Author Topic: finding a qualified Kawasaki mechanic  (Read 7592 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
finding a qualified Kawasaki mechanic
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
I love my connie...but I am not a mechanic. The few times I have asked technical questions at the local Kawasaki dealer I don't get the impression that I am dealing with the sharpest knife in the drawer (if you know what I mean)...my question is this...is there any Kawasaki  factory trained mechanics around, if so what do I look for to know that the mechanic is competent?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
Re: finding a qualified Kawasaki mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
I work with mechanics/technicians all day long...its like talking to your kids/or just children in general, you can tell when they are lying. 
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »
LoL @ "dealership", thats the last place to hang out for decent service!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
If you put what town you're in/near, maybe someone can put you on a reputable qualified mechanic.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
If you put what town you're in/near, maybe someone can put you on a reputable qualified mechanic.

He's in the Seattle area...

Yes, I stalk all of you.  :o

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
ZG, I didn't know you are from seattle. Me too. Yes all the good techs are in Seattle.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:26 PM »
ZG, I didn't know you are from seattle. Me too. Yes all the good techs are in Seattle.

Close, but nope, I'm down in Portland.

I just checked his profile...  ;)

Offline DaveO

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
ive  found a conscientious and competent mech but he is 1.5 hr away and its an independent shop. I dont  even mind the drive.
Been going there for 10 years now and he's never let me down.
Yeah, Ive got some dealer horror stories but I wont bore you with details.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:39:14 PM »
Cliffs Cycle  (360-377-5568) in Bremerton has been good to me.  The service manager (Chris) owns a 14 and they have a mechanic who's been wrenching for quite some time.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:52 PM »
Since the thread is started, and I know there are quite a few northern virgina riders here:

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the general vicinity of Manassas?  I know of one on the east side of Manassas but aren't particularly pleased with them.  I'm not too afraid to go just about anywhere on the VA side of DC if it's a good shop.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
if you DO find a good shop dont forget to take care of the guy that works on your bike .Some cash in his pocket helps get you to the front of the line next time you need some work done. Hell, i even send Xmas presents .
Never ever take parts in their shop that  you bought somewhere else .Customers that do this they really dont want to deal with.
Just a few things Ive learned hanging around bike shops for 40 years.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
if you DO find a good shop dont forget to take care of the guy that works on your bike.

+1...

I have a great guy that works on my bikes and I always take good care of him. The shop is a dealership so I don't think actual cash in the pocket would be appropriate but I usually always give him things like movie passes and restaurant gift cards for him to take his family out or something after doing a big job on my bikes. Keep in mind that the tech's are hourly, they aren't making any commission working on your bike vs others, my guy does great work and it's always very sano, so I'm happy to hook em up and show the love...

:thumbs:

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
OK, I live in Redmond Washington...can anyone recommend a good mechanic on the "Eastside" (of Lake Washington)...thanks for any advice
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
Is North Kingstown, RI too far east? The local dealer has some really excellent mechanics but it would be a long ride for you.... at least 48 hours in my experience.  :o

Brian

OK, I live in Redmond Washington...can anyone recommend a good mechanic on the "Eastside" (of Lake Washington)...thanks for any advice
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Joncon11

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
Is North Kingstown, RI too far east? The local dealer has some really excellent mechanics but it would be a long ride for you.... at least 48 hours in my experience.  :o

Brian

RAZEE!!!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
Dat's dem! Outstanding dealership with professional mechanics, service writers, parts personell and even sales staff. They have been around and owned by the same family since 1947 and they are in business for the long haul.

I have also had good experience with New England Cycle Works in Groton, CT. A similar situation with a family owned business that takes the long view.

Too bad some folks have such trouble finding good Japanese motorcycle service when we have two w/in 30 miles of each other.

Brian

RAZEE!!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Joncon11

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
Dat's dem! Outstanding dealership with professional mechanics, service writers, parts personell and even sales staff. They have been around and owned by the same family since 1947 and they are in business for the long haul.

I have also had good experience with New England Cycle Works in Groton, CT. A similar situation with a family owned business that takes the long view.

Too bad some folks have such trouble finding good Japanese motorcycle service when we have two w/in 30 miles of each other.

Brian

Good folks there for sure, I bought my first Ducati there. When I had my SV650 there was a mechanic (not a dealer) in Newport that helped me get it ready for the track, VERY good mechanic. He was behind Newport Cycle on West Broadway. Dealers are in it for the money, Indy Mechanics do it because they enjoy it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
Sure!  Make a day of it and take the ferry accross the Sound!  The shop is about 3-4 miles from the Ferry and since the shop is accross from PSNS you will see some of our old fighting war ships :)