Author Topic: Emulator Mod  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Emulator Mod
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
I got everything back home. Heres a copy of pre-load instructions, go to pre-load calculations, yeah right, I get the free length, for me its 6", someone want to tell me how to get set length? Would this be the 6" minus the length of the emulators, which vanjeff states is about 3/4"?

http://racetech.com/download/RelaxedPreloadWorksheet.xls

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Kawasaki/ZG1000%20Concours/1994-2006
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Oldspeed

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 08:27:36 AM »
Strawboss..considering the mileage...could be a worn bushings/fork leg ...causing too much fork stiction........lifetime of bushings...about 20K.
Fork aliignment ? Have you  gone through the proceedure of loosening/pumping/tighening ?
Oil height with forks fully compressed...6 in. from top ??
 Fork brace ?   Make shure its not causing a bind..shim if neccesary.

Keep in mind the weight on the front end can change as much as 40 lbs. between fill ups!!!!

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
I got everything back home. Heres a copy of pre-load instructions, go to pre-load calculations, yeah right, I get the free length, for me its 6", someone want to tell me how to get set length? Would this be the 6" minus the length of the emulators, which vanjeff states is about 3/4"?

Ok I think I see the confusion. They are talking about the top out springs. You don't need to do anything with them. They are little short springs on the dampener rod. Try this for me. Turn the preload adjusters on top of each fork cap all the way out. You should see more lines showing. Does that make a difference in letting the forks sag when you sit on it? If so then the spacers are too long and need to be shortened. Does this make sense? Mark

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 07:13:03 AM »
 Strawboss, a couple things come to mind. 1) if you have a fork brace, and it's not METICULOUSLY shimmed, it will cause stiction, and the front end won't sag or even function properly.  2) if you don't have at least 1" constant preload on the for spring, the emulator will unseat from the damping rod and "thunk" when it's slammed back down. I had the same issue when I very first installed mine, so I called RT and they told me the 1" rule. Nothing about it in their instructions though - Steve

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Just say the heck with it and start afresh.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8735.0
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
Fork brace, yes. OK, I drilled another hole in the plate of the emulator, better compression, still jarring rebound on sharper bumps and heave here. I can live with it. I added 5 turns of factory pre-load, when I sit on it now, I get about 1/2 inch of sag using the zip tie on top of the female slider unit, about 3/4 inch all the way out. I think yes there is stiction, not even going to think about how to shim. Now, here's the thing again. RT says 150mm or 6 inches from top, Kawasaki says 171mm or 6 3/4 inches. I have it at 171mm, 6 inch spacer.

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Are you saying you turned the preload adjusters further in by 5 turns? Or did you turn them out? I'm confused. If you added 5 more turns of preload that won't make the front sag more. Mark

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Strawboss, I you don't get the forkbrace right , w/o stiction, you're literally wasting your time trying to set up the front end. The adjustments are all compromised by the stiction, and ultimately you'll waste the fork seals and bushings. BTW, setting the oil height is only to use the remaining compressible air as a spring for the front end. the less air (more oil), the higher/ quicker the pressure rises upon compression. HTH, Steve

enim57

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
Strawboss,
That sag sounds too little, for racing it is usually around 25mm (1") and for street 30-32mm (1 1/4"). Refer Sportrider article below:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_set_your_static_sag/index.html

If it's any help my '86 has 35mm preload (=175mm spacer length) and 150mm oil level fom top of fork fully compressed. Preload and oil level are Racetech recommendations.

Fork tubes should be flush with top of handlebar mounts.

Regards, Russell

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 05:01:48 AM »
strawboss, you are setting the fork oil level with the springs out, forks compressed, correct? Steve

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »
Once again
2001, 68,000 miles
.95's
blue springs
emulators with 2 turns of pre-load from just touching washers on spring
fork brace- one extra hole drilled in pop off plate
171mm of 15 wt oil measured 5 times after pumping forks a few times- forks compressed, no springs, no emulators-empty
5 turns of factory pre-load from all the way out
6 inch PVC spacer-with washers on each side of the spacer
damper rods drilled as per RT instructions
-The fork tubes are not flush with the top of the clamps as some purchase is needed for the Genmar risers I have-so how much should be above the tops of the fork tubes?
-How long a spacer should I have?
I was quite happy with the stock set-up- it was not until I started modifiying the front end with all the "needed" updates that I started having problems.
-The "sag" I'm measuring is when I tie a zip tie to the fork tube and rest it on the rubber boot of the female sliding unit with the bike on the side stand-I then sit on it and put the bike back on the side stand and measure.
My next plan is taking off the fork brace tomorrow
BTW, if you go to RT's site and calculate the spring weights, mine come out at .96, they say to use the closest number, for me .95's. 

Offline Oldspeed

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
 Anyone modify the return side of the Emulator?

Well for those who have thought of this,,, I've restricted the lower valve of each Emulator with three 9/64 pieces of copper, this amount of restriction is a slightly noticable positive result.
Sat. I'll  add two more. The addition of these may be too much,,,the three are just fine !!!

Oldspeed 

enim57

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »
Srawboss,
The way you are measuring sag is not correct, refer Racetech instructions or the Sportrider link I posted. When the bike is on the sidestand there is weight on the springs, the starting point for measuring sag is with no weight on springs. When putting bike back on side stand there is no gaurantee it returns to exactly the same position. You will need someone to help you.

When you know your actual sag preload and spacer length can be calculated.

Oil level should be measured with emulators fitted but springs not in.

Regards, Russell