Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28526 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
Over  here you either have a licence to sell alcohol or you don't. As simple as that, although actually getting the correct licence isn't necessarily simple ;)

Oh, getting the license here isn't necessary simple either, but it varies wildly.

But there is some stupid magic "line" between "soft" and "hard" alcohol, as if being 16% is not dangerous and yet 17% needs strict government controls.

Also, I have to correct my earlier posting- it seems that most States do NOT control liquor with ABC stores anymore (mostly State run, anti-capitalist monopolies).  They have been slowly going away.  Now there are just 17 such States left.  The more I researched it, the more complicated it all seems.

http://www.nabca.org/control-state-directory-and-info
https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/09/liquor_virginia
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2018, 02:17:03 AM »
Oh, getting the license here isn't necessary simple either, but it varies wildly.

But there is some stupid magic "line" between "soft" and "hard" alcohol, as if being 16% is not dangerous and yet 17% needs strict government controls.

Also, I have to correct my earlier posting- it seems that most States do NOT control liquor with ABC stores anymore (mostly State run, anti-capitalist monopolies).  They have been slowly going away.  Now there are just 17 such States left.  The more I researched it, the more complicated it all seems.

http://www.nabca.org/control-state-directory-and-info
https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2010/09/liquor_virginia

:)

I would imagine the 16% was to keep things like sherry  out of the "hard" status  mind you that said a 1% ABV Sherry is at the low end of strength for Sherry.

As you say, seems a bit daft. If you're going to have a cut off then the Swedes probably have it right at 3.5% as that's practically a soft drink ;)

There's a thought, can you guys buy beer online and have it delivered ?

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2018, 03:36:20 AM »
"soda" or "soft drink" here

Depends where you live in the States and even within a state.  Where I grew up in southern Va (about 100 or miles from you, Max), we just called them 'drinks'.   If I wanted a Coke, I'd go to the 'drink' box and get one.

In VA, liquor is regulated by the State and you have to buy it in ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) stores.  You can buy wine and beer in grocery stores and mom and pop shops.  In Maryland across the border from me.   You buy liquor, beer, and wine in private stores.  You can't buy wine and beer in grocery stores (from what I remember).

I do remember going to school in NJ back in the 70's and went hog wild when I discovered bars on every corner.  You only see that in the larger cities in most of the state (VA). 

Liquor laws such as where you can drink can vary widely in the state and depend on what county you live in.   Some counties are 'dry' in that I don't think they sell it at all.

Also remember moving to SC in 1977 and went to a Pizza Hut and wanted to order a beer and couldn't do it.....Sunday beer and alcohol sales were prohibited.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2018, 04:09:04 AM »

Also remember moving to SC in 1977 and went to a Pizza Hut and wanted to order a beer and couldn't do it.....Sunday beer and alcohol sales were prohibited.

It was as recently as 2003 that the possibility of dry" Sundays in Wales became a thing of the past

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3086557.stm
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »

Depends where you live in the States and even within a state.

I suppose I should have specified "here" as various in VA (central, SE, N; don't know much about W, SW)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2018, 07:19:10 AM »
It varies too wildly to give any kind of overall view on how alcohol is sold in the various states and even counties in the US. When we travel around to different places, we have to ask locals how / where they buy alcohol and define the type (again, it varies all over the place but many places will sell beer and wine in 'regular' food stores but spirits only in liquor stores).

To the best of my knowledge, no, we cannot mail- order any alcoholic beverages, anywhere. Alcohol is somewhat tightly regulated here in the US and being able to mail- order it would lose all control over distribution.

Brian

staying on the drinks front, dedicated shops for buying booze (ass opposed to picking up from a general supermarket/corner shop/convenience store

"Liquor Store" vs "Off Licence"

The word "off-licence" comes from the way premises are licensed to sell alcohol over here.

A bar/restaurant/pub would typically have a licence to sell alcohol either fro consumption "on" the premises or in some cases "on" or "off" the premises.

By an elegant extension of that any place that sells alcohol for consumption "off" the premises is an "off licence"

Technically the supermarkets etc have the same licence however an "offy" is usually reserved for referring to a smaller corner shop type place that sell predominantly alcohol , although it may also sell other goods as well.

