Author Topic: Aftermarket Myth – Cold air intake  (Read 2080 times)

Offline TjTexasJack

Aftermarket Myth – Cold air intake
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »
Need to replace air ducts on my dakota. These do what they say or are they just purdy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

What ya say guys?

Ride safe, Keep sharp

Tj

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Aftermarket Myth – Cold air intake
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:53:02 AM »
They do give a small amount of horse power increase and maybe some increase in mpg if they are designed SPECIFICALLY for your vehicle.  They usually look pretty cool.  You will probably hear your intake sound now when you accelerate.  Some installs are easy, some are hard.  For every day street use you're probably just throwing money away for the amount you gain.  However, you said you need to replace your air ducts so that would be money off the price of a kit.  In other words, how much more would it cost or is it even cheaper to get a kit.  I think I would stick with the kit from K&N if available.

Make sure they are not eliminating the "hot" air intake if your vehicle has one.  This would be an intake hose that runs to the exhaust manifold to get hot air to assist in engine warm ups and cold weather driving.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
What year Dak? My 92 doesn't have a manifold heated tube on it.
It already has a cold air intake on it from the factory.  It just isn't as large as anaftermarket unit and most of them aren't really a CAI. About the only diff is the relocation of the filter from the top of the throttle body to the end of the tube. The reason you can hear the intake better? It isn't taking in air from outside the engine compartment.
Go to the junk yard and get replacement parts for a fraction of the cost.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:41 AM »
My 91 (V8) does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
Yep, just took a gander at the shop manual. 91 and earlier has it.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!