Author Topic: ZX14 Fork Swap completed  (Read 709 times)

Offline bmidd

ZX14 Fork Swap completed
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:54:34 PM »
Fork swap from a 2017 ZX14 SE is completed and I got a good 120 miles in today to get it sorted out. The fork oil level is 110mm and I used Maxima 125-150 7wt oil. I swapped out the springs with 1.2kg/mm and free sag is 30mm+5mm rider for a total of 35mm. The forks are pulled 7mm through the top triple. I set the compression in the middle(8 clicks out from full) and adjusted the rebound from there. Went about 60 miles and got things warmed up and had to add 3 more clicks of rebound when the oil warmed up. The ride is more compliant than the C14 forks were and now every bump doesn't feel like a sharp edged bump or thump. ZX14 has more fork travel and the bottom out is 13mm from the lower and I had a good 10-12mm cushion from that. I'll push it a little more next ride and make adjustments from there. Oh yeah, the Brembo calipers look nice too!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: ZX14 Fork Swap completed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 07:54:08 AM »
With the forks 7mm above top triple are they touching the bottom of the risers. I can't remember how far up mine are but I had to buy a 1/2 inch spacer for my risers.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 09:23:05 AM »
Well done!
Looks good.
Apparently the ZX forks have both compression and rebound adjustment?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline bmidd

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »
With the forks 7mm above top triple are they touching the bottom of the risers. I can't remember how far up mine are but I had to buy a 1/2 inch spacer for my risers.

I have the wedges under mine, no riser blocks and I still have about 3-4mm clearance left.

Offline bmidd

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Well done!
Looks good.
Apparently the ZX forks have both compression and rebound adjustment?

Ride safe, Ted
Yes sir, they do. That was the primary intent for switching. I had an old set of 07-08 ZX14 forks, but ran across this whole front end from the Brembo equipped 2017 and couldn't pass it up.

Offline CDII

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 05:31:11 AM »
Nice! Glad more of us are doing this. It's a worthwhile mod.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
I have the wedges under mine, no riser blocks and I still have about 3-4mm clearance left.
I have not seen the wedges but I assume they change the angle as well as raise the bars. The way I came to install the ZX forks was I sent my OEMs to GP Supension for cartridges. They told me one of my forks was cracked so I bought a set of ZX14 take offs on Ebay and had them sent to GP. I was told the ZX forks were 10 mm longer than the ZG and should be raised that much. I had to buy the risers to do that. Also, The ZX forks were not ABS so I had to mill and drill and tap the right fork bottom to accomodate the speed sensor.

Those Brembos do look nice!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
I have not seen the wedges but I assume they change the angle as well as raise the bars.

Yep, that is exactly how they work.  They are very thin on the inside and moderately thin on the outside.  I have them, in addition to risers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc