Author Topic: Electronic Cruise Control on C-10?  (Read 9212 times)

Offline squad404

Electronic Cruise Control on C-10?
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
I want to put an Electronic Cruise Control on my 1986 C-10.  I found this unit http://www.mccruise.com/product.php?productid=73&cat=469&page=1 but it's about 1000.00 with shipping from Australia

I really don't want to pay that much.  I have the throttlemeister (sp) but I don't care for it as I am always adjusting to stay in formation with my friends who have cruise on their bike.

Anyone have any information on an electronic cruise system ofr my bike?

Thanks in advance!

Frank
1986, 30K miles.  Bought from a guy who thought fluid changes only applied to cars

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Electronic Cruise Control on C-10?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
I don't have one but this looks like it's for the C10

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
but it's about 1000.00 with shipping from Australia
:yikes:

Stop by my place, I'll install the one that George linked to for $500.   ;D

Just kidding.  (You're no where near me, but if you were, I would help you install it)  I have the one that George linked to from Murph's Kits.  Well worth it, and really easy to install.  Add the vacuum canister (and relay if you have, or might install LED brake lights) and the Bergman Engineering Bracket and you'll have a nice, professional looking installation when you're done.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline squad404

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
George and Outback,

Geez, thanks guys!  I really appreciate your time and input!  If I ship you my bike with you do it for 300.00 Outback???  ;D

I have to say one thing about this site;  I owned a BMW K1200LT prior to my C-10.  I joined an LT blog site like this.  These folks were complete @#sh*^&#'s!  I filed my last blog years ago telling them to be careful riding with there noses in the air; they may get thrown from their bikes when their nostrils fill up.

Much nicer and down to earth folks here.

Outback, what's the badge?  Mpls PD Sgt. here.

Take care guys and ride safe.

Frank
1986, 30K miles.  Bought from a guy who thought fluid changes only applied to cars

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Outback, what's the badge?  Mpls PD Sgt. here.
NYS Corrections Officer.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »
Hey Frank, post up a cruise control install tech session, kick for some Q and/or burgers and/or brats and maybe some of Schells or Lake Superior Brewery's finest. There are folks up there that will crawl out of the woodwork for free food and beer  help out, and some even know WTH they are doing. ;) :rotflmao:

BTW, I usta live in Welch Township, then Hastings up there in my previous life of having to deal with

Now the only blizzards we have to deal with are

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline squad404

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
When I begin my install, I will pain stakingly (is that suppossed to be one word?) document and photo the process, less the mistakes.

We actually had snow flakes this morning  >:(

Thank God for heated riding gear!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
When I begin my install, I will pain stakingly (is that suppossed to be one word?) document and photo the process, less the mistakes.

We actually had snow flakes this morning  >:(

Thank God for heated riding gear!

You may want to sniff around on Murphs' site for a while, some good write ups and info there.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=422

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/audiovox/index.htm

You still have all of May yet to get through for the snow department, including fishing opener.

10/4 on the heated gear. I use mine once or twice per year for long-ish rides on chilly days, you know, below 70* :rotflmao:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline squad404

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
He we go...

Wish me luck when it arrives.

Murphs' Kits
Date Ordered: Wednesday 02 May, 2012
Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x CCS100 Cruise Control (MU-174) = $187.00
        CCS100 Kits CCS100 with Vacuum Canister
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $187.00
Total: $187.00

Delivery Address

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
You'll do just fine.  Just make sure to edit out the pics of you cursing and throwing tools while you are trying to attach the pull chain to the carb linkage.  :banghead:  :banghead:
Its a easy install, worth every cent.  I love mine.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline squad404

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Outback doesn't know it yet, but I shipped my bike to him via freight service and I put in his address for the cruise so he can install it. 

Shhhh, don't tell him, let it be a surprize.  I deleted signature confirmation, so they'll just drop it in his front yard.

Offline squad404

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
 :)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
Outback doesn't know it yet, but I shipped my bike to him via freight service and I put in his address for the cruise so he can install it. 

Shhhh, don't tell him, let it be a surprize.  I deleted signature confirmation, so they'll just drop it in his front yard.
I'll even ride it back to your place as long as you pay for food, fuel, motel, and my return flight.   ;D

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
When you get to the point in the install where it talks about the sensitivity setting, I believe it recommends the medium setting.

I found setting it at the setting for hi-performance applications worked better for me, it came on smother without jumping up first.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline squad404

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 03:21:44 AM »
Hello Gents,

Well I waited in anticipation for FedEx to arrive with my cruise.  Arrived at noon and I began my endeavor.

I was impressed with Murph's speed in shipping.  :)

Snarf, dude; you were so right!  Putting that loop cable on was a complete nightmare.  Had to run to the store and get a 4 foot needle nose.  I read in the destructions that one may have to open up the linkage mount area with a screw driver if the two cables bind.  Keeping this in mind, I finally went ghetto on it and opened it up/spread it apart.  Put the loop cable on the left side of the throttle cable barrel.  Squeezed it together and it worked...sort of.  :o

So as I'm checking for any binding as I wrench the throttle, I hear a snap.  I broke my throttle.  The barrel on the throttle end broke the plastic retainer thing-a-ma-giggy.

So on to the net I go and 25.00 or so later (and $16 shipping WTF!) I will have a "GRIP-ASSY,THROTTLE" here in about two weeks.  I went double ghetto and did a temp repair so I can still ride.

Oh, did I mention that I dropped one of the two "bead cable" connectors; and haven't seen it since.  Thus, I had to add a bracket to the bracket that holds the cruise cable in place to move it further back, thus no bead cable needed.

I then took on the wiring which was a breeze except I should have put the 10 pin connecter on the canister prior to mounting it to my bike.  So off it came, then back on. :-[

As I am putting my bike back together, I can hear the rumble of thunder to the west.  So I hurry.  I realty want to test it.  Right as I put my seat on the sirens sound with a Sever T-Storm Warning and it starts to pour.

Outback, I really should have shipped you my bike!!!

So here I sit waiting for the rain to stop and it's 4am.

FYI, I ordered the "GRIP-ASSY,THROTTLE" from babbittsonline.com.  I already sent them a message telling them they're nuts to charge that much for shipping.  I sell online too and shipping should be about $5.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.  My next message will hopefully be one filled with joy after testing out the cruise.

The pic?  I like zip-ties.  I named my bike porcupine. 

Best regards, Frank

P.S.  In no way did alcohol have anything to do with my mistakes

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »
Oh, did I mention that I dropped one of the two "bead cable" connectors; and haven't seen it since.  Thus, I had to add a bracket to the bracket that holds the cruise cable in place to move it further back, thus no bead cable needed.
The bead cable is fairly important as it allows you to increase the throttle if necessary without disengaging the cruise control.  Without it, the cables on the cruise control may interfere with throttle operation.

Offline squad404

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:41:22 AM »
I see your point.  It would allow for slack on the cruise cable when accelerating manually.

Swell....

I'll call Murph's Monday and see if they have something laying around.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 07:49:33 AM »
Yep, I agree with Outback. When I am forced to ride ina group I set my cruise a little low so I can maintain the yoyo and still relax my hand now and then. Your efforts will be rewarded and you will be spoiled by cruise. Good luck.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline squad404

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
Draining the tank again *&%&((^$.

Cruise works but Bike is running on 3 cylinders .. need to find out what I knocked loose.  Also I hooked up to the rear brake wire but the cruise turns off when I signal a lane change, WTF.

Any suggestions.  Out to the garage I go....

Offline squad404

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
Knocked a plug wire loose, got that fixed.  Gunna try brake wire off pront brake switch...see what happenes