Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > GPS Stuff

How-to: create custom routes/ride on internet maps, upload to NUVI

(1/3) > >>

stevewfl:
It took me and my feeble mind quite some time and a little help to be able to go on the 'net, map a twisties route the way I want to go, and then upload the route to my Nuvi.

This thread serves two purposes:

1) Perhaps someone has a Nuvi that may enjoy uploading custom routes into it
2) It serves as notes for me so I can refer back to it

Directions:

Plug GPS into computer.

Go to a site that allows one to create a custom route and map it. This one is simple enough not only for me but Hardly-Ableson riders too and is very useful: http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Go to top right of web page and click "GPS SYNCHRONIZATION"

Let the page find your GPS, name and click to auto  "EXPORT STOPS AND WAYPOINTS"

When you see "export complete" click "CLOSE

Unplug GPS from computer and allow it to power up.

Now retrieve the route file by tapping "the wrench icon", then scroll and tap "my data", then tap (whatever you named that ride) and it should be checked, then "import". 

OK now go back and click wrench, then click "Custom Routes", and you will see your ride you made. Tap (select) it, and hit GO!

I'll be mapping out some wild rides to do in thr twisties between FL and upstate Maine and the mountains between

Rhino:
Awesome! I always wanted to figure out how to do this. So I tried it with my NUVI 3450 and successfully exported a GPX file from the HD website onto the device. On the device there is a folder called GPX and has routes I created on the device. However when I disconnect the NUVI from the computer and start it up, touch Settings (the wrench) I do not see "my data". Can't seem to find custom routes at all.

Rhino:
Figured it out. On the NUVI 3450 once you have uploaded a GPX file, restart the GPS and from the opening screen:

Apps->Trip Planner

You should now see your custom route under the name you gave it.

I love it! I'm going use this on Saturday to ride from my home near Colorado Springs to Grants NM using all back roads.

stevewfl:
AWESOME!

RFH87_Connie:
Now that you can do that, you must go here...

http://www.poi-factory.com/

This is where I get all of the fun points of interest that will pop up on the GPS if they are within a distance you specify.

I get all the mom 'n pop BBQ, sandwich, and ice cream places; Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives; Pure gas; TV show type restaurants; stinky places; off-beat tourist attractions, the list goes on and on.

edit: It will take a couple of hours (at least the first time) to go thru their site to get all of the things you want and download them.  You do need to sign-in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version