Author Topic: Clean stock air filter  (Read 2943 times)

Offline medicevans

Clean stock air filter
« on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
How do I clean the stock air filter? K&N is in the future for next year, but my stocker needs cleaned for now.

Offline anycleavers

Re: Clean stock air filter
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
I pulled mine out to clean it, it was falling apart and filthy, just decided to put a new one in. It was something like $26 from BikeBandit, shipped
"Always take the long way home."

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »
Manual calls for cleaning it by soaking in mineral spirits.  Many here (myself included) use a spray degreaser like Simple Green or one of the citrus brands, and rinse with water.

Once it's clean and dry, don't over-oil it.

Also, there's no performance gain with the K&N... so no rush on replacing the stocker if it's in good shape.  When I need to replace mine, it'll be with a K & N, but as long as mine's in good shape, I won't be replacing it.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Warm soapy water always worked on my filters (untill I went to K&N).
I used my air comp to air dry.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline medicevans

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
Found some simple green in the garage and got it all cleaned up. Looks brand new now.  Definetely no need cor a new one.  Put oil on a rag and dabbed it against the sides of the filter. Is that the right way to do it?  I've never ran a foam filter before.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:56:48 AM »
Put oil on a rag and dabbed it against the sides of the filter. Is that the right way to do it?

Yes, exactly how the manual says to do it.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:57:32 AM »
Found some simple green in the garage and got it all cleaned up. Looks brand new now.  Definetely no need cor a new one.  Put oil on a rag and dabbed it against the sides of the filter. Is that the right way to do it?  I've never ran a foam filter before.
Yes just dabbing the oil on the filter will work.  Even though you do not have a K&N filter; they do sell the red spray oil.  It is very handy to have, it gives a much more uniform coating of oil.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."