Author Topic: New Goldwing StreetGlide  (Read 27951 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: New Goldwing StreetGlide
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »
Yes, looking to woo HD wannabes. Kawasaki makes the Vaquaro, not much different. Not for me. Agreed, they need to seriously spend some money and upgrade the ST1300, I have a feeling we'll see something along those lines next year.

I think their intention was to replace the ST1300 with the VRF. But the VRF didn't hit the mark. Seems like they need a VRF Tour with all the ST type bells and whistles. Problem is if you look at the VRF without luggage, electric windshield, etc. it is already $18,000. Can only imagine what they would want for a full ST version.

Offline eng943

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 10:24:25 AM »
What an abonitation. A low budget effort to take a nice refined touring platform, and make it look like an Ultra Street Glide to woo cruiser buyers. Honda shows no real ambition to improve/advance and invest in their product. Rather, they clumsily and cheaply I might add try to go for the midlife crisis brigade by slapping some flat black paint on existing parts and cobbling together this pile of junk. I highly doubt this bastardized wing will sell in the volume necessary to justify it being around for more than a model year or so, and meanwhile other companies will chip away at wing sales with more advanced and capable distance bikes.

Honda would have been better served to making serious improvements to the Wing. For starters, how about an adjustable windshield Honda? All the Japaneese manufacturers seem to suffer too much from trying to be all things to all people, and this is a prime example.

While we're at it Honda...how about a new ST?   

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
A VFR instead of the ST? They are kidding right? Way too complex of a bike, plus, its ugly. A stop gap measure until the new ST arrives? I thought certainly after the C-14 they'd be working on something, then the BMW 6, then the Triumph. Who's making the decisions over there?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
What an abonitation. A low budget effort to take a nice refined touring platform, and make it look like an Ultra Street Glide to woo cruiser buyers. Honda shows no real ambition to improve/advance and invest in their product. Rather, they clumsily and cheaply I might add try to go for the midlife crisis brigade by slapping some flat black paint on existing parts and cobbling together this pile of junk. I highly doubt this bastardized wing will sell in the volume necessary to justify it being around for more than a model year or so, and meanwhile other companies will chip away at wing sales with more advanced and capable distance bikes.

Honda would have been better served to making serious improvements to the Wing. For starters, how about an adjustable windshield Honda? All the Japaneese manufacturers seem to suffer too much from trying to be all things to all people, and this is a prime example.

While we're at it Honda...how about a new ST?   

Think about it.  They just took the trunk off, shorter windshield, and different paint.  If it doesn't do well, very little engineering dollars lost.  Not like the money they would have had to spend coming up with an all new bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline eng943

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
Think about it.  They just took the trunk off, shorter windshield, and different paint.  If it doesn't do well, very little engineering dollars lost.  Not like the money they would have had to spend coming up with an all new bike.

Makes no sense to me when both their long distance bikes are so long in the tooth. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »
I think their intention was to replace the ST1300 with the VRF. But the VRF didn't hit the mark. Seems like they need a VRF Tour with all the ST type bells and whistles. Problem is if you look at the VRF without luggage, electric windshield, etc. it is already $18,000. Can only imagine what they would want for a full ST version.

The VFR1200F was supposed to be followed by a V4 DS model, then a new V4 sport touring model.  They have released the Crosstourer DS on the V4.  They should be releasing the new ST replacement next.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Makes no sense to me when both their long distance bikes are so long in the tooth.

Goldwing sales are still pretty darn good, so don't make too many changes to something that isnt broke. Now the ST on the otherhand, has gone from long in the tooth to full out fangs.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline TJ

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
Owned a couple of Wings and plan on buying another when (if) we move out of Alaska. They are my all time favorite ride. But this new model looks like s h i t
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »
Funny you should mention luring the HD rowd.  On of my brothers is an HD fan.  he just totalled his bike last month.  We were all at mom's this weekend and decided to make a run to the local bike shop (Honda/Yamaha dealer) just to have a look around.  There were a few traded in HDs, but he had nothing particularly good to say about any of the bikes till the salesmane brough up pics of the F6B.  I don't think he'd buy one, but only because it's new and the price is a bit high, otherwise, I think he'd go with one.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
My two pesos' worth: I've been a Honda guy for decades including two Wings (1200 and 1600), VFR750, VFR700, multiple CRs and CRF mx bikes, Pacific Coast for the (ex-) wife and up till 2 years ago, an ST1100.

The Rune is the ugliest bike ever made. Personally I'm happy that the people who got suckered into believing they were instant collectables are stuck with the fugly things.

The 1600 Wings handle surprisingly well and the Valks even better.

The newest VFR is so ugly and over priced that I wouldn't even keep it if handed to me new; I'd sell it and buy something that has some sex appeal.

Honda has now completely lost me. My CRF450 is up for sale, being replaced by a KTM 250SX 2-stroke. The newest Honda CRF450 has twin silencers for no reason other than to be different (plus it adds weight to a race bike). This new Wide Glide clone is just parts bin "engineering." I think it actually looks halfway decent, but that it's just a clone of a Wide Glide is what turns me off. Honda used to set the standard, not play follow the leader.

The Concours replaced the ST1100 and I'd never go back to that thing with the triangular mufflers and boring motor. There is zero in the Honda showrooms that appeals to me anymore! I sometimes wonder if Honda even cares about it's m/c business anymore.

End of rant. I doubt that Honda cares that they've lost another bike customer (and I have zero plans to get one of their cars, SUVs or private jets).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
If Honda came out with a new Valkyrie similar to the original Valkyrie but based on the 1800 FI motor, maybe give it an upgrade for more HP (like the original Valk 1500 motor), I would be very interested. But I understand why they don't do it. Not enough volume to make it worth their while.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
Honda cares much less about their motorcycles in my opinion these days, cars/marine/generators/lawn&Garden and jets are their main concerns now.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Honda cares much less about their motorcycles in my opinion these days, cars/marine/generators/lawn&Garden and jets are their main concerns now.

Yep. Sad. Honda no longer leads in any bike category IMHO (and it ain't so humble after 40 years a chunk of which were in the bike biz).

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:35 AM »
If Honda came out with a new Valkyrie similar to the original Valkyrie but based on the 1800 FI motor, maybe give it an upgrade for more HP (like the original Valk 1500 motor), I would be very interested. But I understand why they don't do it. Not enough volume to make it worth their while.

I'd rather see a Valkyrie with the V4 engine, but then again I don't like to sit on a bike like I am about to push out a baby.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Joncon11

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
OK...here we go. This thing is WAY too Goldwing to be mistaken for  Hardly Gayvison. That said, I have always wanted a Goldwing but always felt that I was not ready (old enough), this does it for me. I don’t ride two-up so all the extra cockpit in the back is completely useless to me, my wife rides her own bike (if you can call a FZ6r a bike ::)). The VFR is the abomination here, coming from my 07 Anniversary Addition (may it rest in peices) I was completely appauled at what they did to such an icon of a bike, IMO they never should have changed it that much. I would never get rid of my C14, but my wife has laid claim to it and she is 100% supportive of me getting the new Wing, and quite frankly, I think I’m in for one. I think this new version will draw a lot of people like me, on the fence about the Wing, but apprehensive due to the “hanging it up” feel of a full blown Wing. As for the “Wanna-be Harley” comments, no self respecting Harley wanna-be would ever be caught dead on a Honda, they would go out and buy  a base model Sportster and an over priced Do-Rag. *end rant* Thanks for reading.

Offline booger

« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I go weekly down to the local Honda dealer to set on one.
I think they are non existant.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
I think it looks awesome!  The only wing I would ride.  A slightly bigger windshield and I'm good to go.  The black is beautiful!

You mean like this one Mike?

;D

I like it a bunch!!!!  And yes, I'm getting old  8).  Cool double nickles in Feb :chugbeer:.  I could do this real easy.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »
Owning a Goldwing isn't "Throwing in the Towel" by any stretch of the imagination.  If you haven't ridden the 1800 wing before, be prepared to wear a sh*# eating grin after your first ride.  That 1800 flat six is no slouch.  As for drawing in the Hardly riders?  They couldn't handle the performance end of that bike. ;)

I live in Milwaukee and I'm so sick of the Hardly "Lifestyle" BS......................sorry.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
Owning a Goldwing isn't "Throwing in the Towel" by any stretch of the imagination.  If you haven't ridden the 1800 wing before, be prepared to wear a sh*# eating grin after your first ride.  That 1800 flat six is no slouch.  As for drawing in the Hardly riders?  They couldn't handle the performance end of that bike. ;)

I live in Milwaukee and I'm so sick of the Hardly "Lifestyle" BS......................sorry.

Very well said!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
That black one does look sweet. Very sharp!
Joel from Maine.