Author Topic: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.  (Read 18122 times)

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
Re: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
That isn't being judgemental and dogmatic, it is being realistic. It is just a further reminder that we need to practice emergency braking techniques so we don't lock the rear wheel. Yes, ABS would have prevented that, but people have done without ABS for decades and if you don;t have it, you need to be sure you will be able to brake correctly in an emergency situation. Too many people have a bad habit of stomping the rear brake out of habit, a habit that is "practiced" on a daily basis while riding, instead of using the front and back brake correctly. I see this a lot with my friends who ride cruisers, although I have seen riders of all types of bike do it.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just pointing out the fact the fault wasn't with the lack of ABS, but instead the improper use of the brake. Brakes aren't just for slowing gently to a stop at a stop sign, they are to be able to be used to stop in an emergency situation. People today have been conditioned to simply stomp the brake in their cars due to ABS, that won't work on a motorcycle that does not have ABS. Braking skills are becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately, if you are riding a bike without them, you need those skills.

I know this to be true from personal experience. Not having practiced emergency braking definately aidded in my one and only accident. that ast well as target fixation and the brick of a brake a non-abs 09 C14 has. Practice however has taught me how to better modulate the rear brake on my 09 C14. That was the only time I had wished I'd sprung for the ABS version. Live & learn I suppose. Fortunately the bke was repaired & I healed quickly. If I had it to do again I buy the ABS.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Practice should be done on an ABS bike as well, to learn how the bike (and you) will react under sudden braking... to many think it's there, and that's it. 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline PH14

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
Practice should be done on an ABS bike as well, to learn how the bike (and you) will react under sudden braking... to many think it's there, and that's it.

Amen, we all need to practice,  no matter what we ride.

I know this to be true from personal experience. Not having practiced emergency braking definately aidded in my one and only accident. that ast well as target fixation and the brick of a brake a non-abs 09 C14 has. Practice however has taught me how to better modulate the rear brake on my 09 C14. That was the only time I had wished I'd sprung for the ABS version. Live & learn I suppose. Fortunately the bke was repaired & I healed quickly. If I had it to do again I buy the ABS.

Glad you healed quickly.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »
Screw passengers

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
There are ways to make the 1700 lighter, sexier, and MO FUN to work on  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »
Screw passengers
Depends on the passenger.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
That isn't being judgemental and dogmatic, it is being realistic. It is just a further reminder that we need to practice emergency braking techniques so we don't lock the rear wheel.

This is the primary reason why I was taught to never use the rear brake for "normal" braking, so I would never be tempted to use the rear brake in a panic.  And it worked.  Of course, the flip side is that I ended up never using the rear brake EVER... which, for most riding, is probably fine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
Screw passengers

I love the Rune.

Offline PH14

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »
This is the primary reason why I was taught to never use the rear brake for "normal" braking, so I would never be tempted to use the rear brake in a panic.  And it worked.  Of course, the flip side is that I ended up never using the rear brake EVER... which, for most riding, is probably fine.

I know a lot of people who do that. I definitely does prevent hitting the rear brake hard in a panic. I use my rear brake but mainly use the front. I barely touch the back. It is interesting when practicing to try and modulate it to the threshold.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
I love the de-evolution of a topic of conversation.  Anybody know how many figs in a Fig Newton.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
I checked but could not find out ?
Many people think that if Fig Newtons have figs in them, they must be healthy. The figs in the cookies do provide antioxidants, which help to fight against diseases like cancer. Iron and calcium, which help to make red blood cells and strengthens bones, respectively, are present in Fig Newtons, just as they are in figs. Fig Newtons are a cholesterol-free food, which is good news to eaters who are watching their cholesterol intake. However, if you are eating Fig Newtons for the nutritional value, you would be better off eating the figs themselves. All the nutrients in the Newtons are in the fruits themselves, minus the added calories, sugars, and fats from the cookie dough. In addition, due to their high fiber content, Fig Newtons may cause constipation. To avoid this, make sure you drink enough water.

What ever makes you  ( or your wife ) HAPPY buy It!
I wouldn't get caught dead on one my self,  to each their own. 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »
I love the de-evolution of a topic of conversation.

Welcome to forums!  Just be glad it is still about motorcycles...
You must be new to the Internet or something :)

Subject drift has been a part of every BBS discussion board, USENET newsgroup, Email list, Web Forum, and anything else I left off.  Have lived through it all (and even survived, too)

Oh, and technically, this entire thread doesn't belong in this forum, since it really has nothing to do with the C14...  perhaps it should be moved to the  "It's not a Concours- other Bikes" http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=11.0 forum where it belongs.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
Well have decided against the Voyager, you guys wore me down. That and test drove a Vaquero. Was not bad but the C14 has spoiled me for power.  The bike was solid, comfy and slow. And Max I am not new to the internet and I could care less how far off the threads go, I rather enjoy it actually.  I started the thread to find out how Kawasaki C14 owners felt about another Kawasaki model. Since this is my first Kawasaki since starting riding 1976 I am a little behind the curve on how they stack up.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
Oh, and technically, this entire thread doesn't belong in this forum, since it really has nothing to do with the C14...  perhaps it should be moved to the  "It's not a Concours- other Bikes" http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=11.0 forum where it belongs.

Well, I thought and I thought and then thought some more and decided to leave it here for now...  Course T could come along and move it with a single thought rather than using multiple thoughts.  It's all good for now, I think.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »
Well, I thought and I thought and then thought some more and decided to leave it here for now...  Course T could come along and move it with a single thought rather than using multiple thoughts.  It's all good for now, I think.. ;)

You are going to hurt yourself with all that thinking...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
I think you're right...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »

A Yamaha Venture with carbs is a far better touring cruiser.

I wonder if you could add the Suzuki Cavalcade to that list. I had the cruiser style Suzuki Madura 1200, neat v4 motor that was good for low 11 sec 1/4. To this day, i still wonder why Suzuki didn't do more with that motor.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »
Well have decided against the Voyager, you guys wore me down. That and test drove a Vaquero. Was not bad but the C14 has spoiled me for power. 

Send the pcm to Guhl for a reprogram, then the eco mode will become your slug mode.
Not much room for wife on back, but she hates bikes as it is. If she didn't, I'd think of it as a benefit- I like to ride solo, been on many a solo trip. One benefit of a solo trip is being in a brew pub and never hearing the dreaded words "are you almost done?"