Author Topic: 2001 C10 For Sale in SW N. Dakota  (Read 2442 times)

Offline scoobynut

2001 C10 For Sale in SW N. Dakota
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
First, allow me to apologize for having a For Sale ad as my first post to the forum.  I have been a lurker for a while, but unfortunately circumstances dictate I sell the bike, so I thought I'd offer it here first so it might go to a good home. 

As the subject line states, I have a 2001 Concours for sale, miles are 38,500.  Cosmetically I'd say it's very good to excellent, especially for a 10 year old.  There are a few very minor touched-in scratches on the right side panel and front fender, but they were touched up nicely so they aren't very noticeable at all.  The scratches seem to be only storage scratches, not deep scratches from a drop or accident.  One of the side-cases has some gouges, but I don't see any evidence the bike has ever been down -- no cracked bodywork or scratches to hard parts evident anywhere.  Title is clear and not a salvage or repaired title.   The only mods to the bike are a front fender mudflap, a Givi windshield in the stock size and also Murph's kits bar-riser blocks (Givi and riser blocks not shown in photos, but are now installed).   I have only owned the bike 2 months or so, so I don't really know it's history other than I am the 3rd owner -- I bought it from the second owner who bought it used in 2002 when it had 2k miles on it. 

Mechanically, I just spent $850 on new front and rear Shenko radials, new fork seals and oil, new spark plugs, new air filter, a carb synch, valve adjust and changing rear diff fluid.  The motor oil and filter were also changed.  I have the receipt for all the work done.  I have taken two 200 mile trips on the bike without incident.  However, there are couple of issues remaining.  The mechanic who did all the work mentioned told me that the cams have pitting, which I gather is not too uncommon on these bikes.  There is also an oil leak coming from somewhere forward of, and apparently below, the driveshaft rubber boot.  It doesn't appear to be anything related to the driveshaft, but I haven't exactly pinpointed the source of the leak.  In any case, it is certainly motor oil.  Not leaking like a sieve, but will leak some large drops when the oil is really hot and if bike is left on sidestand.  I have also noticed there is a good layer of what appears to be leakage-related gunk gathered in the belly pan and some likely related gunk on the forward part of the swingarm and suspension dogbones.  I haven't taken the time to pinpoint the leak and I'm a little baffled that the dealer service dept. didn't comment on it, but then again it doesn't leak when the bike is cold and just sitting.  The bike does sound healthy and pulls strong despite these two issues.  I took one of the 200 mile trips on it (returning from Kawasaki dealer) this past Sunday and actually really do like this bike a lot. 

I have a '12 Super Tenere on order and bought the Connie as something I could tour on this summer once I learned the Super Tens would be delayed until November due to the tsunami earlier in the year.  Well, they've now moved the ship date up to August, so I have to sell this and some other bikes to help pay for it.  If I didn't have the new bike on the way, I would just bite the bullet and get the repairs done, but frankly, I'm already going to lose my butt on this bike when you factor in the money I've already spent on it -- the $850 service bill, the $100 Givi windscreen and the $50 riser blocks -- but such is life.  I just need it gone and need to recover some, but not nearly all, the money I have into it.  I was thinking $2250.  No additional charge for the ultra-cool Evel Knievel sticker on right side panel!  I will also throw in a OEM oil filter and an OEM fuel tap (original is working fine with no leakage, but was going to have a new one put on as a precaution); and also a set of Progressive front fork springs, neither of which I had the chance to have installed yet.  If anyone thinks that price is out of line, let me know and I will consider your comments.  I am willing to store the bike until the Fall if you can't pick it up immediately and will try to maintain battery in the meantime. 

Lastly, thanks and feel free to contact me if you are interested.  Oh, and I will be out of computer contact from July 21st through the 24th, but will answer any inquiries when I return.

UPDATE:  I will be bringing the bike to a friend's shop that has a bike lift, hopefully within the next week, to take a look and try and pinpoint the oil leak mentioned above.  We will be pulling the bodywork to get a better look.   I know it would give me pause if I was looking at a bike that had an un-diagnosed oil leak.  Will keep you posted.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:41:25 AM by scoobynut »

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: 2001 C10 For Sale in SW N. Dakota
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
I love that blue... what town in SW ND are you in?  I used to live in Fargo and ran a vending route between 12 in SD and I94 in ND.  I have some relatives in Hettinger.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »
That's a right price, shouldn't last long. How 'bout a review on the Yammie when ya get it?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
I love that blue... what town in SW ND are you in?  I used to live in Fargo and ran a vending route between 12 in SD and I94 in ND.  I have some relatives in Hettinger.

Necron, I live in Dickinson, but grew up in Minot, my dad retired from the Air Force in Minot.  Hettinger's about an hour from here, I bought a car from the dealer there from a guy named Bill Wahner I think it was.  Maybe you're related to him?

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »
That's a right price, shouldn't last long. How 'bout a review on the Yammie when ya get it?

Thanks, nice to know someone thinks the price isn't too out of line.  It's hard to price a bike that still has a few 'needs,' but with the new bike on the way I can't see much reason to hold out for the price I'd really like to get. 

I'll be sure to give a review of the Super Ten when it arrives.  I'm heading out to Butte, MT, for Evel Knievel Days this Thursday, and I'd love to take the Concours, but I just can't bring myself to do it with that oil leak.  So once again I'm taking my KLR650, which along with the Concours, will be replaced by the Super Ten.  I have to say, though, in just my brief time with the Concours, the thing got under my skin a bit.  After travelling way too much this year on a KLR, the Concours is a comfy rocketship by comparison -- not that the KLR lacks character, but it do lack a lot of comfy rocketship ingredients!   :D

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:00:33 AM »
No relation.  The last bike I got in ND I bought from a dealer in Dickinson...Queen City Motors.  No idea if they're even still open.  Good luck with the Tenere!  I test rode one and I think I'm going to wait for someone to not like the one they bought!  I was impressed.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:17 AM »
Yep Queen City is still open, but they mostly sell cars now.  The bike dealer is owned by the same people, but now called Honda West. They still have the same dingy little service department -- I take my bikes up to Minot for any major services if I can swing it...

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
UPDATE:  I will be bringing the bike to a friend's shop that has a bike lift, hopefully within the next week, to take a look and try and pinpoint the oil leak mentioned above.  We will be pulling the bodywork to get a better look.   I know it would give me pause if I was looking at a bike that had an un-diagnosed oil leak.  Will keep you posted.