Author Topic: Attention lurkers who are looking to buy a Concours  (Read 10656 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Attention lurkers who are looking to buy a Concours
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
Here we go again, "average 44+mpg", are you kidding?  Where are you? How do you ride? 

I call B.S. On this. Sorry.

Why do you find that so hard to believe?  I seem to get around 44mpg also (and I don't use "eco" mode).  Granted, most of this time has been in the mysterious "breakin" period (at 1,200 or something miles now), and I ride more "chicken", but 44 is very doable for mostly highway miles.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
My 2011 is awesome. 3600 miles in two months. Fires right up. Averages 44.2 MPG (according to the puter) with "spirited riding".  Runs like a raped ape. Gives me thrills at every curve followed by exhilarating straights. Gets complements at every stop. Kipass works great. No heat from the bike in 100+ weather. Bags have not fallen off. No rear drive noise. Good times!

I concur, but I have an '09 with over 25,000 miles.
No heat, no issues.
Frackin love it.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
Why do you find that so hard to believe?  I seem to get around 44mpg also (and I don't use "eco" mode).  Granted, most of this time has been in the mysterious "breakin" period (at 1,200 or something miles now), and I ride more "chicken", but 44 is very doable for mostly highway miles.

I have done the highway miles for many tanks -from easy highways to hard highways.  From shifting at low rpm to high rpm.  I used premium to regular gas.  I even added some expensive gas additive.  Saddle bags on and off.  Absolutely not even close to 44mpg.  Highest I got is 38.2mpg.  You tell me how I can achieve this magic meth! 
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »
I have done the highway miles for many tanks -from easy highways to hard highways.  From shifting at low rpm to high rpm.  I used premium to regular gas.  I even added some expensive gas additive.  Saddle bags on and off.  Absolutely not even close to 44mpg.  Highest I got is 38.2mpg.  You tell me how I can achieve this magic meth!
What kinda oil and do you use winter or summer air in your tires?   ;D ;D ;D

When I am with SWMBO I get an easy 45 calculated MPG, with a best of 48.6.  She likes a smooth ride.  When she isnt onboard I average 41-42 MPG for the commute, if I'm riding for the scenic views I'll get 43ish, and if I'm bombing the back roads 36ish, and the track?  Well, it aint no fun riding fast if your worried about MPG.  Full AreaP, PCV w/Autotune.  Pirelli Angels with the obama recomended 42 PSI ;)  I like to ride, therefore I keep my hooligan in check most times, 'less of course I'm chasing Brian down 8)

Offline frogrider

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
My 2001 C-10 has 31,000 miles on it and has been re-painted by a PO.
It looks good, runs even better, does redline at 10+, handles me, the wife,
all of our luggage, and NEVER complains!  It truly is an ideal, allround, fast and
functional motorcycle that gives much more than it asks for.

My next bike will very likely be a Connie 1400cc. But not till I am tired of
this one.......might be a while.....

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »

49 mpg out of a tank this weekend... "spirited" freeway miles. Calculated at fill-up, I don't trust the computer. Most distance rides are somewhere in the 44-45 range. City riding sits around 40.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline katata1100

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
Are you riding with any bar risers or is it stock?

All stock, even the seat. The seat is fine for me for about 5 hours, then I hurt. Bar height is fine for me.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
I've been riding the snot out of my '11 black Connie since I picked her up in mid-April. About 7k miles now, very few of them simple around-town jaunts. Most of them have been hard twisties and fast highway, including the dragon and Mt. Washington. She has run flawlessly, handles like a dream, and looks as good now as on Day One. There have been a few times when I thought she'd get away from me, like when the front tire got caught in a long rut, but there was never a need to try to muscle her out. A relaxed grip and she worked herself out of trouble.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
Flatlanding on the interstate at ~75-80 mph in ECO mode, I can average 52 mpg on a tank easy. I can also average <20 mpg if I ride the **** out of it. Just so happens the puter tells me my average for 3600 miles is 44.2.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 10:11:53 PM »
KiPass keeps my bike clean. I just rolled in from a 7006 miles trip.  Changed oil again and may head to Key largo for a Cheeseburger in Paradise, and Key West for a slice of Key lime pie.  All the FL bugs will be removed by the mad POW-ah  of KiPass.

KiPass recently protected my bike when i went off-road ADV style.  My real off-road bike was home 3000 miles away. Sometimes like not having the "right tool", you have to do the best with what you got. KiPass fended off the diamond backs, scorpians, and turned my PR3's into sand tires. Then cleaned the bike.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline cRAsH

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:50 AM »
Here we go again, "average 44+mpg", are you kidding?  Where are you? How do you ride? 

I call B.S. On this. Sorry.

44.2 on my dash, and checked many times the old fashioned way.
I'm not exactly nice to it, but I do put it in eco mode on the slab part of my daily commute.

8 months and 24k miles, so far so good.
rokhaul is a lying scam artist

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 08:09:13 AM »
I get 44-45 on freeway in ECO mode all day. Both by computer and by calculating. I left my C14 bone stock.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
Attention lurkers who are looking to buy a Concours

The secret to the Concours is you're paying for the mad pow-ah of KiPass.  They just throw the bike in with it.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
KiPass can kick Chuck Norris's butt. It's that badass...
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 02:20:51 PM »
KiPass can kick Chuck Norris's butt. It's that badass...

Even Chuck would have a hard time delivering a round house kick to a fob's face right?

chuck norris - roundhouse kick OMG
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »

I cannot find this eco-mode that is spoke of is this a fuelly farkle  ;D ;D

Mike 08
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
 Mike 08

If "Mike 08" means 2008 Concours, then you can look all you want and you will never find the Eco mode.  It was added in 2010.

Press and hold the rear (really it is in front) button on the left handlebar until "Eco Mode" appears on the display.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cRAsH

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »

Mike 08

You need to run two tanks of fuel all the way to the flashy gas pump thingy with the dash language in French and it will be yours.
rokhaul is a lying scam artist

Offline atilla457

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
Real men don't need ECO mode.  It's all in the fingers.

Proud owner of a 2009 ;)
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
No fancy Eco mode for me, but I usually get around 40 mpg.  33 when I am flogging it and I even got 47 while slabbing it up to northern Illinois.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.