Author Topic: TPS battery replacement under warranty issues(current)  (Read 2869 times)

Offline tjpgi

TPS battery replacement under warranty issues(current)
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
2009 Concours 1400ABS 16,000 miles (ride 2 other bikes also) original TPS batteries.

I was able to extend my original warranty from 9/08 to 9/17 and have been blessed (sort of) with TPS batteries that won't die! I start the ride, Front battery low blinking for several minutes and bam it comes back on. I never had any warranty issues with this bike and I was hoping to have the batteries changed under warranty before next months expiration (and pay to have new rubber installed at same time).

Are you guys finding that dealers will change batteries under warranty for intermittent low battery warning or do they need to be dead completely? Outside of San Antonio...no cold weather here.
Thanks
Tom
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: TPS battery replacement under warranty issues(current)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
Pretty sure your TPMS superceeds to the new model that doesn't have batteries that can be replaced...
'02 C-10

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
Are you guys finding that dealers will change batteries under warranty for intermittent low battery warning

Yes.  But they will be replaced with the new version that is not user-serviceable.  Supposedly the newer ones last longer, but the jury is still out on that.  Just take a video with your phone of the warnings, including the screen that shows your mileage, and show it to the service manager.  And, if you need tires mounted at the same time, they should not charge you for anything but balancing (which at my dealer is a LOT less than full unmount/mount) since they have to remove the tires anyway and will be paid for that by warranty work.  It is the best time to do it, for sure.

Outside of San Antonio...no cold weather here.

That is probably the only reason you have not seen the battery warnings years earlier.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Just a minor point: dealers will not change the batteries but the whole sensor. You may want to change the batteries yourself to keep the older, battery changing friendly design.

Back to the question: Yes, I know a dealer who will not replace TPS sensors just because they are showing that warning but are still actually working. That said, I had someone come to me that that very dealer refused, thought it was a bad call (he wanted the sensors replaced) and I suggested he 'hit it again': he did so and on the second go- around they did replace the sensors.

I have heard this from other people at other dealers also. So it seems to be a soft issue; after an initial 'bounce', it CAN be negotiated if pressed. I guess it depends on the customer's personality and how hard he / she is wiling to press. At first it seems like a small thing but hey, there are over $500 worth of sensors on a bike and considerably more than that if labor is included so it is worth some pressing IMO.

Brian

2009 Concours 1400ABS 16,000 miles (ride 2 other bikes also) original TPS batteries.

I was able to extend my original warranty from 9/08 to 9/17 and have been blessed (sort of) with TPS batteries that won't die! I start the ride, Front battery low blinking for several minutes and bam it comes back on. I never had any warranty issues with this bike and I was hoping to have the batteries changed under warranty before next months expiration (and pay to have new rubber installed at same time).

Are you guys finding that dealers will change batteries under warranty for intermittent low battery warning or do they need to be dead completely? Outside of San Antonio...no cold weather here.
Thanks
Tom
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
At first it seems like a small thing but hey, there are over $500 worth of sensors on a bike and considerably more than that if labor is included

Indeed.  It is an incredible expense and inconvenience to deal with what really amounts to a planned failure of a simple, $2 battery.  They should have used a rechargeable battery with contacts from the valve stem, or perhaps an external sensor.   At a minimum, they could have had a sensor with two or three times the battery for $1 more and have it last a full decade or longer.  I suppose they had to pick a technology which was "out there" and available.  And this "inside the tire" without charging concept is certainly not new or unusual... it is the way it is done in just about all vehicles.  But I think it is crazy, especially for motorcycles (which have a MUCH higher tire dismount/mount cost), that something better was not picked.

So it is hard for me to feel much sympathy for Kawasaki on it costing them a lot under warranty.  Hell, I tell people Kawasaki's Concours factory extended warranty deal is the best out there and not buying it is INSANE... a single round of sensor replacements just paid for the entire thing!  I will be sad when my 9 year warranty is over in 4/2020.

My 2 original sensors in my 2011 C14 only lasted 3 years!
The 4 sensors in my 2009 Infiniti G37S are now 8.5 years old and still working fine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses.

I'll check with the dealer in New Braunfels, Texas and see what they say. I had them do some warranty work on my 2011 GSXR 1000 last year and they were very easy to work with. I don't have the tools to remove the tires from the rim otherwise I would try to replace the batteries using the procedure that has been described by others on this web site. I'll follow up when I have some results. Great idea about recording the screen.

Thanks again
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
There is a procedure to remove the sensors while the wheels are still on the bike.... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
And I just updated the first post to get rid of the Photobucket links and install Imgur photos. It works again, at least for now, regarding photos.

Brian

There is a procedure to remove the sensors while the wheels are still on the bike.... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
And I just updated the first post to get rid of the Photobucket links and install Imgur photos. It works again, at least for now, regarding photos.

Upload your photos to zggtr.org and they should last as long as zggtr.org (in theory, anyway :) )

That was a good procedure to discover, too, for those willing to try and and not under warranty.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
Woods Country Motorcycles New Braunfels,TX said they would replace the TPS under warranty even though my problems is intermittent with low battery on the front tire. Now to decide on a new set of tires. Currently with PR2s that have served me well over the last 10,000 miles.
Going through all of the tire threads..interesting reading...again.

Thanks for all of your input.

Tom
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 01:21:41 PM »
Upload your photos to zggtr.org and they should last as long as zggtr.org (in theory, anyway :) )

That was a good procedure to discover, too, for those willing to try and and not under warranty.

+2

I followed B.D.F.'s method, replaced both batteries and saved myself a lot of cash!  I didn't even have to invent any new cuss words either!  Just maybe uttered one or two of the 'ol reliables...

Thank you again Brian!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
FYI, I had the rear replaced under warranty not quite a year ago. Paid for balance and new tire only (around $25 + the tire).

Went in to get the front done under warranty and they charged me for the tire as well as the mounting/balancing. I didn't have to pay the full price for bringing the bike in and having them remove the wheel though, so it was still cheaper ($50 + the tire). So, see what all they will cover with the warranty work so you know what it will cost up-front.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »

+2

I followed B.D.F.'s method, replaced both batteries and saved myself a lot of cash!  I didn't even have to invent any new cuss words either!  Just maybe uttered one or two of the 'ol reliables...

:finger_fing11:

I can say that the procedure was out of my skill range at the time and since I was under warranty I went the "easy" way... but it also means I now have potted sensors that can never be serviced.