Author Topic: Swollen leaking oil cooler hose  (Read 6041 times)

Offline 4cedars

Swollen leaking oil cooler hose
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Just got done replacing the top oil cooler hose on my 2010 with 23,000 miles. The one that comes out of the top and connects to the water pipe.

I took the bike in the the stealer last spring for for warped rotors, leaking final drive and a coolant leak. They took care everything but the leak. Said they could not find one even though there was residue on the front of the engine >:(

So I drove it all season and watched the area where I kept seeing moisture, not enough to make it to the ground. I felt that hose was the cause of the problem.

I ordered a hose from BikeBandit and just finished up putting it on. What a pain in the A$$. I had to loosen the lower radiator mount and that gave me just enough room to come up from the bottom and work. Its the top clamp that is a real problem to loosen and tighten.

When I got the old hose off, the top 2" section that connects to the waterpipe was all swollen, festerd looking and soft :yikes:

Without a doubt this was where the leak was coming from. Hopefully this will not happen any time soon again.

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Swollen leaking oil cooler hose
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
Do you have a part number for the hose?  I'd like to see which one it was on the parts fiche.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Glad you got your "festered, swollen, soft feeling hose replaced."  Did you try a shot of penicillin first?   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
OOps, my bad, here is the part number #39062
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
Glad you got your "festered, swollen, soft feeling hose replaced."  Did you try a shot of penicillin first?   ;D

Nope, to much discharge, thought I would just try stroking it a little to finish it off ;)
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
OOps, my bad, here is the part number #39062

Actually part number 39062-0111

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/51/Year/2010/ModelID/8478/Model/Concours_14_%28ZG1400-DAF%29/GroupID/407601/Group/Oil_Cooler

Might not be a bad idea for us to take a look at that when the covers are off, could be endemic.  Price isn't bad on it...less than $10.  I would think it would be a warranty item, though.  Looks like it is a common part to all of our bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
Bikebandit did not use the extended part # on their parts list

It should have been a warranty issue but felt it was not worth the hour drive over to the dealer twice. They did not get it the first time so I took care of it myself. Like you said it was only a few dollars.                   John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
Bikebandit did not use the extended part # on their parts list

It should have been a warranty issue but felt it was not worth the hour drive over to the dealer twice. They did not get it the first time so I took care of it myself. Like you said it was only a few dollars.                   John

that's understandable, but you need to understand that when problems like these occur, it is only the returns to dealer that drives service notations, and probable future tech notices / recalls / redesign / problem correction.
Just to be sure you understand that those of us that bought first year bikes were very diligent in making sure the factory knew ALL the failures and shortcomings....this is why todays production has so few problematic "bugs". ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
And, quite frankly, this is the first time we've heard of this on this forum.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
And, quite frankly, this is the first time we've heard of this on this forum.

Yup!!!!!! 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:20:05 PM »
that's understandable, but you need to understand that when problems like these occur, it is only the returns to dealer that drives service notations, and probable future tech notices / recalls / redesign / problem correction.
Just to be sure you understand that those of us that bought first year bikes were very diligent in making sure the factory knew ALL the failures and shortcomings....this is why todays production has so few problematic "bugs". ;)

MOB, with all due respect, just so you understand, I have absolutely NO interest in taking my motorcycle to the nearest dealer, which is just over an hour away, getting a ride home, and waiting for them to get the Ok for warranty work. Then getting a ride back to the dealer and riding home. After all, it was there once already for this problem. And for the record, I would not hesitate to take the bike in for warranty issues. But I do have to weigh the distance verses the length of time I am without the bike and what the issue is. This last time they had the unit for 17 calender days. Unacceptable

I did a thorough search on both Concours sites and was unable to locate any posts related to this issue.

I felt it was an extremely isolated issue and decided to fix it myself since I had all the plastics off.

I even contemplated not posting anything about it at all, but decided to post up so others could at least make a point to look in on the left side and see if there was any moisture in that location or if the hose was showing signs of deformation.

I am sure, with all due respect, those of you that had first years production bikes had issues the same as owners of every new model of every mode of transportation ever made, just as I have. Just open a copy of Consumer Reports Used Vehicle Guide and you are able to see exactly when a new design of a model came out :o

John

IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
MOB, with all due respect, just so you understand, I have absolutely NO interest in taking my motorcycle to the nearest dealer, which is just over an hour away, getting a ride home, and waiting for them to get the Ok for warranty work. Then getting a ride back to the dealer and riding home. After all, it was there once already for this problem. And for the record, I would not hesitate to take the bike in for warranty issues. But I do have to weigh the distance verses the length of time I am without the bike and what the issue is. This last time they had the unit for 17 calender days. Unacceptable

I did a thorough search on both Concours sites and was unable to locate any posts related to this issue.

I felt it was an extremely isolated issue and decided to fix it myself since I had all the plastics off.

I even contemplated not posting anything about it at all, but decided to post up so others could at least make a point to look in on the left side and see if there was any moisture in that location or if the hose was showing signs of deformation.

I am sure, with all due respect, those of you that had first years production bikes had issues the same as owners of every new model of every mode of transportation ever made, just as I have. Just open a copy of Consumer Reports Used Vehicle Guide and you are able to see exactly when a new design of a model came out :o

John

Nothing wrong with this, I'd do the same thing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with this, I'd do the same thing.

+1 yup.
Will

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
But how do you really feel?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
But how do you really feel?

:battle:     :)
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
Thanks 4cedars, will add to my check list.....BTW how has your fuel cell worked out?
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
It would have to be a major defect or failure before I let a stealer look at my bike. Warranty or not.
I just don't trust them around my bike.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
You know, that's really ashame to say that about Kwak dealers.  I have done most of my work simply to avoid the hassle of dealing with them or riding nearly an hour to get to one I do trust....course my original dealer has gone out of business.  There really isn't any quality control within the dealer system that I'm aware of from Kwak. 

I think it would be beneficial to Kwak to have some sort of certification and customer satisfaction targets at a minimum to be a factory dealer.   I would be more inclined to use a dealer if something like that was in place.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
It would have to be a major defect or failure before I let a stealer look at my bike. Warranty or not.
I just don't trust them around my bike.

+1, if you want something done right...

You know, that's really ashame to say that about Kwak dealers.  I have done most of my work simply to avoid the hassle of dealing with them or riding nearly an hour to get to one I do trust....course my original dealer has gone out of business.  There really isn't any quality control within the dealer system that I'm aware of from Kwak. 

I think it would be beneficial to Kwak to have some sort of certification and customer satisfaction targets at a minimum to be a factory dealer.   I would be more inclined to use a dealer if something like that was in place.

Great idea Jim.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Thanks 4cedars, will add to my check list.....BTW how has your fuel cell worked out?

Blanton, did you happen to see the write up I done for this site for the aux tank install on the 08 and up

Once I figured out the flow problem it worked out fantastic.

Tossing around making up a mock up of a Dean Tanji style cell with a flatbed on top for my bags and whatever else I would need to carry. This would get the fuel weight more forward and down a little lower, since that style sits over the passenger area of the seat. He makes an awsome tank for the FJR but is understandably pretty pricey.

I could do the mock up but will have to get a friend of mine to fab it. I don't weld aluminum

John

IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant