let him get under my skin and that was it for me! It's easy to "quarterback it" from the armchair but when you're in the middle of it sometimes emotions get the better of a person. 
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Yep easy from the armchair. Last week in a town near me. street race, bike and car, the losing car "caught up" and punted the biker, he's going to live, but will remember what happened every day, the rest of his life. 
Years ago wife and I on the way to supper on the Honda, some drunk cut us off, I got out of his way but ahead of him.  he kept "catching up" to us and tailgating.  I finally pulled off the road, he stopped and apologized for the original incident. Moron!  About 2 hours later a park ranger started following us, I may have been going a bit fast.  He got way too close so I pulled off again. When he got out I read HIM the riot act about tailgating a motorcycle before he got a word out.  He slunk off,having never checked my expired plate registered to a different bike.   ;D
Be careful out there!
08B 73.5K miles

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Yep easy from the armchair. Last week in a town near me. street race, bike and car, the losing car "caught up" and punted the biker, he's going to live, but will remember what happened every day, the rest of his life. 
Years ago wife and I on the way to supper on the Honda, some drunk cut us off, I got out of his way but ahead of him.  he kept "catching up" to us and tailgating.  I finally pulled off the road, he stopped and apologized for the original incident. Moron!  About 2 hours later a park ranger started following us, I may have been going a bit fast.  He got way too close so I pulled off again. When he got out I read HIM the riot act about tailgating a motorcycle before he got a word out.  He slunk off,having never checked my expired plate registered to a different bike.   ;D
Be careful out there!

I hear you...I thought about it all the way home! When he cut me off and gave me the finger I should have continued on as if nothing happened but emotions took over and it went downhill from there...I should have just let it go :-[! So, now I have to keep  my head on a swivel and make sure the idiot doesn't try and sneak up on me. I'm hoping he'll cool off and everything will be okay before I come across him again or hoping another incident takes his mind off of me (not wishing bad on anyone else). From the looks of it he hates bikers so we'll see what happens. The problem is he's in his car, hiding behind lots of metal with 4 wheels (he was in an Acura RDX...fast little car!)! It would be a lot different if it were a more "level playing field"!

I too have had people tailgate m on my bike. One was an old lady who was in a hurry. We got to a stop light and I tapped on her window and told her to back off and she gave me the finger too :o..and she was probably pushing 80! People out here love the middle finger ::).

Anyway, I have to learn to let it go from now on. It's a hard thing for me to do...it's my nature to stand up to idiots and let them know how stupid the really are but I am realizing that it does't do any good. Just have to get past this one!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
Wait a minute here.  You were splitting lanes at 70 mph?  I thought splitting lanes was reserved for traffic jams.  You are a braver man than I.  When I was out in California in June I filtered at the lights, but never split lanes.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »
Wait a minute here.  You were splitting lanes at 70 mph?  I thought splitting lanes was reserved for traffic jams.  You are a braver man than I.  When I was out in California in June I filtered at the lights, but never split lanes.

LOL...yes, there are times when I do it but I try not to make a habit of it. My best friend rides for the Sheriff's Dept. out here and is they're top instructor and he makes us look ultra-conservative when we ride. You should see that guy split lanes...CRAZY! Anyway, there are times when I do it but ONLY when things are getting congested in my area and I'm starting to feel "boxed in"...then I'll split but I ALWAYS make sure the person in front of me sees me (usually they'll move left or right a bit, depending on which lane they're in).

I move to the front at lights when I can because I don't EVER want to be taken out from behind! I'll even move up until there's no more room to move and sit between cars while waiting for the light to change...had some pretty interesting conversations while waiting! I've "nicked" one mirror when creeping up to the front but the guy in the car was really cool!

I ride between 70 and 80 mph and try to stay around 80...I want to make sure I'm hitting the gaps in front of me and leaving what's behind me, behind me! If it means splitting at those speeds then I do it. I'm sure that's why I made my "new friend" yesterday ::)!

What's funny (or scary) about that is there are guys PASSING me while I'm at those speeds and doing between cars! So I'm guessing the guy that got pissed at me decided I was his target for the  day even though there were others doing it faster than me...maybe I need to ride faster ;)!
Mike
Ojai, CA