Author Topic: Canyon cages and motor mounts  (Read 15297 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Canyon cages and motor mounts
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
I don't think his cages have fell off, have they?  I can't believe that they would vibrate loose....on a C10, yes of course, but not on a C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
Max has less than 10,000 miles on his three year old bike, he might have 4,000 miles since his install, a real test of time ::)  red locktite is serious stuff if the factory thought blue was good enough they would have used it!
I learned a little bit along the way ... Do it RIGHT.
I started racing go-karts at a young age , snowmobiles at 16 , drag cars at 17 a 68 roadrunner
Believe me they use red locktite for good reason,
My outboard motor builder was installing the rod nuts on a fresh rebuild and I brought out a new stick form of locktite  , he told me to keep it!
You do as you wish , I guess Max knows more than mother Kaw. lots of luck.
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/168592_LT4985_Threadlocking_Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:19:04 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
If memory serves correct (which is very questionable after Tuesday night beers) I think Max is still on his original set of OEM tires, soooo me thinks mileage is even less.  :-\

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
  I sure hope I don't have to pull the cages off just to get the plastic back on. ???

I made the cuts to the middle fairings and I know they will go back on.  The rest of the plastic hopefully won't be too difficult to get back on.

If you made the cuts to the middle fairings you won't have to pull the cages to put them back on.  When I put cages on my 2008 I fished the cage through the middle fairing, although in all honesty if I have to remove the fairings for any sort of maintenance I'll probably just make the cuts anyways at that point.

I re-read those instructions about 10 times prior to starting, and I'm not one to normally read them at all!  Step by step pictures would of rocked and I thought about it halfway through the process but by then it was too late to start documenting it. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
Max has less than 10,000 miles on his three year old bike, he might have 4,000 miles since his install, a real test of time ::)  red locktite is serious stuff if the factory thought blue was good enough they would have used it!
I learned a little bit along the way ... Do it RIGHT.
I started racing go-karts at a young age , snowmobiles at 16 , drag cars at 17 a 68 roadrunner
Believe me they use red locktite for good reason,
My outboard motor builder was installing the rod nuts on a fresh rebuild and I brought out a new stick form of locktite  , he told me to keep it!
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/168592_LT4985_Threadlocking_Guide.pdf

From some of the things I've seen with this bike and quality control, my belief in mother Kaw is not that strong..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
Max has less than 10,000 miles on his three year old bike, he might have 4,000 miles since his install, a real test of time ::)

And my 4 year old car has 15,000 miles on it, I think.

1) I never claimed to know more than Kawasaki.

2) I never recommended that anyone else do what I did.  It was just what I did.

3) It has been discussed several times already that gen 1 bikes (which are the same engine and mounts) had no such amount of thread lock on those bolts and nobody ever reported them ever being loose or having coming out.

4) Without adding any additional thread lock it was almost as hard to get the new bolts in as taking the old ones out.

5) My friend, who is a master race mechanic helped me install them and HE said it shouldn't be necessary to add any more and that what was on it was insanely excessive.  Does HE know more than Kawasaki?  I don't know.  But he knows a hell of a lot more than me.  And it is quite possible that the amount of thread lock used was not what Kawasaki engineers were calling for in the first place, or that it was a mistake.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »
If memory serves correct (which is very questionable after Tuesday night beers) I think Max is still on his original set of OEM tires, soooo me thinks mileage is even less.  :-\

I don't pay much attention to the mileage, except when it is near service intervals.  I believe it is somewhere in the 9,000 range now.  I am still on the OEM tires- I think the front is nearly shot now.

I live 4 blocks from work and I hate long distance riding of any sort (which I define as more than 200 miles).  My body has lots of issues, and that is the extent of my range.  The Concours is strictly a pleasure vehicle; I take it on many dozens of 50 mile trips, several 100 mile trips, and several 200 mile trips per year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »
If anyone has any specific questions (besides simply "how do I install these?!") related to the installation of any of our products, feel free to call us via our toll free number during normal business hours. It's always best to ask questions if you're stuck rather than guess and chance a screw-up. If I can't help you, we have a Tech here full time that certainly can. You can email me, PM me, or simply call (866.886.2368) and I'll be sure to get back to you.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
And this is why we buy from you!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
And this is why we buy from you!

You guys rule!  8)
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I will be tackling my install starting tomorrow. 
I may be giving you a call Ryan
Thanks much
Dan

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:52 AM »
Can't have this at all.  You're back on topic...

Seriously, this is a good topic, especially for me.  Mine are still in a box.

Still keeping that shelf in the garage safe?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 05:30:00 AM »
 :salute: Absolutely!  I'm now waiting for it to warm up.  I wish I had a heated garage so I could work in it during the winter months.... ::)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »
:salute: Absolutely!  I'm now waiting for it to warm up.  I wish I had a heated garage so I could work in it during the winter months.... ::)
Bring it inside ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
That would be nice indeed but I'm not set up for that, unfortunately.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
I will be tackling my install starting tomorrow. 
I may be giving you a call Ryan
Thanks much
Dan

Sounds good! I'll be in and out of the office today as I have to return a bike we were borrowing but the Tech (his name is Armando) will be here all day. Feel free to call and ask for him if I'm out of the office when you call.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Started the install today.  There's been plenty of interruptions  but I got all the plastics off and so far I've removed the rear engine bolt and both right side bolts. 
QUESTION : are you supposed to take the cages apart and reassemble them on the bike ? Step 22 talks about an "s"  bracket and again in step 28
Dan

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Started the install today.  There's been plenty of interruptions  but I got all the plastics off and so far I've removed the rear engine bolt and both right side bolts. 

Normally you do not take off the plastics to install the bars.  Otherwise you are going to have to try and figure out how to cut them (which is optional) without much idea as to how they work.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
I decided to remove the plastics and cut them for easier removal again down the road for maintenance 
Dan

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 04:59:35 AM »
I decided to remove the plastics and cut them for easier removal again down the road for maintenance 
Dan

Good choice.   :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn