Author Topic: Thoughts on electric motorcycles?  (Read 8537 times)

Offline Elfmaze

Re: Thoughts on electric motorcycles?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 04:06:12 AM »
I looked at Zero.  Never got out to ride them but my 6 miles commute to work would be covered.   Thing i worried about was battery degradation.  60 miles now,  what about a year from now?  And a new battery pack although replaceable would probably be in the thousands.   I still haven't bought that turbo for my Z.  what are the changes of dropping 2K on a cheap electric commuter. 

Plus i have 60 amp service at home. I can barley run the microwave with Christmas lights on.   

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 05:13:32 AM »
I looked at Zero.  Never got out to ride them but my 6 miles commute to work would be covered.   Thing i worried about was battery degradation.  60 miles now,  what about a year from now?  And a new battery pack although replaceable would probably be in the thousands.   I still haven't bought that turbo for my Z.  what are the changes of dropping 2K on a cheap electric commuter. 

Plus i have 60 amp service at home. I can barley run the microwave with Christmas lights on.
60 amp service  :yikes: :yikes: Damn was your home built by Fisher Price?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:12 AM »
National Electric Drag Racing Association
http://www.nedra.com/

Some very cool vids of the Lawless/OCC drag bike.  8)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
I'm kinda looking forward to the practical use of electric vehicles. I've read that manufacturers are going to be installing some sort of sound generator for low speed operation because apparently pedestrians can't hear them coming. Think of the aftermarket support for such a requirement. Instead of straight pipes you'll have mega-speakers sticking out the sides. All of the sound choices would be amazing. I'm going to choose the flying-saucer sound from the old TV series UFO.

http://ufoseries.com/soundEffects/index.html

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:05 AM »
I want the sound of a playing card against spokes...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:31 AM »
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
60 amp service  :yikes: :yikes: Damn was your home built by Fisher Price?

Built in the late 1800's by Portland Cement in the Lehigh Valley.   Still has the original Knob and Tube wiring.  Wreaks havoc on wifi signals.   ::)  I guess they used more candles back then. And I'm not sure how many watts there computer graphics cards used but they must have only had one computer per household or something???

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Try this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6210016_put-cards-bicycle-spokes.html

To get this: http://youtu.be/2tvLe-_TPRY

That's awesome. Don't know what sounded better, the playing cards or the girls cackling!!

I preferred the deeper tone of using a small balloon, clothes pinned to the frame, over the playing card sound.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
Excellent!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Things we could no longer ask on the forum:

What kind of oil should I use?

How do I get the carbs off?

Premium or regular?

What does "baffle-ectomoy" mean?

My cams are pitted..!!!!

What would we argue talk about?  It might mean the end of the interweb as we know it.

There would be plenty:

What kind of dialectic grease do you use?

I had one cell go out, can I just replace that one cell or do I spring $7000 for a whole new battery pack?

Is it really worth $600 for gold terminals and large cables?

Where can I get my motor controller re-flashed?

Don't kid yourself its still a machine subject to breakdowns and customization.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »
There would be plenty:

I had one cell go out, can I just replace that one cell or do I spring $7000 for a whole new battery pack?

Is it really worth $600 for gold terminals and large cables?

Where can I get my motor controller re-flashed?

Don't kid yourself its still a machine subject to breakdowns and customization.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
If you had a Bremmo owners group you could have a rally. I can just see it:

Come to the Arkansas BOG rally
We will start in Little Rock at the river front park and ride all the way to
the Holiday Inn in Pine Bluff

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »

Either this one, or that one.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
If you had a Bremmo owners group you could have a rally. I can just see it:

Come to the Arkansas BOG rally
We will start in Little Rock at the river front park and ride all the way to the Holiday Inn in Pine Bluff.

You will find that the BOG will farkle their bikes extensively.  Like this pic to catch sun's rays to ride forever.  YMMV in Seattle.  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
I'm waiting until they get the kinks out of broadcast power..  Either that, or my own little nuclear reactor.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
Electric is about to kick arse in the best racing known to man.

Making its debut at the 2012 Isle of Man TT, the 2012 MotoCzysz E1pc was unveiled today, ahead of the first TT Zero practice session on Saturday. Campaigned again by the Segway MotoCzysz Racing Team, the 2012 MotoCzysz E1pc is based heavily off its 2011 counterpart, but with obvious aerodynamic changes, as well as subtle system improvements. Boasting 200+ peak horsepower and 14kWh of battery pack, the new MotoCzysz E1pc tips the scales at 525 lbs — a full 45 lbs lighter than its main competitor, the Mugen Shinden.

Defending his #1 plate, Michael Rutter returns to Team Segway MotoCzysz, as well as American Mark Miller, who has been with the squad since its first TT race four years ago. Unlike last year, both riders will be on the same spec race bike, as MotoCzysz is racing to be the first team to crack the 100 mph average lap speed barrier. The Isle of Man government has put up £10,000 to the first rider to crack the 100 mph mark, which nearly went to Rutter in the 2011 SES TT Zero race.

Noticeably apparent on the 2012 MotoCzysz E1pc are the aerodynamic fins and ducts, which the team has developed through the use of Solidworks, and hopes will help make the Ep1c slip through the air on the Mountain Course with ease. Since wind resistance is a square-function when velocity doubles, MotoCzysz has placed a high priority on aerodynamics for the 2012 season.

“We had to look for the areas that would be easiest for us to go faster,” explained MotoCzysz CEO and Team Principal Michael Czysz. “We’ve done a pretty good job of elevating the drive system, the chassis,and the suspension. So we could go back and attack those things again, or we could work on the aerodynamics, which we’ve never really touched. We did little hints, and we tried little bits last year, but we really never studied it — we’ve just always had bigger problems to deal with first.”

Making refinements to the 2011 design, MotoCzysz returns with its under-tank suspension design, which uses two shocks with forward and aft linkages to facilitate the front forks and swingarm suspension duties. Other improvements have been made to the bike’s electric drivetrain, which include increased efficiencies, more accessible packaging, and better mass-centralization.

“We’ve done a lot of what we call connectivities and interconnections…they are all small changes, and that’s what happens. Look at it this way: let’s say we do 100, 102, or 104 mph this year. It is going to be hard to add another 5 mph next year, and another 5 mph the year after that. It gets more difficult obviously, and it’s the same thing we’re talking about with these components. It was easy the first couple of years to make big adjustments, but there weren’t those big obvious ones to make this year, just lots of little ones.”

“Physically the battery pack is slightly bigger, but that’s because we have changed some dimensions for other dimensions. We don’t have air flowing through it this year, so we’ve had to make up that cross-sectional area. We’ve also done a much better job of cooling our batteries, which has meant doing some thermal stuff inside the batteries.”

Though the 2012 MotoCzysz E1pc has been tested prior to its arrival on the Isle, tomorrow’s practice is the first chance Rutter and Miller will have to swing a leg over the machine. Talking to Michael Czysz about the TT fortnight, he said biggest hurdle will be setting up the bikes to each rider’s specifications in only two mountain passes. Helping the two Segway MotoCzysz Racing riders conquer the Mountain Course is an upgraded systems dash, which will better communicate the pace of the rider in relation to the course, and what is occurring on the 2012 MotoCzysz E1pc.

“We’re communicating to the riders very simple, clean, and efficient strategies on what they can do with the bike — and that’s on-the-fly as they go,” said Czysz. “This is really one of our secret sauces this year.”
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »
Is this being televised?

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
Is this being televised?

Doubt it.  I have to follow it over the internetz.   :'(
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red