Author Topic: ZX14 seat on a C14 - Not yet  (Read 8870 times)

Offline rambuck

ZX14 seat on a C14 - Not yet
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
After reading many posts that a ZX14 seat will mount right on a C-14 with just swapping the rear bracket......... well.......

I just received a ZX14 Corbin that I bought from a member here.  I must be missing something.  First, the rear bracket.... on the ZX14, it's mounted with 2 bolts.  My '09 C14 is only 1 bolt in the center.  There is a hole in the ZX 14 seat, so I tried to tap and put a bolt in with my C14 bracket, but it won't latch.  In looking underneath the seat, it appears that there are 2 rubber pads on the rear of the ZX14 seat pan that is hitting the back of my C14 body work and will not allow the seat to be pressed down enough to latch.
So, anyone else ran into this?  The easy solution would appear to be to trim those rubber pads, however, my concern is that if something else then prevents this seat from latching, then I just knocked down the value of a perfectly good Corbin seat.  I would just remove those pads, but they are riveted on.

Do the newer C-14s use a 2 bolt bracket at the rear?  Or have others just had success with the ZX14 rear bracket?  I tried the ZX14 bracket by itself, and it fit the receiver and DOES latch.  However, I just can't get the seat pan pressed down enough to see if it lines up properly, in case I DO trim those rubber pads.

Any insight is appreciated.

I sure like the feel of this seat, would have to have to sell it.  lol
Dave
2009 C-14 Black
2002 ZZR 1200 - The Fast colour

Offline rambuck

Re: ZX14 seat on a C14 - Not yet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
Well, with some effort, using the ZX14 rear bracket, I could get the seat to feel like it latches, by using a screwdriver to "assist" those rubber pads clear the frame/body.  However, it is not completely latching.  Once you sit on it, it pops right back up.  argghhhh.  I love the feel of the seat...    Go figure.
May try shimming the bracket a bit.  Getting closer.  doesn't seem like anyone else has had this much trouble getting the ZX14 seat to fit? 
Dave
2009 C-14 Black

Offline rambuck

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Eh, shimming didn't work.

For visual reference, ZX14 latch:

C14: 

Does a different year C14 use the 2 bolt latch with the same latch as the 09 C14?
Dave
2009 C-14 Black

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
Dave, I can't help you with the seat but I couldn't leave you here talking to yourself any longer. Keep at it and maybe someone will be along that can help. Good luck.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
Dave, I can't help you with the seat but I couldn't leave you here talking to yourself any longer.

LOL!!!

What a way to break the tension :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
Dave, I can't help you with the seat but I couldn't leave you here talking to yourself any longer. Keep at it and maybe someone will be along that can help. Good luck.

I don't care what terrible things these other folks say about you 'Pink, you're a sweetheart. You've inspired shamed me into going out to the garage and take some side by side photos for Dave (which may or may not be any help since neither my C14 seat nor my ZX14 seat are made by Corbin).

stay tuned....

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
Dave, I can't help you with the seat but I couldn't leave you here talking to yourself any longer.

;D :chugbeer:

Offline rambuck

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »

lol, classic.  Yeah, that thought was crossing my mind.  Was actually trying to answer questions before they were asked, but I love it.  ;-)
Dave
2009 C-14 Black

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »
OK, here's what I can offer. (not much) The C14 seat (in my case 2010 model) and an Ebay ZX14 replacement seat seem
identical except for, the vinyl cover material; the mid seat attachment points; the gray foam under the C14 seat; and the strap on the ZX14 seat.
It may appear that the C14 rear most latch is bent different, but in this case it isn't. I just couldn't find a cleaned
up enough spot in my messy garage to get both seats at the exact same angle.  ::)
I think most of your problems may have to do with the seat being a Corbin rather than it being for a ZX14. However I
have no actual experience with any Corbin products. Good Luck Dave!
(click pic for full size link)

Offline rambuck

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  Yeah, those look about identical. 
And that is what I was expecting.  Well, in theory.......... it sounded good.

Last question:  In looking at your pics and what I see on the bike, the ZX14 seat leaves a bit of a gap at the rear, height wise between the seat bottom and the rear cowling/body.  I see the foam on your C14 seat as well as mine, that appears to provide some protection for the elements.  While I don't fancy riding in the rain, I usually end up in some nasty weather on trips.  I had read somewhere about self adhesive foam weather stripping, but am reluctant.  So, have you had any issues with the ZX 14 seat on the bike during rain and pouring water under the saddle?  Looks prone to that.

Thanks again. 

Pink, thanks again for not leaving me talking to myself.........   ;D
Dave
2009 C-14 Black

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »
 :chugbeer:

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
cool pix. Seat pans look very similar with modifications for each bike specifically. Great job documenting. This forum is the bomb.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline rambuck

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
Finally got it to latch.  Just shimmed it more and it latched and fits pretty well.  Went on a nice ride today, but not sure this is what I am looking for.  Sure as hell beats the stock saddle though.
Dave
2009 C-14 Black

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Last question:  In looking at your pics and what I see on the bike, the ZX14 seat leaves a bit of a gap at the rear, height wise between the seat bottom and the rear cowling/body.  I see the foam on your C14 seat as well as mine, that appears to provide some protection for the elements.  While I don't fancy riding in the rain, I usually end up in some nasty weather on trips.  I had read somewhere about self adhesive foam weather stripping, but am reluctant.  So, have you had any issues with the ZX 14 seat on the bike during rain and pouring water under the saddle?  Looks prone to that.

I haven't had the ZX14 seat in the rain yet, however I think that the black plastic piece just under the rear of where the seat goes
is pretty effective at channeling any water that gets by the seat away from the electrics.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
Finally got it to latch.  Just shimmed it more and it latched and fits pretty well.  Went on a nice ride today, but not sure this is what I am looking for.  Sure as hell beats the stock saddle though.
Glad you got it. You're right about the ball buster stocker. A company called Techspec makes very nice tank pads that keep your knees from sliding on the tank which helps keep the jewels intact.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
I seem to recall it requires nothing more than swapping the under-seat mounting brackets using the C14 brackets on the ZX14 seat. Lew

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
Guys I just got a Saddleman and couldn't latch the rear either.  Dave - just shim it.  I put a bolt under it, moving it about 1/4 lower, and it now snaps/clicks right in.  I used a bolt under it - it's not a high-stress area, and it's definitely solid enough.  It does not support your weight or give/take structural integrity.
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline toxxic

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
Any idea, what year ZX14 seats fit a 2008 C14? I am having the same problem the OP had with getting it to latch and I have tried all kinds of shims. Starting to look like I may need s customer made bracket.

I bought a Corbin ZX14 seat on eBay which was listed as being for a 2012-2015.

Offline Delfox

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
Why not remove the cover and padding and re-rivet it

Offline toxxic

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
The Corbins come with a custom pan. Doubt you could attach it to a stock plastic pan.