Author Topic: BMW HP4  (Read 3833 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
BMW HP4
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
got one for the long weekend (Wednesday afternoon until Monday morning) and I'm psyched. I don't know if I'll survive, but I started in Rain mode and I could handle the power, so I switched to Sport mode (aka Rest in Pieces mode) and I'm having a blast ridiculing anything, and I mean anything else on the Autobahn, 4 or 2 wheels.

I caught an empty straight stretch yesterday, 3 lanes, no traffic, so I gunned it. I felt like Han Solo in the Millenium Falcon, just faster. That thing only starts opening up at 130 mph, and at 160 the engine feels like it's not even trying and there's tons more to come. I run out of balls guts at 170 :o but I don't want to test my luck. Got to try the Race mode...

On the curves, this thing can lean like if there was no gravity. It's insane in every aspect. Luggage capacity is impressive too. You can take a whole tooth brush, not the electric ones, mind you.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Re: BMW HP4
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
193 hp
439 lbs

That almost says it all.....speed safely!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
 :rotflmao: Nice!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
Awesome!!!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
I need one......

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:31:48 PM »
I'm glad you can't find any for sale.  I doubt I'm smart enough to walk away.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
Need one hell. I want one.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »
I just gave back the beast. This morning, when I walked up to her in the parking, I found myself grinning like an idiot, and this grin has gotten bigger every day I spent with this bike.

The most amazing part was the fuel consumption. I managed similar levels than with my C14, but driving at least 30 mph faster. I did Munich-Stuttgart (150 miles) in about 95 minutes. Half of that is construction site and the speed limit is 50, and the other half is 3 lanes de-restricted and at times I was doing 170. Brilliant bike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yesterday night, knowing that it was my last drive with it, I practiced a couple of launches. The first one I failed with the revs (too low) but the second one more or less nailed it. Well, let's say warp speed it's not science fiction...  :yikes: That thing hits 100 mph in 150 yards or so (I was hanging on for my life, so don't quote me on that) and keeps on accelerating with a fury that is difficult to put in words. It's downright terrifying and at the same time satisfying.

Offline pistole

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:41 AM »
I just gave back the beast. This morning, when I walked up to her in the parking, I found myself grinning like an idiot, and this grin has gotten bigger every day I spent with this bike.

The most amazing part was the fuel consumption. I managed similar levels than with my C14, but driving at least 30 mph faster. I did Munich-Stuttgart (150 miles) in about 95 minutes. Half of that is construction site and the speed limit is 50, and the other half is 3 lanes de-restricted and at times I was doing 170. Brilliant bike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yesterday night, knowing that it was my last drive with it, I practiced a couple of launches. The first one I failed with the revs (too low) but the second one more or less nailed it. Well, let's say warp speed it's not science fiction...  :yikes: That thing hits 100 mph in 150 yards or so (I was hanging on for my life, so don't quote me on that) and keeps on accelerating with a fury that is difficult to put in words. It's downright terrifying and at the same time satisfying.

- martin !

- I need you to explain in DETAIL , your observations about the handling of the HP4 vis the C14.

- Am desperately trying to justify buying a HP4 here and would just like your hands-on opinion about how the bikes differ since I only have the C14 (and plastic-frame'ed  FLSTC , ha) as references.

thanks in advance.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 03:26:37 AM »
- martin !

- I need you to explain in DETAIL , your observations about the handling of the HP4 vis the C14.

- Am desperately trying to justify buying a HP4 here and would just like your hands-on opinion about how the bikes differ since I only have the C14 (and plastic-frame'ed  FLSTC , ha) as references.

thanks in advance.

Pistole, I could babble and drool about it for hours, but in the end: buy it. If the money is there, and you want the best handling, best electronic assisted, and strongest motor possible, this is the bike for you. I guess I don't have to tell you how useless it is for everything else than riding a bike, whereas a C14 can take stuff, including the misses, and other bikes can ride on all terrain (GS, MultiStrada, KLR, V-Strom), or other bikes can get you through traffic (Vespa, MP3). Yes, a Panigale might look a tad better, but you'll see it in your mirrors anyway from an HP4.

So, handling: at the same speed I can do a slalom with the cones 2/3 of the distance than with the C14. There simply is no mass, and what there is, is low. Steering is aggressive but pleasant. There seems to be no limit regarding leaning. A mechanic explained me that in race mode, the traction control won't act until you reach 53° leaning angle. Fifty-three!!!

Looks: me likes it, except the stupid asymmetric design of the head lights that look like this --> :o  The side fairings are both left and right beautiful and I like that depending if I look at it from right or left I see a slightly different bike.

Chassis: no words can describe how well this bike is sorted out. At insane speeds (in my book, anything above 120 mph) the "normal" S1000RR pitches when braking or accelerating. The HP4 with its trick DDC is much more taut, yet supple (in relative terms) when driving over a pothole or big street level changes (bridges, for example) or small cracks, like between concrete plates. The steering damper does its job very well and doesn't bother when not needed. I had new tires and there was a hint of wobble at 135 mph that disappeared after 100 miles use.

I had a hard time getting my gear changes right with the quick shifter, but I discovered that it is perfect to change gears on attack mode and not while cruising around. Below 6-8000 rpm it's stiff, but above that is perfect, so when cruising around I just pull the clutch from 1st to 4th. At least in my unit, 5th and 6th got in like butter.

Electronic aids: do not turn them off. Valentino Rossi might be able to survive that, but mere mortals like me will not. This bike will overcome traction in the first 3 gears for sure.

Today I did something interesting: I gave back the HP4 and 10 minutes later I had to run an errand and took the C14. I couldn't believe how hard it was to take it from the side stand on its wheels, and it was a level surface. Of course the weight disappears as soon as you move, but not completely. It still is a great bike and it does so much so well, that I wouldn't sell it for an HP4, but if I had the money I'd add it to the garage. The C14 is mighty comfortable in comparison, but I did a 300 miles stint on the HP4 without much discomfort, but it was my limit. I'm too old, I guess.

BTW, and this is for the little kid inside: parking it in front of the café and watching guys drooling over it --> for everything else there's MC  ;D

Please ask me whatever else you'd like to know and I'll try to answer or find out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:37:26 AM by martin_14 »

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
193 hp
439 lbs

That almost says it all.....speed safely!
& I thought my modified Ninja 1000 (140HP, 495lb) was fast....wow!!  That bike totally redefines fast. Awesome review...thx for sharing!
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline clogan

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
I'm trying to justify a new 1199 Panigale. For "only" $17 grand or so for the base model, you get 195 hp at 415 lbs. Like the HP4, it's clearly more bike than anyone can ever use on the street.

2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400