Author Topic: Stripped Phillips Head on Clutch Reservoir  (Read 6890 times)

Offline RapidRoy

Stripped Phillips Head on Clutch Reservoir
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
I had some time to kill tonight so I thought I'd do a little preventive maint. and change the fluid out in the clutch system. One of the phillips head screws holding the cover on the reservoir is stuck tight and mostly stripped.  >:( Not sure what to do to get it out, so thought I'd ask before I completely destroy things and have to get a new reservoir and cover. Any ideas on how to break the thing loose? As tight as it is, I doubt I'll be able to break it loose without completely destroying it. Hoping for a magic bullet here.
'99 C-10

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Re: Stripped Phillips Head on Clutch Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:29 AM »
Whachyooneed - is a manual Impact Driver and a 2lb hammer.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline cmoore

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »
Those screws are cheap. I had the same thing happen to me. I very carefully drilled out the stripped screw. I ended up having to replace the cap though due to the damage I did. After I got all the screws off I replaced them with some allen head screws I found at Lowes.  I'm sure others have a more surgically precise way to do this. Good luck.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »
Second on the impact driver suggestion, the manual kind that you bash on the end with a hammer, not the air gun kind. This has always worked for me.

Now, not speaking from experience here. If you can drill off the head of the screw, and remove the cover, the screw will no longer be under tension. If you're lucky, the remaining threaded portion should come out easily with vice-grips.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
+1 on drilling the head. If you are careful and stop just sort of contacting the cover, the cover can be lifted off, either breaking off or "collapsing" and sliding past the little bit of remiaing screw head and you won't damage the cover.  It should be easily unscrewed with pliers or vice grips.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »
When this happened to my boy's Ninja, I carefully drilled the heads.  Upon removal there is enough of a stub left that you can grab it with a pair of pliers and it removes easily.  Once the tapered section is off there is much less friction holding it in place also.  If done carefully no damage is done to the cover.   Remember all you need  is a drill bit just larger than the screw stud, not the entire head.

Offline BrianM

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »
You mean the screws made of Chocolate?  Those are soft on all motorcycles.

Prevent if possible, using a high quality screwdriver does wonders.  People swear by the JIS #2 (that'd be Japanese Industrial Standard), but I've been using my Snap-On #2 successfully for 11 years.  Others have had good luck with your standard drywall bit.  Then there's technique, torque is cumulative, so don't put a Ton of force on the screw and have it strip (which is the point behind an impact, a sharp increase of torque), but hold it tight for long enough and it Will break free. 

After it starts to strip, that's the time to try an impact (sounds like you're here now) with the properly fitting bit. 

And once it's so far gone that there's nothing left to hold onto, then you can try your choice of EZ-outs, screw extractors, left handed drill bits or just a normal drill bit.  When choosing a drill bit, pick one that's the same size, or slightly smaller, than the Shaft of the screw.  All you want to do is drill off the head, the threads will unscrew by finger once the tension is released.  No reason to ruin the cover or MC, just go slow.  I'd had to do this probably a hundred times in the last decade (mechanic), enough that I bought a box of 500 replacement stainless allen screws just to always have on hand. 

Good luck, it's annoying but not hard.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
any of you guys ever hear of a DREMEL TOOL?????
don't drill the screw, it's a p.i.t.a., and doesn't help if you hose it up.

chuck up one of the small abrasive cutoff tools in the Dremel, and cut a slot in the screw head, it will work perfectly, and you can use a flat blade screwdriver, while tapping with a hammer, to remove the screw.... replace with one of murph's allen jobbers...... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »
I drilled a hole with a drill bit that was slightly larger than the screw shank.
Head of the screw popped off, I removed the cover and was able to unscrew the threaded portion of the screw easily...
Worked great.
Didn't think about cutting a slot. But I can see where that would work too...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice! My favorite, "You mean the ones made of chocolate." Sounds like I'm not as big a dunce as I thought. I'll try the impact driver first, then the dremel tool, then give the drill method a shot if that doesn't work.

Thanks again.
'99 C-10

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Just echoing the comments above.

I stripped one of mine on the brake reservoir.  Drilled off the head with a slightly oversized bit (just barely wider than the screw).  Head came off threaded on the drill bit.  Removed brake reservoir cover, unthreaded the remaining part of the screw with my fingers (no tension).

Replaced said phillips head screws with similarly sized allen/hex screws, to help avoid that stripping problem in the future.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Cavediver

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
If you have a bike you should have a hand impact. when you strike it, it drives in deeper and twists. The best tool I ever bought from Snap On.

Jack

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
. . . then the dremel tool

It's a counter-sunk screw. I doubt you'll be able to cut a slot in the screw without boogering the cover.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »
It's a counter-sunk screw. I doubt you'll be able to cut a slot in the screw without boogering the cover.

+1 When done, I replaced mine with stainless screws.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline dvitous

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
+1.... same thing happened to me.  Ironically (and lucky for me), it was when I was removing it to replace it with the hex screws that came with the Murphs screw kit.

Drilled the center, and used a small easy-out, and it came...well... out easy  :o
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline bigpigtx

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-remover-and-quick-change-bit-set-95530.html

You need one of these.  Saved my butt more times than I can count. 

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
I use a cordless drill/driver (impact) for these things. It doesn't need a hammer and it doesn't have the strength to strip out the head. At least my cheap Ryobi doesn't. Works wonders for me.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »
Same happened to my A5 when I had it  :'( but something I found out by my mistake......

You say "Phillips" but did you actually use a Phillips driver or is this just a generic term you guys use?

OTP, and I guess you may have the same, we have Phillips screws and "Pozi" screws. These heads come in different sizes PH1 & PH2 for Phillips and PZ1, PZ2 & PZ3 for Pozi.

The clutch and brake screws take a PZ2 bit, not a PH2  ;).
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »
Before you start drilling, cutting, etc. Try an impact tool first. (I would even attempt my small battery impact drill) then if that does not work, then try drilling, cutting, blasting....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
No one said it yet, but, WHEN you get them out, put anti-sieze on the threads of the new screws and the beveled head before putting them back in.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington