Author Topic: Warranty - Pulsating Rotors, TPMS and engine smoke at start up. Remove PC5?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
Various questions about my 2008 C14 NON ABS w/ 12k miles, feel free to take a stab at any of them. Thanks in advance. Mainly should I remove my PC5 before possible warranty work?

1.) DEALERS? - Any recommendations for dealers? Anyone to stay away from? Seattle , WA area.

2.) WARPED ROTORS? -I have noticed a pulsating feel in my front NON ABS breaks for about a year now. Not bad but it's there. Have always wondered if warranty would cover this.

3.) TPMS -Next my TPMS sensor is LOW BATTERY on the front now that it is getting cold.

4.) COLD START UP SMOKE NEAR ENGINE - Last I recently noticed some smoke coming up from the engine on start up. I recently changed the oil so I figured it was oil on the headers or leaking oil filter. I haven't pin pointed where it is coming from sense it only lasts about 30secs on cold start ups. What I have realized is it seems to happen more often when I use the side stand at work compared to leaving the garage in the AM with the center stand used all night. I have read of valve cover gasket leaks on the left hand side which would explain the more common smoke when heading home. But I have noticed smoke a few times in the morning after being on the center stand just far less common.
UPDATE - I just went out in the garage and had to lay down on my back and look up through the lower fairing but could see there is a oil leak up there. I see oil on the tops of the headers where they bolt up to the engine. Not sure exactly where the leak is but there is oil on the engine and header. Wow, only 12k miles, no abusive revving or racing.

5.) REMOVE PC5 before warranty work????

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:20:39 AM by backwards1 »

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Various questions about my 2008 C14 NON ABS w/ 12k miles, feel free to take a stab at any of them. Thanks in advance. Mainly should I remove my PC5 before possible warranty work?

1.) DEALERS? - Any recommendations for dealers? Anyone to stay away from? Seattle , WA area.

2.) WARPED ROTORS? -I have noticed a pulsating feel in my front NON ABS breaks for about a year now. Not bad but it's there. Have always wondered if warranty would cover this.

3.) TPMS -Next my TPMS sensor is LOW BATTERY on the front now that it is getting cold.

4.) COLD START UP SMOKE NEAR ENGINE - Last I recently noticed some smoke coming up from the engine on start up. I recently changed the oil so I figured it was oil on the headers or leaking oil filter. I haven't pin pointed where it is coming from sense it only lasts about 30secs on cold start ups. What I have realized is it seems to happen more often when I use the side stand at work compared to leaving the garage in the AM with the center stand used all night. I have read of valve cover gasket leaks on the left hand side which would explain the more common smoke when heading home. But I have noticed smoke a few times in the morning after being on the center stand just far less common.
UPDATE - I just went out in the garage and had to lay down on my back and look up through the lower fairing but could see there is a oil leak up there. I see oil on the tops of the headers where they bolt up to the engine. Not sure exactly where the leak is but there is oil on the engine and header. Wow, only 12k miles, no abusive revving or racing.
5.) REMOVE PC5 before warranty work????

1:  Not near Seattle, but Hillsboro Motosport in Oregon is really good from my experience, and I know ZG takes his bike there too.  Road trip! 

2:  Yes thats covered under warranty, assuming you have one. 

3:  That's also covered under warranty, assuming you have one.  (at least it was for me) (EDIT: if you need new tires soon, wait, and the warranty will pay for the tire removal and install. 

4:  Look into the Cam Sensor O-Ring leak.

I've helped where I can.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
4. If you park you bike on the center stand does it still do it? Mine will only puff on start up when using side stand. If so then yes its the cam sensor o ring.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
4.  Or a leaking valve cover gasket
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline backwards1

• C14 2008
What's the going opinion of aftermarket exhaust,PC5 & butterflies and extended warranties? Should I swap back to stock on any of it? Would rather not but if that's the only way I won't kill my warranty then of course I will undo those mods.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
None of your aftermarket mods have anything to do with the issues you've mentioned. No worries.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
valve cover gasket leakage and exhaust cam sensor oring leakage appear common. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
None of your aftermarket mods have anything to do with the issues you've mentioned. No worries.

Nor should they affect your warranty status (which I think might be his concern).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Nor should they affect your warranty status (which I think might be his concern).

Didn't I just say that?

[Oops, first mod mistake, clicked on edit instead of quote.  Damn buttons too close together and the resulting window looks almost the same!  Sorry, there is no "undo"!  Tried to put it back the best I could :(   -Maxtog]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:12:02 PM by maxtog »

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
I have full AreaP  Flies out and a PC5.  It has no effect on my warranty. They replaced the rotors  twice and the TPMS sensors twice and a hydrolic  cam chain tensioner all under  warranty.   The cam chain tensioner even though it was  brand new was then replaced  with an APE manual tensioner that I paid for. I got tired of the rattle noise at start up

Your oil leak(s) question has already been properly answered.  Let us know if that is covered by the warrantly

You could wait another 12k and replace the two 'O' ring cam sensor seals and the valve cover at the same time you do your valve adjustment.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Didn't I just say that?

Sorta kinda maybe, but not necessarily :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc