Author Topic: What makes me crazy and annoyed..  (Read 494927 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: What makes me crazy and annoyed..
« Reply #1560 on: August 18, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
But have found that almost any helmet that feels ok at first, but then has pressure points, will again feel ok after wearing it enough. Within some tolerance, it will take on the shape of your head. The question is how much pain before it does.

In my case, giving it two years is probably way more that most people would.  And when pain reaches nausea levels, it really does screw up a ride.

The other thing that screws up a ride beyond all tolerance is being stuck on the F'ing Interstate in hot weather, not moving.  After dozens of minutes go by and you are dizzy, drenched, exhausted, and about to throw up from dehydration and heat stroke, you are willing to do just about anything.... including riding on the shoulder with tons of debris, risking falling, risking being ticketed, being scorned at by the drivers in their air-conditioned palaces,  to get to the next exit.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1561 on: August 18, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
In my case, giving it two years is probably way more that most people would.  And when pain reaches nausea levels, it really does screw up a ride.

The other thing that screws up a ride beyond all tolerance is being stuck on the F'ing Interstate in hot weather, not moving.  After dozens of minutes go by and you are dizzy, drenched, exhausted, and about to throw up from dehydration and heat stroke, you are willing to do just about anything.... including riding on the shoulder with tons of debris, risking falling, risking being ticketed, being scorned at by the drivers in their air-conditioned palaces,  to get to the next exit.

but that's the joy of riding, filtering through all the stationary traffic :D
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1562 on: August 18, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
but that's the joy of riding, filtering through all the stationary traffic :D

Here it is illegal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1563 on: August 18, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
OK, this is a pretty negative thread (not complaining, it SHOULD be negative according to the title.... ), and I had myself a little rant here recently (checked today on that, no word back.... color me surprised).

But I normally have things go pretty well in life; sure all the usual ups and downs and little problems but really, it is great living here in my little corner of the world.

Yesterday I had something happen that was outside the bounds of 'pretty good' that I want to share: I had ordered a selection of items from a small business in AZ, which I think is basically a one- man show. I have dealt with this man before, and he has always provided excellent service, with excellent products, good delivery, and so on. And a nice guy to chat with too boot. But this last order was a bit complicated and involved, so it took a few days to put together. The next thing I knew, I got a notice from UPS telling me a package was coming from that company. Nothing unusual about any of that except, I had not yet paid for it! Amazing.

So I gave him a call thanked him for shipping the order and mentioning that I had not paid for it yet. He said no problem- how did I want to pay for it and was I ready to do so now (?!?!?!?). Again, amazing, so I asked him if he was concerned about receiving payment at all and he replied not in the least: he knew I would pay him, soon, and the only question might be in which manner.

So for all the hatred and bad business going on, here is a guy who just sends out his product, at least in some cases (I was a previous customer so he may not do that for everyone but I do not know) without payment or even a payment method in place.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1564 on: August 18, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1565 on: August 19, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
Here it is illegal.

move to a civilised state/country then :)
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1566 on: August 19, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
move to a civilised state/country then :)

Like one that has countless thousands of speed cameras?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limit_enforcement_in_the_United_Kingdom

:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1567 on: August 19, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
MD has them all over the place plus red light ones too.  In going through TN they have red light cameras.   I'm also thinking No. VA has them.   I would like my county to put red light cameras on our traffic light to our subdivision as that one is run all the time.

I believe the speeding camera's in MD have like a 12mph buffer in them.   They are putting speed cameras on the DC beltway.  Again, I think it's got a 12 mph buffer.  The speed limit on the beltway is 55.  You do 55 and the possibilities of dying go up dramatically. 

I don't have any issues with either red light cameras or speeding cameras.   At least it's just a fine and doesn't go on your record.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1568 on: August 19, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Like one that has countless thousands of speed cameras?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limit_enforcement_in_the_United_Kingdom

:)

Yup that's a good example, at least we don't have to sit stationary in traffic. If I want to do that I use the van :)

Anyways f you get caught by a static camera you're a fool as they're painted bright yellow and my GPS gives me advance warning of them.

That said the ones that are a real bummer are the average speed cameras. Up until recently on a motorcycle they weren't really an issue as they took pictures from the front (as the front plate is generally cleaner & more legible than the rear one) and there are no front plates on a bike, sadly a number of areas are now putting in average speed cameras that use the rear plate :(
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1569 on: August 19, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »
MD has them all over the place plus red light ones too.  In going through TN they have red light cameras.   I'm also thinking No. VA has them.   I would like my county to put red light cameras on our traffic light to our subdivision as that one is run all the time.

I have never seen a speed camera in VA and research shows there are none. 

