Author Topic: Lowering question for my C14  (Read 2600 times)

wcgreen

Lowering question for my C14
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
I've found a slightly used Muzzy lowering kit I am thinking of getting.  They fit all model years of the C14?  I'm 6'4'', yes, but till I got this bike, had only rode cruisers and I would like a little lower center of gravity for my riding style.  Do you have to get a shorter kickstand with lowering, or is it just recommended?
Thanks!
Billy
Modify message

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Lowering question for my C14
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »
I've found a slightly used Muzzy lowering kit I am thinking of getting.  They fit all model years of the C14?

Yes

I'm 6'4'', yes, but till I got this bike, had only rode cruisers and I would like a little lower center of gravity for my riding style.

Standing height is irrelevant on a bike... only the individual measurements (torso length, leg length, arm length) when discussing various aspects (comfort, windscreen, lowering, etc).  Although with that type of height, it is likely you have way long enough legs to not be required to lower the bike (unless you are way, way more out of proportion than even I am).

Do you have to get a shorter kickstand with lowering, or is it just recommended?

If using the fixed 1" and lowered correctly (front and back), it is required (unless you don't mind the bike falling over)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:13 AM »
Consider riding the bike long enough to get used to the it was designed to be ridden. It's top heavy...if you lower it it'll still be top heavy. You'll have gained nothing and lost ground clearance.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm frugal so I modified both my side and center stands after lowering.
Correction; I bought used stands and modified those. Stock stands still available if I opt to raise the bike.
But, I like it lowered!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »
Consider riding the bike long enough to get used to the it was designed to be ridden. It's top heavy...if you lower it it'll still be top heavy. You'll have gained nothing and lost ground clearance.

Agreed
I personally would not recommend lowering the C14 unless it was necessary.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Gotcha... Yeah, it was really for making the bike look a little longer and not as top heaving... I have plenty of leg... Just getting use to the feel as I was a BIG cruiser rider the past 20 years.  Im just gonna keep it as-is.  Thinking of adding the vance and hines to give it a little more throat at lower speeds.  Love the sound of that pipe.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Gotcha... Yeah, it was really for making the bike look a little longer and not as top heaving... I have plenty of leg... Just getting use to the feel as I was a BIG cruiser rider the past 20 years.  Im just gonna keep it as-is. 

The C14 is a tall and top-heavy bike.  That feeling goes away as soon as it is moving beyond parking lot speed, though.  I am sure it will take some getting used to... but once you do, you will quickly appreciate how much more control you have compared to riding a lounge chair :)