Author Topic: The tax man cometh  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Leo

Re: The tax man cometh
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »
Quote from the Beatles;    "One for you 19 for me, I'm the tax man, if 5% seems too small, be thankful I don't take it all, yeah, I'M the TAXMAN!"   In don't know why I love that line so much.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 08:10:52 AM »
It's the %5 part.  I wish it were that low.  If it were I could have me a new KTM350EXC ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
It's the %5 part.  I wish it were that low.  If it were I could have me a new KTM350EXC ;D

In the song they were implying 5% for you, 95% for the taxman. A 95% tax rate. And perhaps at their income levels in England at that time, that was their tax rate.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »
Need more coffee :o

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 11:31:18 AM »
In the song they were implying 5% for you, 95% for the taxman. A 95% tax rate. And perhaps at their income levels in England at that time, that was their tax rate.

Yes, it was that high.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »
We lost our child deduction because of my daughter's age which was worth $1k. Now we have to pay $1k. At least next year I'll have education deductions as she starts college this fall.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
Yep, yep, yep. Next year I'll be retired so it'll be a different story for me. Plus I won't have to pay any state income taxes.    8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
Yep, yep, yep. Next year I'll be retired so it'll be a different story for me. Plus I won't have to pay any state income taxes.    8)
Moving to Texas??  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:28 AM »
Moving to Texas??  8)

Nope, once I retire Illinois doesn't require me to pay state income taxes any longer.   :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »
hehehe for now

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:55 AM »
hehehe for now

Hush! I'm hoping that any changes made are NOT retroactive.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:55 AM »
Good luck

Son of Pappy

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »
Once retired what's keeping you Illinois?  The wonderfull winter riding you have?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »
Once retired what's keeping you Illinois?  The wonderfull winter riding you have?

My wife works for the state too. She can't retire for another 5 to 8 years. After that we can go where ever we like. The plan is to keep a home base here, buy a motorhome with a trailer for Connie and travel.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
The plan is to keep a home base here, buy a motorhome with a trailer for Connie and travel.

:thumbs: :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
My wife works for the state too. She can't retire for another 5 to 8 years. After that we can go where ever we like. The plan is to keep a home base here, buy a motorhome with a trailer for Connie and travel.
Get a toy hauler, at least then you can hide the fact you trailered the beast ;)

Make sure you point the nose West, I have a trailer hookup so you and yours could base camp while you ride the best roads in the nation :)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Ride the Connie and pull the RV. Trailers are for boats!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »
We have a 30' 5th wheel now and my wife won't drive the pick-up and pull it. Since I can't pull two trailers at the same time or ride the bike while driving the pick-up, I'll have to get a motorhome and trailer the bike. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
Get a toy hauler, at least then you can hide the fact you trailered the beast ;)

Make sure you point the nose West, I have a trailer hookup so you and yours could base camp while you ride the best roads in the nation :)

Thanks Chet! I may take you up on that.  ;D

When the time comes to buy the motorhome, if there's a model that can haul Connie in the back that may be an option.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:35 AM »
I'm looking at a 24' toyhauler, $8k, makes for a 32' space once all setup.  I could get the GS, YZ, quad for SWMBO, and the C14 loaded for a well rounded trip to say Moab or wherever I may go.  There are so many great roads and many of them aint paved and those that are need more than the GS will offer.  Why the YZ????  If ya have to ask ya just don't get it ;)