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/automated_enforcement/enforcementtable?topicName=speed

Actually, any type of non-manned ticketing system is unconstitutional in VA (witnessing officer must ticket personally), but they do it anyway with red light cameras.  (As typical, they passed legislation without consulting the VA Constitution, and when it was pointed out, nobody seemed to care and I guess it has never been challenged enough).

I don't have any issues with either red light cameras or speeding cameras.   At least it's just a fine and doesn't go on your record.

I don't like either.  Especially red light cameras, which probably cause more accidents than they prevent.  Both are abused as money makers and privacy invaders.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1570 on: August 19, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
That said the ones that are a real bummer are the average speed cameras.

Creeping featurism.  Politicians and regulators always promise things will never be used for "other purposes", just what they were originally designed to do.  People reluctantly give up their privacy and rights in exchange for "safety", and then once people are used to that level, equipment then mutates to the next level.  Then the next.  Then the next.

Once the gate is opened, it is much harder to control what goes through it.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1571 on: August 19, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »
Creeping featurism.  Politicians and regulators always promise things will never be used for "other purposes", just what they were originally designed to do.  People reluctantly give up their privacy and rights in exchange for "safety", and then once people are used to that level, equipment then mutates to the next level.  Then the next.  Then the next.

Once the gate is opened, it is much harder to control what goes through it.

no one is under any illusion it's anything but a cash generator in 99% of locations where they are employed.

--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1572 on: August 19, 2017, 08:31:04 AM »
Yes, traffic infractions based on any type of non- human device are civil complaints, not criminal charges. This is not true in other countries but here in the US, as we have 'the right to face our accuser, in open court', it stops criminal proceeding being based on machines.

Exactly as you said, there is a fee involved but no criminal side, meaning no 'moving violation' to stack up against you, no increase in insurance rates or other, hidden results. Just the face- value cost of the infraction.

Amusing story: there was a speed camera placed on the side of a secondary road right at the crossing between Germany and The Netherlands; the camera was German, and on the German side but caught a lot of Dutch people because it was a common crossing point (this was in the mid- 2000's, so after the EU, all border controls were gone and you really could not tell when you crossed the border). Anyway, apparently the Dutch did not care for the speed camera so they vandalized it so it would not operate, starting with spray- painting the lens and working their way up. The last iteration, something like number 6, was when they doused it with fuel oil and set it on fire. The Germans finally got the message and just removed the charred remains without replacing it. A Dutch friend who lived on that road w/in a mile of the border told me the story 'cause there was no camera there for me to notice.

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1573 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »
Of course I am not familiar with VA's constitution (hell, not really familiar with my state's constitution either really) but assuming you are correct (and I am not doubting you Max, just do not want to take a side supporting something I do not know about), then this kind of stuff is really dangerous IMO. 'Chipping' away at the base laws in place without regard, concern or even apparently paying any attention to 'you cannot do that'. And it has nothing at all to do with which side of an issue a person stands, it is the concept itself that needs protection IMO.

Someone once said that the test of the Constitution was not when something happened that was fine by the listener but when something happening that was NOT something the listener wanted to hear.

Brian

I have never seen a speed camera in VA and research shows there are none. 

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/automated_enforcement/enforcementtable?topicName=speed

Actually, any type of non-manned ticketing system is unconstitutional in VA (witnessing officer must ticket personally), but they do it anyway with red light cameras.  (As typical, they passed legislation without consulting the VA Constitution, and when it was pointed out, nobody seemed to care and I guess it has never been challenged enough).

I don't like either.  Especially red light cameras, which probably cause more accidents than they prevent.  Both are abused as money makers and privacy invaders.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1574 on: August 19, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
We have a fix for that one- a license plate cover that is made of horizontal louvers. Looked at from straight or a shallow angle, the louvers cannot be seen; viewed from any higher position and the plate cannot be seen.

Now that we are talking about this, how to the gendarmes catch you folks speeding in the UK? Here there are three general methods, clocking (LEO trailing you, matching speed), radar and laser. Clocking is not much of a problem except for the foolish or drunk, radar can usually be detected and avoided (although illegal in <I believe> 9 states, and anywhere in the US on trucks over a certain tonnage) but laser is really tough. A laser detector goes off at the same instant the cop gets the reading and really only serves to notify you you will be chatting with someone in a uniform shortly. Now laser CAN be jammed but it is expensive although some units are very effective. There are a whole lot of 'snakeoil' things that are supposed to ward off laser but all have proven ineffective so far. Different areas of the country use different methods but radar is about dead in southern New England and laser is the 'weapon of choice', and as I said, just about impossible to avoid without active jamming.

We also have spotter aircraft but they are in very limited use other than occasionally hanging over our larger cities.

