Author Topic: Hello from colorful Colorado  (Read 2087 times)

Offline rabbi_70

Hello from colorful Colorado
« on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:40 AM »
Hi everyone, just a little note to say thank you for such an awesome forum. I have a new-to-me 2012 Concours 14 with 32K on the clock. I call her, affectionately, Big Bertha.  Reading reviews on the bike before I purchased her left me a little intimidated - but I am glad the seller allowed a test ride. She carries her weight lower than i expected so she falls into corners easily, I can flat foot it (Im 5'11"), and she purrs like a kitten. Now if only I could get her on the center stand without using a 4X2 Id be as pleased as pie. My previous love affair was with a VFR (RWB anniversary) but she was like an Italian supermodel - in such pristine condition that I was afraid of scratching her - or even looking at her the wrong way. I sold her in anticipation of an out-of-state move next year, but I couldn't miss riding this summer so I got Big Bertha. The only thing i changed is removing the ugly canister exhaust slip on and putting in a dual outlet (sounds amazing and, in my opinion, looks a lot cleaner). She is honestly restoring my love for riding without the anxiety. Not sure what happens when I move but for now I think I really like me a big girl. :-)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: Hello from colorful Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:34:36 AM »
Welcome to the club!  Man, that shorty exhaust must scream!  :yikes:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rabbi_70

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 10:48:12 AM »
Thank you guys. Yep - that shorty sounds sweet.  8)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 04:29:44 AM »
Welcome  ;D
If you can't get her onto the centerstand she may have been lowered.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline rabbi_70

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »
Thanks Boomer, she is indeed lowered.  The guy I got her from though was a fluffy look-a-like (the comedian), small in stature .. and he was moving the bike around and putting her on the center stand (while wearing flip-flops) like she didn't weigh a thing. I'm a lot larger and a little more muscular (and my VFR was pretty easy to do the same with) so I figured Id be able to without any issues. Boy was I wrong. I have new respect for the fluffy dude. :-)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 03:13:28 PM »
Welcome, rabbi. :chugbeer:
They can be a horse to put on the center stand but it's all about technique.
Others will fill you in on the easiest way about it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 06:20:26 PM »
I suggest raising the bike.  At 5' -11", you should be fine with it at stock height.
The stock Links can be purchased on Ebay relatively EZ, and the front forks should only be an adjustment.

I like the look of your mufflers, but have a thought or 2....

1; To my eye, your mufflers are upside down.
On every muffler like that, {that I've seen} the point is at the top...
For instance;  https://delkevic.com/dl10-stubby-14-carbon-fiber-round-muffler-to-fit-concours-1400-2008-2021/

With point at top; It prevents water from accumulating on the lower lip, and rusting out the muffler.
More importantly; As you have it installed, the tip will direct the heat more "up"..
UP can be BAD!!! (see below)

2: Important; If the upper muffler directs it's exhaust flow upwards, (towards your rear bag hinge) do not ride the bike again until you inspect the rear hinge..
ie; If the heat is directed at the rear hinge,,,  the exhaust heat "can melt" the plastic hinge. [on a long (or enthusiastic) ride].

Ride safe, Ted

Offline rabbi_70

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 03:00:46 PM »
Thank you Connie_Rider. The connectors only fit the one way so it is correct. LOL. I  have rode it extensively since the pic and no heat on the bottom of the bag (one ride was 4 hours straight).

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 06:36:34 PM »
Ok, certainly not knocking the looks. Just making observations.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline rabbi_70

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 08:43:16 AM »
No worries mate, and no offense taken. Im too old for that. :-). This is my 14th bike in 40+ years of riding- never met a rider that didnt mean well. Its why we ride.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
About 8 of us rode Colorado last year. (Couldn't do rallies because of the Pandemic, so we called our event the Un-Rally)
We based in Durango. Covered a lot of area.
Have a good friend in Montrose. (Steve)
If your ever out that way, might ride with him.
He really knows the roads out there..

Ride safe, Ted