As a complete contrast I do find the Swedish "Systembolaget " system interesting. When I was over there back in the 90's if you wanted to buy alcohol (over 3.5% by volume) to consume at home you had to go to one of these state run shops, take a ticket, order your booze & pick it up from a window. They were also only open very restricted hours although I believe that has changed slightly recently.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2018, 07:25:34 AM »
What we call that stuff is very regional: here, it is soda. Other places, it is pop and yet other places it is soda pop. The way around all of that is to order a Coke.... :-)

What varies much more is that stuff that is ice cream, milk and syrup all agitated into a creamy liquid. Sometimes called a shake but also called a 'frappe', a 'cabinet' and several other, almost nonsensical names.

Now that I think about it, our regional differences in the names of very common things is probably more diverse than the difference between the US and UK. For example, where I live, we call a 'water fountain' or 'drinking fountain' a 'bubbler'. No [non- local] knows what in the hell that means.

Brian

In an effort to come back from the prestidigital dexterity....

soft drinks such as the Colas etc.

As a generic term we call them "pop" rather than "soda" a;though we do have a variety/flavour  of "pop" that is called "american cream soda"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2018, 07:38:16 AM »
Seems about right as I couldn't find any of these on Amazon USA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_4?url=search-alias%3Dalcohol&field-keywords=jack+daniels&sprefix=jaxk%2Caps%2C143&crid=3B7ERNNU1I5AC

It varies too wildly to give any kind of overall view on how alcohol is sold in the various states and even To the best of my knowledge, no, we cannot mail- order any alcoholic beverages, anywhere. Alcohol is somewhat tightly regulated here in the US and being able to mail- order it would lose all control over distribution.

Brian
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
What we call that stuff is very regional: here, it is soda. Other places, it is pop and yet other places it is soda pop. The way around all of that is to order a Coke.... :-)

What varies much more is that stuff that is ice cream, milk and syrup all agitated into a creamy liquid. Sometimes called a shake but also called a 'frappe', a 'cabinet' and several other, almost nonsensical names.

Now that I think about it, our regional differences in the names of very common things is probably more diverse than the difference between the US and UK. For example, where I live, we call a 'water fountain' or 'drinking fountain' a 'bubbler'. No [non- local] knows what in the hell that means.

Hmmm sounds like the makings of a new thread?

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
Gotta love regional differences.

Take something as simple as this

Depending on where you are in the UK it could be a bun, bap,teacake,breadcake,muffin,stottie, batch,cob or roll (and I may have missed out some)

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
Looks like a bun to me..... ?

Brian

Gotta love regional differences.

Take something as simple as this

Depending on where you are in the UK it could be a bun, bap,teacake,breadcake,muffin,stottie, batch,cob or roll (and I may have missed out some)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »
:)

Because its soft I would call it a bap whereas if it was crusty I would call it a cob however most people in the part of the world I live would call it a barm while my GF would call it a breadcake

Brian
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »
I don't care what you call it, looks like they would make for some tasty sliders  :P

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »
I don't care what you call it, looks like they would make for some tasty sliders  :P
knee slider I presume :)
--

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »

I hear that they can also be used for that (knee pucks). I just never could determine what the correct attachment adhesive would be.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:06:47 PM by fartymarty »

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »
I hear that they can also be used for that (knee pucks). I just never could determine what the correct attachment adhesive would be.

marmite
--

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »

Ok, but would prefer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »
You had to say it, didn't you? Marmite. Evil, awful stuff. Not as bad as Vegemite but a close second.

Why can't you people just clean out your brewing tanks when you are done making beer? Why do you have to scrap out that, that..... "stuff" and sell it?

Brian

marmite

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:37 PM »

Yep, because it is larger and cut, it is a bun.  Smaller and uncut, it would just be a roll :)

Oh, and your water fountain thing- I have never heard the term "bubbler" before.  So yeah, if you said that to me I wouldn't know what you were talking about :)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
I love the stuff

Bit of toast, butter, marmite then add some strong cheddar cheese & pop back under the grill to melt the cheese, nom nom nom
You had to say it, didn't you? Marmite. Evil, awful stuff. Not as bad as Vegemite but a close second.

Why can't you people just clean out your brewing tanks when you are done making beer? Why do you have to scrap out that, that..... "stuff" and sell it?

Brian
--