Brian

That said the ones that are a real bummer are the average speed cameras. Up until recently on a motorcycle they weren't really an issue as they took pictures from the front (as the front plate is generally cleaner & more legible than the rear one) and there are no front plates on a bike, sadly a number of areas are now putting in average speed cameras that use the rear plate :(

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1575 on: August 20, 2017, 04:32:45 AM »

Pretty much the same as over there.

As well as the fixed cameras therre are also (S)camera vans with laser cameras(which in many places are operated by the local authorities rather than the police). Random checks may also be set up with Laser guns, radar isnt quite so common over here AFAIK.

In some (mainly rural areas there are also community initiatives whereby local residents may be given training in operating a handheld device and whilst you cant be prosecuted off the back of those you may have someone coming to have a friendly chat with you about your driving.

On vehicle  checks using VASCAR (incidentally invented by a resident of Virginia)  plus nearly all Police vehicles are equipped these days with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)  which gives the operator an immediate readout on the tax,MOT & insurance status plus is used, also flags up if a vehicle is of interest.

Vehicles (cars or bikes) can either be  fully marked or completely unmarked .

Helicopters are frequently used in many areas as a spotter to call in ground based crews (although they can also calculate speed directly as many roads have large white squares painted on them for use with ground/air based vascar) especially if they are having a crackdown in a specific area. North Wales Police are bastards for using them to catch bikers which is why a grey overcast day with low cloud is a good day to go riding in North Wales :)

We have a fix for that one- a license plate cover that is made of horizontal louvers. Looked at from straight or a shallow angle, the louvers cannot be seen; viewed from any higher position and the plate cannot be seen.

Now that we are talking about this, how to the gendarmes catch you folks speeding in the UK? Here there are three general methods, clocking (LEO trailing you, matching speed), radar and laser. Clocking is not much of a problem except for the foolish or drunk, radar can usually be detected and avoided (although illegal in <I believe> 9 states, and anywhere in the US on trucks over a certain tonnage) but laser is really tough. A laser detector goes off at the same instant the cop gets the reading and really only serves to notify you you will be chatting with someone in a uniform shortly. Now laser CAN be jammed but it is expensive although some units are very effective. There are a whole lot of 'snakeoil' things that are supposed to ward off laser but all have proven ineffective so far. Different areas of the country use different methods but radar is about dead in southern New England and laser is the 'weapon of choice', and as I said, just about impossible to avoid without active jamming.

We also have spotter aircraft but they are in very limited use other than occasionally hanging over our larger cities.

Brian
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1576 on: August 20, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »
All the same here- small world.

Except the citizenry getting involved in any way: we do not have that that I know of. I am speaking of citizen linked to in any way police, not private citizens providing security service(s).

Brian

Pretty much the same as over there.

As well as the fixed cameras therre are also (S)camera vans with laser cameras(which in many places are operated by the local authorities rather than the police). Random checks may also be set up with Laser guns, radar isnt quite so common over here AFAIK.

In some (mainly rural areas there are also community initiatives whereby local residents may be given training in operating a handheld device and whilst you cant be prosecuted off the back of those you may have someone coming to have a friendly chat with you about your driving.

On vehicle  checks using VASCAR (incidentally invented by a resident of Virginia)  plus nearly all Police vehicles are equipped these days with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)  which gives the operator an immediate readout on the tax,MOT & insurance status plus is used, also flags up if a vehicle is of interest.

Vehicles (cars or bikes) can either be  fully marked or completely unmarked .

Helicopters are frequently used in many areas as a spotter to call in ground based crews (although they can also calculate speed directly as many roads have large white squares painted on them for use with ground/air based vascar) especially if they are having a crackdown in a specific area. North Wales Police are bastards for using them to catch bikers which is why a grey overcast day with low cloud is a good day to go riding in North Wales :)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1577 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
Community Speed Watch is relatively new and is "a partnership between local people, the Police, the Fire Service and local councils. Volunteers spend a short time each week monitoring speeds and noting number plates. Those identified as speeding are sent a warning letter and the police will take further action if the same vehicle is identified as speeding three times.[ Community Speed Watch is only permitted for speed limits of 40 mph or below. Junior Speed Watch works in a similar way but involves schoolchildren "

All the same here- small world.

Except the citizenry getting involved in any way: we do not have that that I know of. I am speaking of citizen linked to in any way police, not private citizens providing security service(s).

Brian
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1578 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »
Keyed vs non-keyed vehicles.   Rented a car to do a job down south and it had keys.   Kept on getting in and then having to get out to pull the keys out of my  pocket.  All my current vehicles are keyless.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1579 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
Way too much obsession with speeding.  And yet distracted driving, non-use of turn-signals, tailgating, horribly aligned headlights, general poor driving, and many other things flourish.  "Drives me crazy and annoyed".