Author Topic: project D sliders  (Read 5120 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
project D sliders
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Anyone with the project D sliders have experience with how well they protect the bike in event of a drop?
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: project D sliders
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »
Oil thread!
I mean MPG thread!
Ooops, I mean tire thread!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:56:06 AM »
Anyone with the project D sliders have experience with how well they protect the bike in event of a drop?

I have them, but fortunately haven't had to test them.  If I had the money, I would have probably gone with the top blocks.  :-)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »
I had them. They didn't seem beefy enough. If the bike was 100% still and you gently let it down they would do fine. But if the bike slid at all I would expect them to collapse. Fortunately I have never tested this theory. I replaced them with canyon cages.

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
I have the GSG sliders. I would pick them over the Project D sliders. The Canyon Cages and the Top Block sliders would most likely do a better job than both. I bought the GSG set when we had a group buy. Back then you could only get the Top Block in Europe and the other option looked like handicapped rails from a bathroom. The newer low profile Canyon Cages look decent but I still don't really care for the ones they list for the 2008-2009. They look better than the original ones but not by much. I still may get a set at some point, probably after my eyesight fails.  ;)

http://www.whaccessories.com/Kawasaki-Sliders-Concours-GTR-1400.htm

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
I have the GSG sliders too.  They really don't save much at all in a parking lot drop.  You incur slightly less damage in a drop with them vs. without them.

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
I have the GSG sliders too.  They really don't save much at all in a parking lot drop.  You incur slightly less damage in a drop with them vs. without them.

That's what I figured. The Canyon Cages will protect better. The GSG sliders were the better choice for me at the time. Then the Canyon Cages were ugly as sin.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
 The Top Blocks actually look ok, have to save up.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »

Yeah they are the nicest looking option and actually do protect.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:21:37 PM »
Yeah they are the nicest looking option and actually do protect.

Although not as well as the Canyons do.... (especially if you add the rear ones).   Certainly no touching the looks of the Top Blocks, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
Although not as well as the Canyons do.... (especially if you add the rear ones).   Certainly no touching the looks of the Top Blocks, though.

And the Canyon Cages give a place to mount pegs if one so desires. I would probably save my money and get the Canyon Cages. They would be on the bike sooner rather than later. You never know when you may drop the bike.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
If anyone who's considering purchasing our Canyon Cage and/or Saddle Bag Guards has any specific questions regarding them, their design, installation, etc. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or email!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline SkyWalker

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:10:33 PM »
My 2012 C-14 has Projeck-D Sliders (front axle, fairing and rear swingarm)

3 weeks ago when balancing my bike from the sidestand it suddenly tip over on its RH, the very first drop  :yikes:

After a few words destined to the gods, I picked it up and assessed the collaterals.

4 points of contact: fairing slider, bottom matte grey fairing upper corner, rear swingarm slider and bottom fwd corner of side panier.

No bending of Projeck-D components.

Scratches to bodywork are in area that are not really apparent from standing by.

Verdict: mission accomplished.