Author Topic: Meanstreak wheel machining  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Jwh360

Meanstreak wheel machining
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
Picked up a Meanstreak wheel for my C-10, anyone know of a machine shop in the southern California area that can do the machining on the disk rotor mounting surface?
Jeff in SoCal. 1998 ZG1000-A13, 1979 RD400F Daytona Special

Offline throb

Re: Meanstreak wheel machining
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32:26 AM »
Unless someone can give you a specific name, just start checking with local, smaller shops.  I took mine to one a few miles from home and a guy there did it on his off time for $45.  I just gave him a printout of the CAD drawing of what maching is necessary in the "farkles" section, under the MS wheel conversion info.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
I have the print, and I've been calling the local shops.  They're either productions shops, or don't have a machine big enough to hold the wheel.
Jeff in SoCal. 1998 ZG1000-A13, 1979 RD400F Daytona Special

Offline pilotsailing

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:41:16 PM »
I put a mean streak on my c 10 two years ago and didn't machine the wheel at all. I used the mean streak rotor and brake caliper and bought the caliper holder and machined it to fit . It was very simple to machine, my brother did it in his basement with his 2000 dollar milling machine.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
I put a mean streak on my c 10 two years ago and didn't machine the wheel at all. I used the mean streak rotor and brake caliper and bought the caliper holder and machined it to fit . It was very simple to machine, my brother did it in his basement with his 2000 dollar milling machine.

Did you have any issue with the rear brake caliper making contact with your hard bag? I was under the impression their may have been some clearance issues...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline pilotsailing

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »
No issue whatsoever  :D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
No issue whatsoever  :D

Good to know... I had my Son In Law cut my wheel down .300" as he is a CNC Vertical Mill Operator and can use the company equipment on his own time. I had EBC petal cut a rotor so as to match their ZRX front rotors but I did use a M S rear caliper mounted on the Concours brake mounting system.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline pilotsailing

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
http://www.ronayers.com/Rear-Brake-C384906.aspx
This is the website I bought the rear brake caliper holder from, part no. 43034
I had to machine some off the starboard side so it would fit in between the wheel and swing arm frame and also some off where the link rod hooks up to. That part was very tight but it worked like a charm, Could not use the nut on the bolt for the link rod but did something else, can't really remember what but it was simple. Also had to buy a slightly longer brake line because with that holder the brake caliper is at the 9 oclock position on the caliper and stock brake line was too short.