Author Topic: Motorcycle Lifts?  (Read 7522 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Motorcycle Lifts?
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Motorcycle Lifts?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
Not really the exaust is in the way.  Great lifts though, I use mine for my pick up now that I don't have a cruiser.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
Go to Harbor Freight and get the real motorcycle lift. I got mine several years ago for $299 with coupon and its great.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline oldsmoboat

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »
those are both accidents waiting to happen.....
be real
you need access to both sides of the bike simultaniously for most repairs....those don't work, and Conni don't like the lift points either....
this is the one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-91764.html

they go on sale all the time....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:07:49 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
I have used that one, it's great!
...and a good time was had by all.

Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
those are both accidents waiting to happen.....
be real
you need access to both sides of the bike simultaniously for most repairs....those don't work, and Conni don't like the lift points either....
this is the one...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-91764.html

they go on sale all the time....

+1

Tried the smaller unit's. And I agree with MOB. I also use the HF lift. And agree with his recommendation!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
I'm still young enough (53) to still crawl on the garage floor :rotflmao:  The center stand and a front stand work wonders.  :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
A guy I work with bought one of those Harbor Freight ones to work on his Excelsior. His piece of advice was to get a better clamp for the front wheel. Like one of the ones you buy to haul motorcycles on a trailer that cam over. Reason being, He had his Super X fall over even with the front wheel clamped in.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
A guy I work with bought one of those Harbor Freight ones to work on his Excelsior. His piece of advice was to get a better clamp for the front wheel. Like one of the ones you buy to haul motorcycles on a trailer that cam over. Reason being, He had his Super X fall over even with the front wheel clamped in.

NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a motorcycle lift without using motorcycle tie down straps on the bike. The wheel clamps are not designed to keep a bike from falling. The HF lift comes with two U bolts for tiedown use. I installed two extra eye bolts to use
four tie downs when doing serious bike work. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a motorcycle lift without using motorcycle tie down straps on the bike. The wheel clamps are not designed to keep a bike from falling. The HF lift comes with two U bolts for tiedown use. I installed two extra eye bolts to use
four tie downs when doing serious bike work.

Absolutely.... They are only designed to provide enough support to steady the bike while you get your straps in place. We never put bikes on the platforms without straps in the shop I worked in during the 80's....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

;Dthat makes it pretty difficult to do front wheel service.....just saying.... the clamp that comes on the HF unit ain't really bad, you need to play around a bit with someones assistance though first time, to get the clamp fore/aft location to where it works for you best, so when you get the bike rocked back on the centerstand, it's located in the right spot...pretty much you need to start with the front tire hitting that black angled piece at the end to start...I place a 1 x 6 x 14 lg. on each side of the tire to get a better clamp bite (I worry about the rims and brakes too much...), but as everyone says "Tie Down Straps" all the time.

I'm still young enough (53) to still crawl on the garage floor :rotflmao:  The center stand and a front stand work wonders.  :thumbs:

yeah I hear ya..... I'm 56....I started using this stand 2 years ago (even though i've had it for 5 years....) ......you're time is almost at hand..... ;)

funny part is, once you work on a bike on one of these, you will say "WTF was wrong with me?!!!!"  ;D ;D

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..