Author Topic: Crashed and now won't start  (Read 3307 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Crashed and now won't start
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 07:50:42 AM »
I appreciate this discussion. I have been riding regularly since 1970. I quit getting my bikes inspected when I brought my 1982 VF750 Sabre to an inspection station. The young kid that was going to do the inspection started to mount my bike. I asked him if he had ever ridden a bike and he replied: "no". I took the bike and left. Since then I have been stopped quite a few times for speeding and never have I been asked by a LEO to show an inspection sticker.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
Has anyone rebuilt the clutch maSter cylinder? All Balls Racing has a front rebuild kit for $22. I have a spare clutch master that stopped working, I swapped it for the one from my parts bike which is the one cracked in the crash. So all I need is a rebuild kit.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 06:52:15 PM »
Yes - it's easy to do. I've used the AllBalls kit. Ensure the bore has no crud stuck in there.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 05:55:25 AM »
I appreciate this discussion. I have been riding regularly since 1970. I quit getting my bikes inspected when I brought my 1982 VF750 Sabre to an inspection station. The young kid that was going to do the inspection started to mount my bike. I asked him if he had ever ridden a bike and he replied: "no". I took the bike and left. Since then I have been stopped quite a few times for speeding and never have I been asked by a LEO to show an inspection sticker.

In NH it is a $74.40 ticket for an uninspected vehicle.  The police do check for those inspection stickers, I have been pulled over for it before.  They also patrol high traffic areas like the toll booths and popular beach routes looking for them.

I hope you get everything fixed and are back to riding soon.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2022, 03:37:01 AM »
In Germany the annual TüV inspections are the strictest in the world and even they don't care if you use a Kawasaki fairing part or an aftermarket part.
If it was a brake, suspension, or emissions affecting part then it would have to meet TüV standards and Type Approval laws.

I've rebuilt a C10 Clutch Master cylinder and that wasn't difficult. The C14 one shouldn't be any worse.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2022, 05:37:05 AM »
The only thing with the clutch fluid is bleeding it.  Can be a bear to do, especially empty.  I think in that case I'd get a push bleeder syringe and bleed it back from the slave cylinder.  I watched a youtube vid from Delboy and that's what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmY9FMbB9D8
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline dbird29

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »
I watched that one and the only thing I would do different is use a turkey baster for removing the reservoir fluid.
Brakecrafters has a kit for $14
https://www.brakecrafters.com/products/reverse-bleeding-kit

The only thing with the clutch fluid is bleeding it.  Can be a bear to do, especially empty.  I think in that case I'd get a push bleeder syringe and bleed it back from the slave cylinder.  I watched a youtube vid from Delboy and that's what he did.

2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2022, 08:59:27 AM »

I have never had any problems bleeding clutch or brake with my Motion Pro bleeder. The Cycle Gear in Wichita did not carry the Motion Pro but had a Stockton bleeder which looked like a copy.
However, I could never get any real pumping pressure to get the bleeder to work. The clucth resorvoir is cracked. We tried to seal it with JB weld in the gas station parking lot but it seams like it did not work. I think the master cylinder is sucking air. The bike is still at my son's place in Wichita 750 miles away and I am still hobbling around on a bad ankle.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2022, 09:06:55 AM »
Also, I want to give high praise to AMA Roadside Assistance. I was in the middle of nowhere Kansas (Dighton) The AMA agent Beth worked with me over the phone for 45 minutes before she could find a towing company that would tow the bike to Wichita 210 miles away. The only company that would do it was Kidds Towing in Wichita. The roadside assistance plan will tow 35 miles for free. AMA only charged me $75!

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Good to know Lather! I haven't used AMA road side assistance yet but glad to know they will come through. 

Was the $75 a flat fee for whatever mileage, or is that based on the remaining miles after using the free 35 miles?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2022, 11:36:26 AM »
I have never had any problems bleeding clutch or brake with my Motion Pro bleeder. The Cycle Gear in Wichita did not carry the Motion Pro but had a Stockton bleeder which looked like a copy.
However, I could never get any real pumping pressure to get the bleeder to work. The clucth resorvoir is cracked. We tried to seal it with JB weld in the gas station parking lot but it seams like it did not work. I think the master cylinder is sucking air. The bike is still at my son's place in Wichita 750 miles away and I am still hobbling around on a bad ankle.

With an empty clutch reservoir?   I use the motion pro as well but never on an empty clutch master cylinder.  We've had a few horror stories with bleeding new setups.  And you do have history of 'things' happening...lol
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2022, 04:27:18 PM »
Good to know Lather! I haven't used AMA road side assistance yet but glad to know they will come through. 

Was the $75 a flat fee for whatever mileage, or is that based on the remaining miles after using the free 35 miles?
I did not ask if it was a flat fee or a per miles deal, I was kinda stunned it was so low for a 210 mile tow.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2022, 04:30:36 PM »

With an empty clutch reservoir?   I use the motion pro as well but never on an empty clutch master cylinder.  We've had a few horror stories with bleeding new setups.  And you do have history of 'things' happening...lol
No, I bought a bottle of DOT3 at the store and filled it up. It did not seem to be leaking fluid but maybe it was sucking air. At any rate it would not build any pressure.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2022, 04:46:08 PM »
I have never had any problems bleeding clutch or brake with my Motion Pro bleeder.

Me neither.  That is what I used.  Took a while, but was pretty easy.  Never let it go dry.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dbird29

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
Watch that Delboy video, it looks so easy and makes sense that the bubbles would push out the top.

2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline PH14

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »
I did not ask if it was a flat fee or a per miles deal, I was kinda stunned it was so low for a 210 mile tow.

I was traveling and never saw this. Sorry to hear, but I'm glad you're okay and only had minor injuries.

I used AMA for my Ural one night. It took them forever to arrange a tow. I got a brain dead person when I called. After waiting a couple of hours I called back and got someone better. She said since I had been waiting I could arrange my own tow and they would reimburse me. I called a company I trust near my house. The dispatcher told me they had been called about my tow, but AMA was shopping for prices and didn't arrange the tow. I arranged the tow and the quickly sent out a flatbed. The tow for about 5-8 miles was $140, so you did very well at a flat rate of $75 for 210 miles. AMA reimbursed me for the full amount without any hassle.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »
I drove back to Wichita over the weekend and hauled my injured Concours home. Adjuster came today and totaled it. I am going to try to get it running smoothly and make sure the engine is not damaged from overheating. The adjuster suggested it may be in "limp mode". At any rate when I turn on the ignition the display says "BATTERY" voltmeter says 12.85 volts. When I crank it is strugges to fire but eventually does afert  20 or 30 seconds but then does not want to idle. I have ordered sparkplugs.

If I can satisfy myself that the engine is good I will probably buy it back.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2022, 07:09:06 AM »
I've decided to let the old girl go. I suspect the engine was damaged by overheating, just does not want to start, seems to be fireing on only two cylinders. At any rate, at 70 I feel like it is time to slow down and go with something lighter.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2022, 08:50:18 AM »
RIP Connie  :'(
Hope you find something more suitable  :D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline dbird29

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2022, 09:03:09 AM »
Sure wish Honda would bring the NT1100 to the US

I've decided to let the old girl go. I suspect the engine was damaged by overheating, just does not want to start, seems to be fireing on only two cylinders. At any rate, at 70 I feel like it is time to slow down and go with something lighter.
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750