Author Topic: (edited) Noise in front end, fork springs and valves replaced.  (Read 5016 times)

Offline JS_racer

(edited) Noise in front end, fork springs and valves replaced.
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »

Noise is not normal. Noise is at the end of travel, slight clunk heard and felt in lower fork legs.
need to determine if internal or external of the forks.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:31:17 AM by JS_racer »

Offline tbanzer

Re: can anyone help check for a noise, easy to do on centerstand.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
Loose steering head bearings?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
It must be really loose.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »
hmm 72 views, and no one could see if theirs made noise ??  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:03:03 AM »
I don't have to put mine on the center stand to know what's making that noise.  Check your bearings and make sure all your nuts and bolts are tight.  You've got something amiss in the front end.  It ain't supposed to do that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:11:40 AM »
ok, i have the socket for the stearing head bearings.  i'll tear that apart and check it.
feel like im wandering in the dark since i didnt do the work. but i have the service manual and the dvds.

just wasn't sure if something IN the forks could do it, or something by the axle could. the front end has been apart a few times in the last two months by a mechanic.

thanks again

wow, its 9 deg here today, guess i'll fire up the heater and get to the stem bearings.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:01:02 AM by JS_racer »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »
ok, i have the socket for the stearing head bearings.  i'll tear that apart and check it.
feel like im wandering in the dark since i didnt do the work. but i have the service manual and the dvds.

just wasn't sure if something IN the forks could do it, or something by the axle could. the front end has been apart a few times in the last two months by a mechanic.

thanks again

wow, its 9 deg here today, guess i'll fire up the heater and get to the stem bearings.

It could be anything in the front end..check everything.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
well, i can feel something right at the end of travel, slight up and down, in the fork legs(bottom part) lifting up on the tire more than say the forks themselves. stem feels ok, but since im checking, its easy and i have the machined socket.
(concern is that it could be internal in the forks, thinking if i mark my preload, then crank it all in and recheck the noise, or take it out and see if it gets worse,  ???) i'll check the axle, and all bolts everywhere that would or could have been off. at least that will eliminate stuff.

when the springs were installed, he cut my original nylon spacers, then made something else after the racetech springs were so long. not sure if i am seeing stickshion(?) when the springs unload. heck i don't know.

thanks again for any help, advise, guidance.
Joel

Offline JS_racer

Re: (edited) Noise in front end, fork springs and valves replaced.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
well, everything checked and re torqued with snap-on digital torque wrenches. stem nut checked and readjusted, no change.
guess i need to swing to the dealer to check another bike to see if it makes any sounds when the front tire is slightly lifted. if not then i guess off go the forks. (possibly internal)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
Left field here, how are the wheel bearings?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
....when the springs were installed, he cut my original nylon spacers, then made something else after the racetech springs were so long. not sure if i am seeing stickshion(?) when the springs unload. heck i don't know.

thanks again for any help, advise, guidance.
Joel

You cannot compare a stone cold factory set of forks, that haven't been dicked with, to the ones you have, which apparently HAVE BEEN messed with....and by a mechanic of unknown credibility (at least to us here).... you need to return the thing to the person that did the work.
man, I hate to appear rude, but there are some things that simply defy reality in us trying to "guess" what someone did wrong.

are you possibly mistaking the click/sounds/feel that the brake pads do when you move the front end back and forth....i.e. does it feel thge same when the brakes are fully on and you compress the forks?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
man of blues, i hear what your saying. i was trying to figure if internal or external of the forks, if that makes sense.  ;)

nah, i can get it to make noise by putting it up on the center stand then loading the luggage rack till the front is unloaded, seems at that point it makes noise. i can also center stand it, jack it to hang the front, then slightly lift up on the tire and feel a tic of something in the forks ??  also same with the brakes on and not.

wheel bearings good, tight, no movement felt. clean and light grease on them. no rust or sand or anything under the dust seal of the bearing.

was trying to eliminate things here, super sorry if i sounded rude, had no intention to. spent over $1200 for a tune and this stuff, and now there is noise. Mechanic is 20+ years, "factory trained"  ::)  entire thing has been a mess this time with him.

thanks for the time guys

Offline texrider

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
Sometimes I get a little clacking from the front brake pads sliding in the caliper brackets. Just a thought.

So, if the same tech did all the work, how do you feel about the valve adjustment, ect.?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
Tex, no concern about the other services at all. He is very through and meticulous. I can see how racetech jammed him and us up that started the fork issues. (Wrong weight, wrong length)
He has had my bike torn apart twice, and was super though, all pivots checked, and lubed in the suspension. Tune, tweaks, ran and runs great.  :)

Joel

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
Does it have an aftermarket horn or something else mounted under the light that the fender is hitting?

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
  Are the brakes factory or aftermarket like EBC?   What type of preload do you have the front forks set at?  Are both sides preload even?
With bike on center stand take a thin flat blade screwdriver and move the front pads away from the rotors and try to duplicate the noise again (of course don't touch the brake lever).  If preload is set to less than 14 MM try increasing it to set if noise is eliminated.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.